King Mo: Let Kim Winslow fight Cris Cyborg, I'll be the bad ref

source: mmajunkie.com

There has been widespread fan dissatisfaction with referee Kim Winslow performance in several recent bouts. Some have attributed the jeers to sexist unease with the third man in the cage being a woman, and in fact many of the criticisms voiced have a distinct and unfortunate mysoginistic bent.

However, it is far less usual for complaints to come from with the cage, and far less usual still for the winning fighter to voice concern, as did Mo Lawal after his ref stoppage victory over Lorenz Larkin last night. Mo feels was the stoppage was so late it is time Winslow learns what a late stoppage feels like.

"I'm going to put it like this: The commission, they need to do something with [Winslow]," Lawal said to MMAJunkie. "Let her take a fight or something and give her a bad ref."

"She said backstage, 'If I hear 'Ow' or 'Ouch' or 'Ooh,' I'm going to stop the fight,'" Lawal explained. "Man, this dude was cussing. I hit him, and he's like, 'Oh, [expletive].' I was like, 'Uh, ref?'

"I looked at her, so I kept on hitting him. I was like, 'Man, she needs to stop this thing.' I heard people in the crowd yelling, 'Stop it!' Then she jumps in all late."

Lawal said Winslow explained post-fight that her call was based on a desire to give Larkin every possible chance to recover and that "If it takes for him to be asleep, that's what it is."

"She's never taken a punch before, so it's easy for her to say that," Lawal said.

"Let [Winslow] fight 'Cyborg,' and let's do a late stoppage with her. I watched her almost get Jan Finney killed by 'Cyborg.' I think maybe the tables need to be turned. Put me in there as a ref, and I'll just do a terrible job like her."

Strikeforces-lawal-rips-on-kermit-mousasi-sub-par-actor-jackson-bad-ref-winslow.mma" target="_blank">Read entire article...

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

MMAWarehouse Logo Hat

MMAWarehouse Logo Hat

Super Body Care Shower Gel 8oz

Super Body Care Shower Gel 8oz

tags: Strikeforce   King Mo   Mo Lawal   Jan Finney   Cris Cyborg   Kim Winslow

radiobaby site profile image

1/9/12 5:26 PM by radiobaby

Agreed. There was literally nothing at all wrong with it, spot on.

puddlesmith site profile image

1/9/12 1:41 PM by puddlesmith

It's pretty well documented on how people many die in a boxing match, it's when they are slung up against the ropes and the guy is throwing the same power punch, over and over again. Replace ropes with ground in this case and it's the same scenario. Just a matter of time when we have bad refs.

saemskin site profile image

1/9/12 1:37 PM by saemskin

The looks on his face are your interpretation. I go by the words that came out of his mouth. I didn't realize you had a telepathic link to Larkins mental state from your warrior chair.I also didn't realize that I could single handedly stagnate this sport with my absurd observations. I will be more responsible now that I am aware of this "problem". If Larkin comes out and states he felt the fight was stopped late, I will recant. Until then, you are just another dumass attempting to crucify someone for disagreeing with your -not at all important- opinion.

Killahbeez79 site profile image

1/9/12 8:23 AM by Killahbeez79

That made me so angry I nearly turned off the fight! You mean to tell me Clay "Shoulder Hump" Guida can rub up against his opponents face while being double wrist controlled and in guard and not get stood up. While King Mo gets stood up in half guard while throwing bombs? The same bombs from the same position that ended the fight? Dissapoint.

Macedawgg site profile image

1/9/12 2:15 AM by Macedawgg

This is a ridiculous post, for a number of reasons.  What was Mo saying before the post fight interview, WHILE the action was ocurring?  What was Mo saying RIGHT after the fight?  He was indicating the fight should be stopped DURING the fight, and expressing his extreme displeasure with the ref after the fight.  For the post fight interview Mo was polite--but what did Mo say after in media interviews?  The same thing he was saying DURING and RIGHT after the fight.  Further--to say the ONLY opinion that matters is the two combatants is just absurd.  If that's the case, why have commissions?  Why have officials at all?  The Referee is there to protect the fighter--because by nature, the vast majority of fighters will push on, despite their well being.  If you want this sport to continue to grow and thrive, the standard you propose is absurd.

role model site profile image

1/9/12 1:56 AM by role model

It was a pretty bad moment for MMA officiating.The incident that stands out in my mind (though I can't remember the exact fight) was when two guys were on the ground and she was standing right next to them and blocked some guys sweep by getting in the way. She honestly just doesn't seem to be up to par with the other officials in the big shows.

saemskin site profile image

1/9/12 1:21 AM by saemskin

this is why i dont like mauro ranallo. trying to stir up trouble where there is none. in your ear all the time.the only 2 people that have a comment here are King Mo and Larkin. Everything else is moot.Mo said right in the cage that were he being beaten he doesn't want it stopped unless he's out cold, which means he's fine with the way it went down.What does Larkin say? He's the only other opinion that matters here.

bhealthy site profile image

1/8/12 11:28 PM by bhealthy

she should juice, then her performance would be enhanced!

CaptainWoody site profile image

1/8/12 11:13 PM by CaptainWoody

Not just late stoppages, early her M.O. was quick stops.I'll see if I can find the vid, she basically stops a fight when a fighter is DEFENDING a rnc.Worst ref in the business.... hands down

puddlesmith site profile image

1/8/12 11:02 PM by puddlesmith

Basically until someone is killed or put into a coma, refs can be as horrible as they want. Everything is reactionary and as long as the guy gets up afterwards, poor refs don't have to worry.

MMA apparel and training equipment
BLACK FRIDAY