Shalorus' key to victory: stop eating

by John Morgan | source: mmajunkie.com

When Kamal Shalorus came up in short a UFC-debut bout against Jim Miller, he knew he had to do something to get better.

While the first step was to relocate from Texas to Antoni Hardonk's Dynamix MMA camp in California, the second step might surprise you.

The "Prince of Persia" decided to stop eating.

"I have more energy," Shalorus recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio. "I used to eat five times a day on a different diet and was always tired.

Shalorus, of course, hasn't totally shut out solid-food intake, but he's pretty close. Following the tenants of the "Warrior Diet," the Iranian-born Shalorus now eats just one meal a day, in the evening, that typically consists of lean protein, fruits and vegetables and coconut water.

FX-1-success-stop-eating.mma">read entire article...

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

tags: Kamal Shalorus (detail)  UFC   FX

GBDazzler site profile image

1/19/12 5:07 PM by GBDazzler

Watch out for hassan's brother esi he is a good wrestler, don't get me wrong he's a good wrestler, but not as good as people make him out to be.

GBDazzler site profile image

1/19/12 5:06 PM by GBDazzler

He isn't a world champ or to regional level in iran he went to olympic trials for britain lost both matches he had, hassan muradi was easily beating him in wrestling and hassan is greco.

Gokudamus stole my name site profile image

1/17/12 8:02 AM by Gokudamus stole my name

^^ not sure where you got your info but if you are referring to wrestling, he was never a world champion. You can easily look him up at FILAs database

Phil Cardella site profile image

1/17/12 2:06 AM by Phil Cardella

What nobody knows is Kamal is very undisciplined when it comes to food. I don't know how many times he would come to me with a big old smile and tell you about how much he would eat.. He would take the extra "punishment" training to loose the weight gladly.. Like a grinning dog coming over to gladly take its swats with the rolled up newspaper after getting in the trash can after turkey day! He needs something very strict & monitored. I hope he finds something that works for him with it. He will stress out anyone monitoring his eating habits as friend or minimally paid coach. I had worked with him on his grappling the very 1st time he came to the USA. He was running around Texas with his cauliflower ears and a flyer of mine to spar as much as possible. He trained directly under me for several years. I have seen him on the mats with several multiple time world champs of Jiu-Jitsu he has the ability when sharp to be a problem for anyone. When he was trained up with me at the peak of the grappling training I did, before he focused more on striking. For those questioning his wrestling, thats silly, he earned the title World Champ for a reason. Don't be dumb, he would fireman's carry toss you out of the cage if he had a little step stool to stand on!

NarlyPersianDude site profile image

1/17/12 12:07 AM by NarlyPersianDude

and I root for Kamal, but I am baffled by him. The same feeling I get when I watch Akiyama I get with Kamal, both of these guys are so fucking talented, very high level in talent relative to their division, but it's like they choose to fight in the way most advantagous to their opponent, no regard for defense, complete avoidance of their grappling prowess and preditable all out attack that any decent counter striker can exploit.I never saw Kamal fight and think he needs to adjust his diet, more like adjust his style. He does not need to take a guy down and pull a Woodley, but set a tone, get a takedown early, and pour it on the guy when you get the double leg, then later in the fight, your striking will be improved becuase he knows you might take him down, pretty easy.And I dont understand eating once a day, I thought you are supposed to break it up in 5 smaller meals instead of 3, to keep you energrize throughout the day, I dont grasp how 1 mean late keeps you more energized, but what do I know. I confuse

NarlyPersianDude site profile image

1/17/12 12:02 AM by NarlyPersianDude

Did this guy really just say this, holy moly.

GladiatorGannon site profile image

1/16/12 11:52 PM by GladiatorGannon

Because when your opponents have better jiujitu than you, "using your wrestling" means staying on your feet and banging away.

GBDazzler site profile image

1/16/12 8:45 PM by GBDazzler

Whats so funny? Name me his wrestling credentials, kamal is a good wrestler, but not that good and the way he wrestles doesn't translate well.

Johnny Tightlips site profile image

1/16/12 4:07 PM by Johnny Tightlips

Lol funny

GBDazzler site profile image

1/16/12 10:28 AM by GBDazzler

Because his wrestling isn't that good.