Thompson now 63-0 after UFC win

by Chris Palmquist | source: The Underground

Stephen Thompson has a combat sports record that may be unparalled by any current UFC fighter on the roster. As an amateur kickboxer, Thompson was a perfect 37-0. Afterwards, he transitioned to professional kickboxing and maintained a perfect 20-0 record. He then made the move to mixed martial arts, starting 5-0 before getting the call to fight in the UFC.

'Wonderboy' Thompson made his UFC debut yesterday with much hype, and apparently deservedly so, delivering a stunning head kick knockout that earned him the Knockout of the Night and with it, a $65,000 bonus.

With his 6th overall MMA win, he has now competed in 63 straight bouts without a loss. It'll be interesting to see if Thompson can keep up the unblemished record as he moves up the UFC ladder.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Tatami Multi Flex NO GI Fight Shorts

Tatami Multi Flex NO GI Fight Shorts

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Rashad Evans Action Figure

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Rashad Evans Action Figure

French Fries Malone site profile image

2/6/12 10:18 PM by French Fries Malone

Can't wait to see him fight again!! This kid is awesome!

B3LI3VE site profile image

2/6/12 9:22 PM by B3LI3VE

I agreeExcept I've seen far cooler things in the UFC than that ariel flip.

fightharder site profile image

2/6/12 7:22 PM by fightharder

True,the might have ''fed'' him a relatively easy fight to begin with. Personally i do not really oppose leagues building certain fighters careers,up to a certain point.I think he will run into more serious competition (good grappler/wrestler) sooner rather then later.I do think we will do pretty good against most strikers though.It is pretty hard for pure strikers to deal with karate style...they really have to commit big time (can't just walk someone like him down).Anyways great debut,very interesting to see how is take-down defense is.A yes,that flip was probably the sickest i seen so far in the UFC .

deadlyonetwo3 site profile image

2/6/12 1:10 AM by deadlyonetwo3

His opponent, God bless him, wasn't very good. I have a suspicion that he won't hold up right now with tougher caliber opponents. His style is fun, dangerous and different but I saw some defensive holes that concern me.. Some guys aren't going to lay on the end of his kicks.. They're going to step in there and get after him which this opponent did not do. The record with the chuck Norris karate matches etc is certainly not a bad thing, but this is the big time. This was a great, highlight reel knockout and I enjoyed his style but I have a suspicion he's going to get in deep against the better fighters in the division. Forget just wrestlers, strikers too. I congratulate him on the great fight and knockout. Who wouldn't want to watch him fight again after that unique display!

Flexo site profile image

2/6/12 12:41 AM by Flexo

First thing that came to my mind was ninja flip lol.

CharlesLewis site profile image

2/6/12 12:37 AM by CharlesLewis

This is going to sound a-holish, but has he fought anyone of note?

jimmyok site profile image

2/6/12 12:30 AM by jimmyok

His stance & his kicks reminded me of fighters in the PKA, years ago. <br /><br />Looked like Bill Wallace (PKA middleweight champ) had a kid/grandkid who grew up & got into MMA.

Ponyboy site profile image

2/5/12 6:23 PM by Ponyboy

He could have some fun tumbling with the guys at ATT.

BUFFGEO site profile image

2/5/12 6:09 PM by BUFFGEO

I still cant believe that a 'foot slap' put a guy out like that!?

sk8actr site profile image

2/5/12 2:51 PM by sk8actr

Can't wait to watch him progress in the UFC, definitely KO of the night!