Jon Jones: Being called cocky is the biggest blow I can get

by Jesse Hyde | source: mensjournal.com

The March 2012 issue of Men’s Journal contains an extensive profile of UFC Lightheavyweight champion Jon Jones. While the piece has the feel of the puzzled coverage MMA received in the mid 90s, it never the less managed to convey some of what makes Jones unique.

"When I was, like, 20 years old, I had this voice-mail message that said, ‘Hi, this is Jon Bones Jones, the light heavyweight champ.’ I was speaking it into existence and carrying myself like I was the champion way before I was even in the UFC. It’s crazy that it all played out.”

“I want to change our sport with something positive, to brighten up people’s lives and get them to look more on the positive side about every little thing.”

This is precisely the sort of comment that polarizes UFC fans, many of whom don’t like self-righteous knockout artists. On message boards, fans call him an “arrogant b----” and accuse him of faking the humility.

The truth is that Jones is racked with self-doubt. He begins every morning reading motivational quotes to get himself going, and he is haunted by the fear of getting knocked out while millions of people are watching.

“Sometimes I look back, and I want to be rude to people who didn’t believe in me. But that’s not what I do,” he says. “I try to treat everybody with love. But when I go home now, to the people who treated me like a loser, I’m, like, the hero of our whole town.”

“My road wasn’t easy, by any means. That’s why when people call me cocky, it’s, like, the biggest blow I can get. It’s like, ‘It’s not me! I’m sorry I’m coming across that way.’ I don’t think I’m better than ­anyone.”

“I heard this story once of this football player who, whenever he scored, just handed the ball to the ref. And I thought that was really cool, like, ‘This is what I do. I score touchdowns.’ I wasn’t trying to be cocky or anything, but that’s what I was thinking: ‘This is what I do. I defend my title.’ ”

I ask if it bothers him that the fans don’t seem to appreciate his greatness — that even though he’s beat a string of legends, they still boo and jeer him when he weighs in before a match and walks into the ring.

“I don’t hear them, to tell you the truth,” Jones says. “I can’t please everyone. Some people are going to love you, and some are going to hate you, no matter what you do.”

Read entire article...

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

UFC Ready for Battle Shirt

UFC Ready for Battle Shirt

tags: UFC   Jon Jones (detail)

UGCTT_buchu8oolong site profile image

3/13/12 8:33 PM by UGCTT_buchu8oolong

I have zero problem with the ending of the Machida fight as far as JBJ goes, though Greg Jackson came off a little politician like. But I think everyone knows why Bisping/Hendo was a little different in build up and from what I have seen from the the remainders of the UKTT, I am sure the crow wasn't just reserved for Bisping. Also, it was a lot more spectacular a finish and that's going to get play regardless of how people view the fighter. Very few people I have seen hate on Vitor, and even less on Bendo, but those kicks that landed on each got plastered everywhere. In Bisping's case there isn't any conflicted feeling for a lot of people though.

Elias Cepeda site profile image

3/13/12 7:33 PM by Elias Cepeda

Come on, not the same situation at all. Jones is black...

Soul Gravy site profile image

3/13/12 7:20 PM by Soul Gravy

I would have thought Kirstie Alley was the biggest blow he'd gotten.

reyrey site profile image

3/13/12 7:08 PM by reyrey

It's funny to me that Hashad Evans has been called cocky and hated on since TUF2 (for dancing and showboating in the cage), but since Jones has become champ Evans is now the upstanding good guy and Jones is the cocky a-hole.

303 site profile image

3/11/12 12:44 AM by 303

It was on the ref or Machida to stop the fight. Can't fault Bones there.

rootsa site profile image

3/11/12 12:42 AM by rootsa

posted twice, my bad

rootsa site profile image

3/11/12 12:38 AM by rootsa

doomrider7 - "The sad part about this is that it was a joke during an interview and people have posted pictures of their signed belts yet this crap STILL gets posted like it's fact"Maybe you could explain where the joke is then "Josh Zerkle asked Jon what the one thing he would change about the sport is and he gave one of the most obnoxious and self-important answers possibleJONES: It's a silly one. I would get rid of the replica beltsJosh Zerkle: Like the ones they sell at the events?JONES: Yeah. I hate it when people come up to me with a belt that looks exactly like mine and they ask me to sign it. I worked three times a day for three years to get this [light heavyweight championship] belt, and now this guy asking me for an autograph has one just like it. Are you serious? I mean it's not as heavy, but it looks just the same.Josh Zerkle: I like that. I don't think it's silly at allJONES: I never sign those belts"OF course the UFC talked to Jones since this interview & Jones has stated he would sign them now.

murr25 site profile image

3/11/12 12:18 AM by murr25

this is a violence filled sport and this thunder cunt is complaining about jon dropping his opponent? Totally cool that he kicked him in the face but omg that s.o.b stood up with him on top of him...what a nozzle

slamming site profile image

3/11/12 12:10 AM by slamming

I think i like Jones even more now knowing how much the idiots on here get their panties in a bunch every time his name is mentioned.

MMA apparel and training equipment
MMA clothing and gear