K Sos has no memory of talking retirement, doc will determine future

by Steven Marrocco | source: mmajunkie.com

UFC President Dana White's UFC 141 blog (see below) showed a UFC 140 post fight scene in which Krzysztof Soszynski appeared to retire. May not be true, as Soszynski told MAJunkie.com, he has no memory of it.

"I'm sitting down surfing the net, and I come across Dana White's video blog," said Soszynski. "I pop it on because I'm always a fan of those things, and next thing you know, there I am."

"The last thing I remember before the knockout was going into the cage, setting up across from Igor, and then shaking hands. The next thing I remember is I'm woken up in the back, fully dressed, and Joe Silva came up to me, sort of gave me a hug and told me to keep my head up."

"It's rough. But I had wondered for the last two weeks if Igor came up to me and said anything. And we did talk, so that was pretty cool."

"The knockout has nothing to do with anything. I've been dealing with a lot of injuries. Ever since UFC 110 in Austrailia with that crazy war with Stephan Bonnar, my body has not been the same. Not even close. I don't think I've ever fought close to 70 percent since that first fight with Bonnar. The retirement thing has been on my mind for a little while, only because I can't train the way I want to train because of all these injuries.

"I have to go see my doctor again this week. I have to see if I need any more surgeries, and it's just been really rough, mentally. I've trained 15 weeks for my camps, and I've pushed my body to the limit, but there's no security. It's myself, too. I started in the sport really late. I don't have those kind of skills that the top fighters do where I can make it in the top-five, top-10, and start making $50,000, $60,000 and $70,000 per fight. I'm in the lower echelon when it comes to the money the UFC gives out to the fighters, and it's tough to survive with that kind of money. I have to supplement my income. I have to work other jobs. So moving on from MMA is something that's been on my mind for the last little bit."

"I don't want to go out the way I did. I definitely want to fight one more time. But it's not up to me; it's up to my body. If my body lets me, I'll be in that octagon once again, smiling across the octagon from my opponent, shaking hands and going to war. But until I talk to my doctor and get checked out, I won't know what's going on."

"I have to weigh all the options and see what the right option is for me. I've always said that I am a better coach than a fighter, and if this opportunity comes my way with the UFC gym in Torrance, it could be a great opportunity for me to pass on the knowledge that I have to some of my new students."

Read entire article...

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

tags: UFC   Krzysztof Soszynski (detail)

Stryfe1982 site profile image

1/1/12 1:37 AM by Stryfe1982

Boxing isn't going anywhere. Give it up dude. I'm all for KSOS getting paid but your boxing argument is tired and lame. Been hearing this shit since Dana White said "Boxing is your grandfather's sport" and that was like 10-15 years ago....Boxing is far more popular world wide then MMA. That is a fact. There are a lot of big names in boxing right now. MMA fans only know 2. Mayweather and Pacquiao... If it's not one or the other then it's not a big fight according to them.... Meanwhile boxing is blowing the fucking gate out consistently with big numbers and big money world wide that UFC/MMA can't dream of fucking with... Yeah, boxing is dying alright...

TheBear228 site profile image

1/1/12 1:16 AM by TheBear228

Why is it a different story? What does appearing regularly have to do with it? Aren't they being paid for their performance?

UnderTheClock site profile image

12/30/11 1:33 AM by UnderTheClock

The overwhelming number of pro boxers work full time jobs. Just the top guys don't. Prelim guys on the biggest cards often get 2 grand. An mma fighter is "worth" what he can command. If that is all KS can get someone to pay him, that is what he is worth to the penny. If you're talking a sport where people appear regularly, like hockey, baseball, football, basketball, as opposed to a couple of times a year, that's a different story.

haqzore site profile image

12/29/11 10:04 PM by haqzore

TheBear228Member Since: 10/4/08Posts: 1681 It's a fair point, but if this sport is ever going to be in the same breath as the NFL and MLB, as Dana himself speaks of, the money has to get a little bit better.No professional athlete on a PPV or nationally televised event should make less than $50,000 - $70,000 a year. By your rationale, what does the utility infielder do for the Pittsburgh Pirates? He bats maybe .260 and doesn't put a single fan in the seat. But he still makes the league minimum, which is over $200,000.I understand this is a sport of individuals versus a team, but opening and mid-card fights are just as important as the 8th ans 9th guys in a batting lineup. They all serve a purpose, they all contribute to the success of the event, and they all should be paid enough to live a comfortable life doing so. -------------------well said.maybe they dont sell a ticket, but they do serve a purpose. no matter how many people love GSP/ASilva/Lesnar.... there would be less tickets & PPV's sold if that was the only, one, single fight to be seen.it may be small - but they still serve a purpose.

kelby site profile image

12/29/11 8:38 PM by kelby

fuck the money. he has episodes. that is scary shit right there man. that happened to me couple times. i had seizures about four times now. and i sometimes get those episodes, where i lose a few seconds.not worth it for him.

TheBear228 site profile image

12/29/11 8:04 PM by TheBear228

It's a fair point, but if this sport is ever going to be in the same breath as the NFL and MLB, as Dana himself speaks of, the money has to get a little bit better. No professional athlete on a PPV or nationally televised event should make less than $50,000 - $70,000 a year. By your rationale, what does the utility infielder do for the Pittsburgh Pirates? He bats maybe .260 and doesn't put a single fan in the seat. But he still makes the league minimum, which is over $200,000. I understand this is a sport of individuals versus a team, but opening and mid-card fights are just as important as the 8th ans 9th guys in a batting lineup. They all serve a purpose, they all contribute to the success of the event, and they all should be paid enough to live a comfortable life doing so.

My Old Name Is Not Allowed site profile image

12/29/11 6:22 PM by My Old Name Is Not Allowed

That is definately an important point to add in Krysztof's case, there is another side to that... I will consider myself a casual fan. Outside of what I learn on the UG and the friends I have that fight locally, I don't follow anything but the easily accessible MMA shows on HDNet, Strikeforce, and of course UFC. I will watch some BJJ matches when posted on here if I know the names being mentioned, but honestly I don't follow the independant martial arts much. I had no clue who even you were until TUF. I saw you on the forums, but like most greennames, I had no idea of your accomplishments. So like K Sos, without the TUF exposure and limited showings on UFC undercards, most casual fans wouldn't know who you guys were. The contracts probably aren't the best coming out of the house for the guys that didn't win it all, but at the same time, how would they compare to say a contract for a fighter without that exposure?I'm asking this honestly from your own experience because I truly don't know...What kind of offers would you get from other promotions during the time it would take you to get enough wins to be offered a contract from the UFC that's equal to someone who didn't come in through TUF, compared to the contract someone gets after coming out of TUF without winning?Would the TUF contract be comparable, better, or worse than what you would have had to go through without the name recognition in smaller shows, to earn the same shot?

jjj2121 site profile image

12/29/11 5:42 PM by jjj2121

I also speak the truth. I love MMA and boxing, but let's not pretend MMA is burying boxing like Dana says is true, they both have ups and downs and are both great sports. UFC PPV buy rates were down significantly in 2011, that's fact. The UFC needs new stars to replace the Chucks, Randys, Titos, and BJ's...

AssassinsNATION site profile image

12/29/11 5:28 PM by AssassinsNATION

^^^ damn I gotta give it to you your persistent lol

jjj2121 site profile image

12/29/11 3:25 PM by jjj2121

2011 PPV buys are down 25 percent or so. That's not building momentum, that is losing momentum.