Junior Assuncao on UFC firing: 'It was personal'

by Tom Ngo | source: 5thround.com

30-year-old Brazilian fighter Junior Assuncao went 1-2 during his first run in the UFC, which ended when he was submitted by Nate Diaz at UFN 11, in September 2007.

Then he put together a six-fight win streak, and returned, beating Eddie Yagin at UFC 135 in his first fight back. At UFC 141 last month he dropped a unanimous decision to Ross Pearson, and now has been released by the UFC.

Via twitter the baffled featherweight expressed thanks to the UFC, and promised to return, again.

Its not the end,I come from a poor family, we've had worst days before. Ready for the next test!!

Like we say in BRAZIL, poor people's happiness never less long lol

No leverage to argue with the UFC. Maybe my "manager" will say something

it was personal

Read entire twitter..

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

tags: UFC   Junior Assuncao (detail)

Porkchop site profile image

1/26/12 1:36 AM by Porkchop

this is a good idea. but maybe it would be more fair, imo, if the win bonus was half of your "show" money and the finish bonus was double the purse and the win.So a win is 150% of your "show" money and a finish is 300%...could work.... but thats a big drain on the UFC pocketbook and a good reason why I make a shitty businessman. guys will still fight for the finish either way in my honest opinion.

crazydave site profile image

1/26/12 1:22 AM by crazydave

UFC needs to have a FINISH bonus not a WIN bonus.

Pride Rules site profile image

1/25/12 11:50 PM by Pride Rules

dbl

Porkchop site profile image

1/25/12 11:23 PM by Porkchop

Damn, Junior needs to stop tweeting. He is gonna guarantee that he never gets another UFC appearance.

OnlyTheStrongSurvive site profile image

1/25/12 4:27 PM by OnlyTheStrongSurvive

<blockquote>HELWIG - Harris got matched with a monster that walked like a man who "tech hit" him with a choke held too long.<br /><br /><br /></blockquote><br />he was cut for the 3rd round. where he did not attempt to do anything at all

HELWIG site profile image

1/25/12 4:03 PM by HELWIG

OnlyTheStrongSurvive site profile image

1/25/12 11:08 AM by OnlyTheStrongSurvive

he was cut for the same reason Gerald Harris got cut. except he had the gall to complain about the decision after that fight as well

12SixElbow site profile image

1/25/12 11:01 AM by 12SixElbow

"I JUST GOT CUT FROM THE UFC!! WOW... APPARENTLY THEY DID NOT LIKE MY LAST FIGHT. THANKS @ufc FOR THE OPPORTUNITY. TO MY FANS, I'LL BE BACK! ...THX FOR THE SUPPORT! IM NOT IN CONTROL OF ALL THIS. MY MANAGER SAID IT WILL BE OK. WAS IN A GOOD WIN STREK BEFORE THE LAST FIGHT.SORRY GUYS" -Junior Assuncao "The Boss himself told me the fight was good, got a performance $, was in a good win STREAK before that last fight. I DONT UNDERSTAND! ..."If I knew I was getting cut I would got the easier fight" I told my Maneger. CAN SOMEONE HELP ME UNDERSTAND? gotta suck it Up and improve" -Junior Assuncao "Guys thanks for supporting! Please don't hate on the UFC. It's not @danawhite decision. He liked my last fight. It's politics behind scenes" -Junior Assuncao "The truth will show up soon or later! I don't know what goes on behind the scenes and no one can tell me ether. keep my mouth shut for now!!" -Junior Assuncao "Maybe it was personal, there wasn't any improper behavior. I'm not the one talking to the UFC so I'm helpless on this decision" -Junior Assuncao "messages coming all i can say is thanks guys! No leverage to argue with the UFC. Maybe my "manager" will say something @SuckerPunchEnt" -Junior Assuncao "Got people messaging saying there is something else behind the reason I got cut by the @ufc. Got no one fightng for me right now!!!" -Junior Assuncao

Porkchop site profile image

1/24/12 4:37 PM by Porkchop

I was there and it was fucking awesome. Nate was boo'd at the beginning and walked out of there a hero.