Big Nog: It was stupid

by Guga Noblat | source: globo.com

Big Nog talked with Brazilina media giant OGlobo about his ultimately losing fight vs. Frank Mir on Saturday night.

"It was stupid. The fight was won, but I made up my mind to go for a submission. Two more shots and I knocked out Mir for sure. But I wanted to finish the fight beautifully. I wanted to finish with a submission.

"For a long time I had not finished a fight with a submission, so for a moment I wanted to submit him (laughs). But it was stupid, I was should have gotten the knock out. The fight was mine and I missed the opportunity.

"I felt very well. I was fast with good movement and very confident. I tried to submit when I was in a position where he could counter attack and he ended up taking my arm. I made a mistake, it was stupid ..."

Read entire article... (original Portuguese(

Shock Doctor Mouthguard Case

Shock Doctor Mouthguard Case

Affliction Mass Power Thermal

Affliction Mass Power Thermal

Art Corvelay site profile image

12/14/11 7:22 AM by Art Corvelay

I agree, I have been using Nog to humiliate my friends for years--he's 50.

Winston Wolf site profile image

12/14/11 7:15 AM by Winston Wolf

lol @ NOg being 35 hes got to be over 40

Art Corvelay site profile image

12/14/11 2:26 AM by Art Corvelay

I would say the best submission fighter he has subbed is Herring, and the most dangerous MMA fighter he's subbed is Cro Cop, while the most entertaining fighter he's subbed is Sapp.

EKPOGI site profile image

12/14/11 2:19 AM by EKPOGI

^who's the best submission fighter that Nog has submitted before?Enson?

Art Corvelay site profile image

12/14/11 1:28 AM by Art Corvelay

Nog is no spring chicken. He is the king of MMA BJJ from the guard, particularly closed guard attacks. I am convinced that he sought to embarrass Mir, and that this wasn't simply a classic Nog finish attempt.

Wasa-B site profile image

12/14/11 1:26 AM by Wasa-B

On the other hand, I think Herring feared this too much and did not follow up on Nog on the ground in fight 3 in the UFC when he dropped him with that kick.

Wasa-B site profile image

12/14/11 1:24 AM by Wasa-B

Mir was hurt. Nog may even have the better overall ground game as Mir has been flattened on the ground on numerous occasions. Mir just did what Mir does best, be the HW Rumina Sato.

GladiatorGannon site profile image

12/13/11 10:35 PM by GladiatorGannon

Championship caliber jiujitsu guys can do elite jiujitsu on autopilot, it's that deeply ingrained. That's why you DON'T go for subs when the ref will stop it on strikes in under 2 seconds anyway. If the guy can defend for even a few seconds, he'll get his wits back and you're starting from scratch. Maynard made the same mistake Frankie Edgar.

greg155 site profile image

12/13/11 11:32 AM by greg155

nog has 2 losses to him but still looks like the better fighter.

Sprawl'n'Stall site profile image

12/13/11 11:23 AM by Sprawl'n'Stall

Nog made a huge mistake, but I can understand why he didn't secure his position before going for the sub: Mir seemed almost out. Yet somehow Mir had all his wits and reacted with perfect technique. Even in the postfight interview Mir seemed 100% there, like nothing happened. Mir finished Nog two times, and he was the first to stop him with strikes, and now the first (and probably last) to sub him. So I'll give him his dues. That's damn impressive. But LOL at him winning 99 out of 100. Didn't you see that fight? Nog would have won if not for his misguided sub attempt.

MMA apparel and training equipment
MMA clothing and gear