Dennis Hallman: I pissed off 'Uncle Dana' and Joe Silva

source: sherdog.com

At UFC 140 Dennis Hallman submitted John Makdessi in less that three minutes. The dominant perfomance saved his job, as a lesser win would probably have led to his being cut by the organization, so incensed were UFC matchmaker Joe Silva, and UFC President Dana White, for Hallman's missing weight, and banana hammock, respectively.

“Joe [Silva] told me directly to my face that it was bad news and I’m probably going to get cut,” Hallman said on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show of his weighing in at 158.5 for a 156 cut off. “I said, ‘Well, I guess I’m going to have to put on the performance of my life then, huh?’ and he said, ‘Yes, sir.’”

“If I would have lost this fight after pissing Uncle Dana off with the bikini and then not making weight, if I would have not have performed, if I wouldn’t have finished this guy, if I would have fought him to a decision or something, then I could have expected to get cut even if I would have won. But I think that giving him the business and handling him the way I did probably saved my job and gave me one more chance to not screw up again.”

“I used the same [weight-cutting] plan that I used 10 years ago, which is ignorant on my part. I’m 36 now instead of 25, like the last time I made the weight. Really it’s about a four-day difference of dieting that I would have had to do to make the weight. That mistake won’t happen again. I’ll be on top of things and I’ll make the 156-pound weight and then rehydrate completely like I did this time.”

“I had to pay five grand to that kid. I don’t want to pay five grand to anybody anymore for not making weight, so that’s not going to happen anymore. … Between my pro and [amateur] fights, I have over 100 fights and this is the first time I didn’t make weight. I’m ashamed of it, and it won’t happen again.”

Read entire article...
Listen to entire interview... ((27:35 mark)

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

tags: UFC   Dana White   Joe Silva   Dennis Hallman (detail)

bonersaurus site profile image

12/16/11 12:51 PM by bonersaurus

So true. The fine needs to be stiffer and worse for repeat offenders.

r_o_y site profile image

12/16/11 12:47 PM by r_o_y

...........they cut madsen after one loss?!

Bat21 site profile image

12/16/11 12:16 PM by Bat21

Well, at least Makdessi got the extra 5K for taking a beating against a much bigger opponent.

blueheron20816 site profile image

12/16/11 12:13 PM by blueheron20816

You sir, are a master of the english language lol. There are only 2 things that you absolutely HAVE TO DO as a professional fighter: 1. Show up 2. Make weight. Nobody is going to make you train or get in shape, but at that level, there is absolutely no excuse for coming in over weight. In wrestling, there can be over 30 weigh ins during a 3-4 month season, sometimes with multiple weight ins a week(consecutive days in some cases). In the UFC, they are weighing in, on average, 3 times a year. I personally dont think a fighter should be allowed to compete if they miss weight. The last few pounds are always the hardest to shed, so why is it fair that his opponent had to drain himself to cut the last couple pounds? Dont get me wrong, I like Hallman, hes a seasoned veteran with some legit skills, but missing weight is inexcusable at the highest level of mixed martial arts.

GageIsLegend site profile image

12/16/11 12:13 PM by GageIsLegend

lastcall - Boring performance? Wtf were you watching he owned makdessi and the fight didn't even last a round. You may need to up your add medicine so you can pay attention longer than 15 minutes.

notsometourist site profile image

12/16/11 12:05 PM by notsometourist

@BrCutterIt was me that asked. Yeah he's gone. I knew he was cut, I just didn't know why. It seems he was cut for being a Fitch-fighter. Then when he lost, via cut btw, he got cut. I'm pretty sure the UFC contracts state that a fighter can only be cut with a losing record or if the fighter loses his most recent fight or if the fighter has done something to damage the image of the company. If Fitch ever fucking loses or says something even remotely offensive, like "I hate dogs", he will get cut.

Carne de cavalo é o melhor site profile image

12/16/11 11:39 AM by Carne de cavalo é o melhor

SamboMMA - Dana has released more relevant fighters for less.Torres for quoting an FX show, and Duffee for "not liking his attitude".

SamboMMA site profile image

12/16/11 11:29 AM by SamboMMA

lastcall - No sir. You are the idiot. How many times have we seen [and continue to see] Dana holding petty grudges because not everybody bows down to worship him? Too many to keep track. He is a petty bastard. Too bad if you don't want to admit it.

doobs site profile image

12/16/11 11:05 AM by doobs

I think Dana White would have enjoyed Hallman's bikini and would have been frustrated the fight ended early.

1800champagne site profile image

12/16/11 11:04 AM by 1800champagne

LOL!

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!