Fighter sinks rare Omoplata in Ukraine

source: themmaclinic

Pavel Kusch's  vs. Alexander Starikov, Cage Warriors 46, Kiev, Ukraine, Thursday night.

Hometown fighter Pavel Kusch quickly sunk the widely taught but rarely landed Omoplata on Russian middleweight Alexander Starikov. Kusch has won by submissions in all 12 of his victories, and is 6-1 in his past seven fights. (:20 mark)

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Super Body Care Shower Gel 8oz

Super Body Care Shower Gel 8oz

Submission BJJ Belt

Submission BJJ Belt

AokiPants site profile image

2/28/12 4:58 AM by AokiPants

This. Easily could have rolled out, the leg in front of the head doesn't stop anything, I've tried it and had people try it on me plenty of times. More likely that he was confused because the guy applied the shoulder lock using his arms. Usually when guys sit up to apply pressure with their legs that's when the roll comes, but he never really sat up, he just used his arms to torque the shoulder.

rigpig site profile image

2/25/12 12:47 AM by rigpig

this just read some of last posts again great sub

rigpig site profile image

2/25/12 12:45 AM by rigpig

not trying to be a negitive nancy , but that wasnt an Omoplata. It was a sweet sub though

notsometourist site profile image

2/25/12 12:18 AM by notsometourist

Also if he rolled out he's pretty much guaranteed to be in an armbar.

notsometourist site profile image

2/25/12 12:14 AM by notsometourist

That's more of a modified hammer lock. There wasn't really any omoplata technique. Seems to me that Kusch threw up for a triangle or armbar and Starikov defended well but left his other arm in there and Kusch just used what was available.

Anarkis site profile image

2/24/12 10:38 PM by Anarkis

I was thinking that but was trying to be polite.

BrCutter site profile image

2/24/12 10:24 PM by BrCutter

Sorry, you were typing when I was typing and I missed this.  I agree with you that it was more of a kimura that stopped the fight and not a traditional omoplata.

BrCutter site profile image

2/24/12 10:22 PM by BrCutter

BTW, remarks that is was sloppy are off base.  This is an mma fight not a bjj match.  Bottom guy had his arm locked up deep and tight like a kimura against his body (as opposed to an omoplata that you can sit up to that is at the hinge of the guy's elbow).  Top guy probably though he wasn't in that much trouble (maybe an experience thing).  By that time, bottom dude's foot is under top guy's head, which I would gander would prevent him from rolling.   Who knows, maybe since it was so deep, top guy thought he would roll into an armbar conversion, so he took his chances to try to square up and not roll.

Stu P Dasso site profile image

2/24/12 10:22 PM by Stu P Dasso

Nope lol

sunderground site profile image

2/24/12 10:15 PM by sunderground

No. That doesnt work. Just tried it tonight. Sorry but that doesnt stop the roll out escape. But I watched it again and I think its more of a kimura that stopped the fight.