Ronda Rousey: GSP is bad for the sport

source: bestofmma.com

(3:45 mark)
I think it is about finishing your opponent. It's about entertainment.

It's not the Olympics. It's not about just coming home and bringing a medal, and just having hardware and getting the win.

It's about pulling more fans in, and being entertaining.

I think that fighters that just try to win by points and come away with a win are actually bad for the sport. If you never saw MMA before, and you walked in and you saw GSP and Koscheck, and all this jabbing out the whole time, it looks like a boring boxing match. And I don't think you gain any fans with a fight like that.

And so I really hope that Nick Diaz beats the crap out of him, because Nick Diaz is entertaining, and he's an entertaining character in general. He might not be popular but I mean I can't but watch every video he puts out youtube. I think it's funny as Hell. And every single one of his fights is a brawl. It's not like a pitter pat match where afterwards he goes "Were friends, were all friends" and then okay let's go home. I think that's boring.

GSP was good for the sport for a while. He brought in some big sponsors like Gatorade and UnderArmor. But I think he's done everything he can in a positive way and he needs to step aside and let Nick Diaz kick his ass.

UFC Women\'s Ronda Rousey UFC 168 Walkout Shirt

UFC Women's Ronda Rousey UFC 168 Walkout Shirt

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

MMA4Hugs site profile image

1/27/12 5:28 PM by MMA4Hugs

Thanks to you as well. It was a pleasure to have an intelligent interaction on the UG :)For what's it worth, I'm also against double-standards across the board and the kind of old-fashioned chivalry that is pretty much just sexism in disguise.

MMA4Hugs site profile image

1/27/12 5:28 PM by MMA4Hugs

UGCTT_Zaph site profile image

1/27/12 4:14 PM by UGCTT_Zaph

Fair enough.  Thanks.

UGCTT_Zaph site profile image

1/27/12 4:14 PM by UGCTT_Zaph

Fair enough.  Thanks.

MMA4Hugs site profile image

1/27/12 4:04 PM by MMA4Hugs

Sorry, white-knight comment wasn't really directed at you. Just trying to pre-empt any dumb comments.Like I said, it's not just the one insult. I agree that the two above are equivalent (and both fighter-bashing, IMO). What bugs me how it's standard procedure, if you dislike what a woman has said, to get nasty in a particular way. I'm not up to reading through this thread again to pull up quotes to back up my point, but I do think there's a difference between calling someone an "asshole" and calling someone a "skanky bitch". It's the same thing that pops up when someone is hating on a female politician. It's all "dirty slut" this and "she needs a good fucking" that. The palette of insults is different, and I call it misogynist.This thread isn't nearly as bad as it could have been. Kudos to the OG for that. I still find the hostility pathetic.Cheers

MMA4Hugs site profile image

1/27/12 4:04 PM by MMA4Hugs

gnomejeebus site profile image

1/27/12 2:40 PM by gnomejeebus

the most borring GSP fight is still 10000000 times more exciting than and womens MMA. Womens fights couldnt sell out an applebees.

gnomejeebus site profile image

1/27/12 2:40 PM by gnomejeebus

thats g site profile image

1/27/12 2:21 PM by thats g

this pretty girl is entitled to her opinion, np. simple question for any pro mma fighter, would you rather have a boring win or an entertaining loss, the awnser is obvious. cant wait until cyborg smashes her face. i hope gsp winks at her after he smashes diaz.

thats g site profile image