Sonnen: Silva and I will never fight

source: mmamania.com

Ain't happening.

Not that the promotion isn't sincere in its efforts to deliver said rematch to a nation of passionate mixed martial arts (MMA) fans, but Silva, currently rehabbing multiple injuries, is probably done as a combat sports fighter and will soon be hanging up the gloves for good.

That's according to Sonnen, who told media members at Friday's UFC on FOX 2 media conference call that Silva rejected a proposed rematch "four out of four times" and may in fact, never fight again.

"I can guarantee you Anderson Silva and I will never cross paths again. He's not getting into the ring with me, ever. I called him out publicly. You call out a Brazilian publicly; you're going to be fighting that Brazilian. That's in their culture. I don't think he's ever going to fight again. That's my personal opinion. What I know for a fact is that he turned me down four out of four times. He personally said no to Lorenzo Fertitta's face. I think that (the UFC) is sincere. I think that they mean it. But I can tell you that behind the scenes, they've tried to put Anderson and me together four times and four times he said no. I become the number one contender and can get past Bisping, I'm gonna sit down with Dana and we're going to have a talk about (Georges St. Pierre) or Jon Jones. I'm not under any illusion that it's going to be Anderson Silva."

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

TapouT Chael Sonnen UFC 167 Respect Is Earned Shirt

TapouT Chael Sonnen UFC 167 Respect Is Earned Shirt

OnlyTheStrongSurvive site profile image

1/22/12 3:36 PM by OnlyTheStrongSurvive

as if he'd be in any sort of a position to fight gsp or Bones next. Can you imagine Dana telling Rashad or Nick Diaz they don't fight for the title cuz Chael is?

The Notorious OMG site profile image

1/22/12 11:48 AM by The Notorious OMG

whatever chaeldiaz/condit winner is fighting GSP... lame that you would want to move down and fight a much smaller guy anywayand rashad and hendo are fighting bones nextsorry bud, have a seat on the bench thenand he's gonna look REALLY bad for saying that if he loses to bisping... really really bad

SKARHEAD site profile image

1/22/12 11:38 AM by SKARHEAD

LOL @ anyone watching that fight and NOT understanding why Anderson and his camp do not want to be within 100miles of Sonen...much less locked in a 3o fot cage w/ him.QUACK ! QUACK !! QUUUUACK !!!

SKARHEAD site profile image

1/22/12 11:36 AM by SKARHEAD

Anderson isn't toying w/ him...He's AVOIDING him. A little different.

SKARHEAD site profile image

1/22/12 11:34 AM by SKARHEAD

Uuuuh, NO...A MUCH bigger FU is to beat him TWICE and anser ALL the questions for all time.That is what fighter's and champs and especially GOATs do against their biggest challenges ever...not avoid them at all cost and chase a fight w/ smaller 170bs fighters who clearly want no part of it.Anderson just doesn't want to be a helpless ragdoll again and be forced to rely on being Royce Gracie to pull off a win.

SKARHEAD site profile image

1/22/12 11:30 AM by SKARHEAD

^^ L M A O ^^ooooOOOOKaaay..sure

SinCityHustler site profile image

1/22/12 9:04 AM by SinCityHustler

Agreed 100%.  But officially on the record, GSP bailed on the Condit fight.  Who knows, we could be wrong and GSP really did want nothing to do with Condit.  Doubtful but all we have is GSP's good word.

Argo site profile image

1/22/12 3:39 AM by Argo

Never said I would not buy the fight. Just saying that both Silva and Sonnen have not proven to be big PPV sales giants like GSP or Brock. Hardcore fans care more about this than casuals.

Argo site profile image

1/22/12 3:37 AM by Argo

I don't buy it that GSP bailed or demanded anything. This is Dana pulling the strings and doing what he thinks he needs to do to sell the fights. Just like he now states that GSP hates Diaz.Dana the puppetmaster.

GMB13 site profile image

1/21/12 11:36 PM by GMB13

Jones would absolutely ragdoll Sonnen.  Sonnen would be lucky to make it out of the first.