Jon Jones wanted a fight at Heavyweight in 2012, Dana & Lorenzo said no

source: The Underground

UFC Lightheavyweight Champion Jon Jones appeared on The MMA Hour earlier today. and said he wanted to move up to Heavyweight, but that the UFC nixed the idea at least for the time being.

1:38:30 mark Ariel Helwani: What did you think of your commentating Saturday night.

Jon Jones: I went home and watched it and I didn't feel too bad. (it was) something that the UFC threw at me and I gave it a whirl … I definitely want to try it again. It makes me better ... I was more nervous to do runway modeling.

AH: … you looked sexy :-)

JJ: Why thank you.

AH: They have you listed as a 6-1 favorite … does that surprise you?

JJ: It does surprise me. Rashad has a phenomenal record, and knows how to win … I can't let that alter my mindset. I have to train like I am the underdog and that's the biggest fight of my life.

AH: Were you impressed with what (Rashad) did Saturday night?

JJ: Not really. No. … I didn't really see much progression. He left the team. I think Mike Winklejohn and Greg Jackson were a really good fit for him, and he learned their style. …  I think (with) his new program, I haven't really seen much progression. I think his top control looked a l title tighter, his guard passes looked pretty decent … Phil looked like a sheep, he didn't show much out there … I feel as if (Rashad is) coming down the other side of the hill. Even his body looked softer.

AH: Will Greg (Jackson) be in your corner for (the Rashad Evans) fight?

JJ: I don't think Greg is going to be in my corner. I will respect that. Rashad and Greg had some genuine moments. I won't put him in that position.

AH: Have you started to think seriously Jon about the move up to heavyweight? Do you have a time table as to when you would like to do that?

JJ: Yes, definitely ... I taked to Dana and Lorenzo about taking fight for the fans at the end of 2012. I figured beating beating Henderson, and Rashad, there will be a period where I'm going to figure out who I fight next. And during that period, at the end of 2012, I requested a heavyweight, a top-10 heavyweight … just for the fans ... Dana and Lorenzo did not think that was going to best for me to do right now. They want me to continue in the Lightheavyweight division.

JJ: I'd love to have a respectful relationship with (Rashad), because actually, deep down, I kind of just liked hanging with the guy. He was cool. We had good times. We did a lot of cool stuff together and it sucked that competition came between our friendship. After this fight, I just hope that the respect can be restored. Friendship is not necessary, but the respect should be restored.

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

tags: UFC   Jon Jones (detail)  video

LayNprayNINJA site profile image

2/1/12 9:31 AM by LayNprayNINJA

EDIT: NVM u caught it already. Cheers.

Tomato Can site profile image

2/1/12 9:24 AM by Tomato Can

Brandon Vera was arguably better at HW. He was 4-2 as a UFC HW and has gone 4-3 (4-4 if you count the Thiago Silva fight) as a UFC LHW.

bknumber1 site profile image

2/1/12 5:39 AM by bknumber1

Gawd I am retarded.  Yes, complete fail sammie by me.  Vera COULD have been a superstar at 205 at the beginning of his career.  Instead he went heavy where he had early success then size was too much for him (IMO).  You know, for some reason I completely thought he started at 205.  I am hazing myself for dorking that up as we speak.  Thanks for calling me out and making me check my history T-Bag and LaynPrayNinja.  I would have bet someone money he was a LHW to start with before this! I still think guys like Hendo and Couture are the exception (which makes them special fighters), not the rule.

strontium90 site profile image

2/1/12 5:35 AM by strontium90

Think about this: Do you think for one minute that Jon Jones wants Rashad inheriting his belt? That's why Jones will resist moving up to HW like the devil until Rashad is out of the picture at 205 one way or another - either because Rashad has moved down to 185, or has undergone a Jens Pulver/Ken Shamrock-style metdown and is out of the UFC altogether (if you start betting against Rashad after the Jones fight and keep letting your resulting winnings ride, I don't doubt for a minute that you'll have a tidy sum in your account once this runs its course). All the more reason why Rashad should move down to 185 - and indeed, might be pressured by the powers that be to do so - after the inevitable happens in Atlanta.

AGC IV site profile image

2/1/12 5:22 AM by AGC IV

Yep no doubt

bknumber1 site profile image

2/1/12 2:10 AM by bknumber1

Hey, I think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread too. Point is success at 205 does not automatically equate to success at HW. It is not like going from 185 to 205. Can he do it? It is possible but we just do not know. For him to be successful making the leap it will take a lot of hard work. Just irks me when everyone automatically assumes he can roll out of bed tomorrow and be the HW champ if he felt like it. Thoughts and expectations like that take away from his accomplishment if he is a success jumping up.

knuckleballs site profile image

2/1/12 12:29 AM by knuckleballs

In two years Jon Jones will own the HW division...

Bad Monkey site profile image

1/31/12 11:41 PM by Bad Monkey

I can't wait to watch him explode Uberreem style.  Jones is going to swell up fast when he starts to let his body fill out.  Retards on here will go on and on about his "obvious steroid use."  Jones will be over 250lbs in the cage 18 months after his last LHW title defense.

Clyde Mcglide site profile image

1/31/12 11:35 PM by Clyde Mcglide

He should break Liddell's record first then move up.

Eyeamthe001 site profile image