Brown on Thompson: Muay Thai beats karate 9 out of 10 times

source: mmaweeklyvideos

UFC welterweight Stephen Thompson earned a spectacular victory in his debut at UFC 143, knocking out late replacement Dan Stittgen via head kick, and earning an extra $65,000 for KO of the night.

That was his 64th straight victory in combat sports:
37-0 as an amateur kickboxer
20-0 as a pro kickboxer
6-0 in mixed martial arts

However, Matt Brown, who is scheduled to face Thompson at UFC 145 on April 21, is not impressed. In an interview with MMAWeekly, "The Immortal" explains:

"I don’t know what he’s about in MMA. It looked to me he was doing the same old karate, you know, and the karate’s the same thing, like who did he fight in karate? I don’t know. Name me one guy, name me one guy he fought."

"I could tell you the guys I trrain with (in stand up), I can name the guys they fought."

"I’m not too concerned with this guy’s kickboxing. I'd go 100-0 beating a bunch of idiots, but that’s not my style."

"It's the same old s--- to me. He's just a fight to me. Hes got a puzzling awkward style, kind of like a Machida ... he's dangerous for sure ... But I believe Muay Thai beats karate nine of ten times.

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Wasa-B site profile image

3/2/12 4:01 PM by Wasa-B

Just glad we have a fighter with a diff style to watch.

Drewout site profile image

3/2/12 9:36 AM by Drewout

Thompson will KO Brown!!!Go Thompson!

Newaza freak site profile image

2/24/12 6:56 PM by Newaza freak

I don't have to pick a side because it's not just as easy as Black or White when it comes to identifying certain types of karate styles.So, just blantanly saying they are allowed to do this or not do that and still be considered karate depends on the karate style in question. Not all karate styles are the same and not all are created equal and not all karate styles can simply represent the traditonal aspect of the art that categorizes it as being traditional.Machida happens to represent the traditional aspect of karate known as shotokan.The karate that Machida practiced as a kid is not the same one that Sean Thompson(karate kid) practiced as a kid. The practicioners or karate etnhusiast that grew up doing the karate Machida does (shotokan), does not even consider the ecletic /hybrid style of karate that Thomspon does as it even being karate at all. Not that it's not effective please don't misconstrue my words but that it's simply just not karate as defined by the masters that created the art in the first place. Do I agree with this? hell no I think karate is meant to evolve just as jiuitsu is meant to evolve or anyother art for that matter but when talking about traditional karate as per the one machida represents,then yes the defined criteria would be different from a more eclectic or hybrid style of karate.Therefore.......no ....it's not easy to say everything is just easily just karate because it would depend on what specific karate group you are talking too or about. One would be hard pressed to find any pictures of any karate practicioners using focus mitts and Thai pads before certain individuals from the kyokushin style maybe started incorporating it into their routines............Most if not all the other japanese groups of karate never would even allow such piesces of equipment in their own dojo. I would like to emphasise that the okinawans did have hojo undo (supplementary training & equiptment) but it's not exactly the same as Thai boxing equipment. The simple notion of lateral movement which everyone praises today in Machida for being so elusive with, is really a rather new idea within traditional karate world.None of the creators of karate both in okinawa and japan advocated it or even practice it or even condoned it in some instances . Ofcourse, this conversation does not seem reasonbable to anyone one that came up competiing in open tournaments or learned a particular off shoot style of karate that already altered,allowed or even encouraged these sort of changes to exist in the first place. The ones that trained in a so-called ultra traditional styles of karate,you know what I am talking about.

Wasa-B site profile image

2/24/12 5:48 PM by Wasa-B

I see what NF means about karate and karate offshoots and traditional vs modern karate and how a guy like GSP when having a MT and boxing trainer should not be considered just a karate striker.Having said that, i also agree that using mits or bags does not make that not karate. Also competition in karate does not make it not karate either but I do understand what he is talking about when certain wings in karate will frown upon this or that, its the Japanese conservative way. But tournaments and competition have been a part of karate forever so I dont see the irony below at all. "The irony here is that even the effective karate techniques that Machida does utilize in a cage are a more a direct influence from his tournament karate experience, as opposed to the actual traditional art he represents." It may be true though that MT or boxing has LESS adaptations that need to be made for MMA than any style of karate just like BJJ has less adaption than judo in general. But there is a huge adaption that wrestling has to make for subgrappling for MMA as well and they are certainly having no problems with it. We do not say all the wrestlers that have success in MMA are not wrestlers even when they must take on the completely new concepts of striking and submissions.

Palmala Handerson site profile image

2/24/12 3:56 PM by Palmala Handerson

Newaza freak - No offense but you're one of those guys that as soon as they see a Karate fighter use focus mits or hit a heavy bag, you think they're stealing from MT or Boxing. It's bullshit. Karate guys are allowed to use those tools as well and have for EONS.MT doesn't have copyrights on kicks and punches. You insult the style then go on to say how great it is. Pick a side.

Wasa-B site profile image

2/24/12 1:37 PM by Wasa-B

Yeah, man, i general (im at work right now so cant read everything in detail ;p) i agree. The difference in traditional mindset (purist) and progressive (evolution) is a big one esp in a Japanese thing like karate. Of course, we can argue Machida is a karate based MMAer and thus trains as an MMAer like any other fighter coming out of a single root style does. This arguement is endless but I respect your opinions on this. Where im coming from is just from the fact that:A) people (like myself) were not aware that "kickboxing" did in fact also from karate and not just MT and boxingB) Machida was not the first karate guy to suceed in MMA and that there have been many karate guys at the top levels of kickboxing for ages.....yes, we can argue about how "karate" they are when they make the leap to prize fightingI'll come back to ask you some more questions, your a great source for striking knowledge and i appreciate it. We need more of this shit!Btw, what do you think of Stephen Thompson?How about Cung?

Newaza freak site profile image

2/24/12 1:17 PM by Newaza freak

Wasa-B,My intentions are definitely not to discredit karate at all or to not give it it's just due. Unfortuantely,I just like to draw the line as to what technques actualy come from karate and which ones are maybe learned under a karate umbrella that has borrowed techniques or methods of training from other arts inorder to make it more susscesful..I believe that all arts must evolve and I believe that this also must exist in karate. As a matter of fact, it was one of my main pet peeves back in the day when I use to train karate myself.However,back in the day there was not any tolerance given or allowed for any type of change or acceptance for anything remotely ressembling being allowed to be influence from another art into karate. Remember, the young generation today that see's how effective karate is,does not really understand what karate had to go thru inorder to make it effective today. Most that jump on the karate bandwagon to claim of it's effectiveness do not really understand the type of crosstraing and adaptation that needed to be made inorder to make it susscesful. People have to sometimes understand that some of those same individuals who praise and worship karate thru Machida(for example) ,were never willing to change,adapt or improvise anything even remotely similar to what Machida does inorder to make it happen. As a matter of fact, they where always downright dead set against any type of change and even proclaimed on numerous occassions that any type of alterations to karate could not ever be accepted,if one wants to remain loyal to karate.That my friend is the way it's been for years and especialy within the traditional karate community sect which Machida claims to represent today in karate thru traditional shotokan.I would even go out on a limb and claim that you would not be able to visit any traditonal shotokan school around the world today that trains the way Machida does. Machida spars in the ring with boxing glovesMachida works muaythai combinations with Thai padsMachida implements bjj,judo and wrestling into his workoutsMachida does alot of things that guide and help his karate techniques inorder to prevail and work in the ring. The things that he does that allows him to be sussceful have always been frowned upon by most of the factions and practicioners of the traditional karate world both in japan and Okinawa.The irony here is that even the effective karate techniques that Machida does utilize in a cage are a more a direct influence from his tournament karate experience, as opposed to the actual traditional art he represents. Most traditionalist in karate oppose to even tournament karate as having any real merrit at all. As a matter of fact,most just like to call it childs play and relate it as not real fighting all. Machida has actualy taken some of his effective traditional karate tournament techniques and made them much more effective by using other training methods(boxing,kickboxing,muaythai)& modalities inorder to make it work in the cage.I don't have anything bad to say against karate. As a matter of fact,I am overjoyed to see the effectiveness of some of Machidas karate techniques come to forefront inorder to demonstrate just how effective they can be.I myself practice all of those techniques for many years and realized myslef just howe great they could be. However,I don't easily forget what it took to make it all happen and how many of those same people that frowned upon any sort of evolution by even implementing other training methods are the same people today telling you how great karate is.hypocritcial if you ask me but I believe someone would have had to live it or experienced the way it was back in the day,inorder to understand where I am comming from.Ofcourse today it does not matter,karate is everything and anything and dont' let anyone tell you any different.....karate is awesome!

Wasa-B site profile image

2/23/12 11:22 PM by Wasa-B

I disagree that its kyokushin is always mentioned when it comes to GSP's striking. IMO its more his training with Roach and Nurse and Zahabi (who is also a striking coach) that is mentioned and rightly so.But i dont think its wrong to mention his Kyokushin roots as well just as much as you cant take it out of him either. I think we're coming from diff ends here. You think karate gets too much credit when i think it doesnt get enough.

Newaza freak site profile image

2/23/12 4:28 PM by Newaza freak

Wasa B,I believe that when Demian Maia (for example) works on his boxing skills,improves on it and actualy demonstrates it In his actual fights,the credit should defnitiely go to that specific area that has been acknowledged as Boxing or Muaythai.Credit should be given to where it came from and to how or why he improved in that dept. The credit should not be just given to bjj/Jiujitsu,simply because he is originally a jiujitsu guy. However,if we are talking about a specific submission,then by all means let's give credit where credit is due. We cannot simply say he's a bjj guy and give the credit to bjj for his improvement in the boxing dept. Yes,his base art is jiujitsu and he still might utilize some of it from time to time but he is using other aspects that have nothing to do with bjj at all. I guess this is the part where one needs to know history to understand what comes from where and what exact arts belong to what.Bjj does not have it all, just like karate does not have it all. Helio Gracie would never acknowledge that the mixing of Boxing and Muaythai along with jiujitsu is part of jiujitsu,just as Helio would never call it jiujitsu either. Karate is no different really under most other circumstances. The problem with karate is that it is not defined with any exact criteria for everyone that says they represent karate. Many people and epecially different karate groups have added,changed and adapted many crucial elements from other arts and incorporated them into karate blurrying the lines for practicioners that don't know the history. yet,with all the change alot of practioners still want to classify it as karate. Most Traditional karate masters (too many to mention really) in both Okinawa or Japan would never consider the type of training or preparation that most ring fighters do, (In order to get ready to compete), as being part of any karate that they practice. Regardless of the fact that someone might throw and occasional front kick here or there In a combat sport (which does in fact demonstrate a karate technique) does not mean that this person should be acknowledged as representing that art,just because he practcie it as a kid. What happens is that alot of people are emotionally attached to their original art and this includes previous Masters who have borrowed and taken other skillsets from other arts only to still claim them as part of their system. Maybe all of these adaptations and cross-pollination arts should have the word "HYBRID" attached In front of them inorder to not confuse them with the original art in question.The truth is that GSP trains boxing with freddie roach and has even been training Muaythai for many years with a well known Muaythai instructor,yet when his striking skills are mentioned it's always his kyokushin roots from his earlier days.Give credit where credit is due,that's all.

Wasa-B site profile image

2/23/12 4:26 PM by Wasa-B

ttt

MMA apparel and training equipment
MMA clothing and gear