Miesha: I would love a rematch

by Shaun Al-Shatti | source: mmafighting.com

Everyone in the sport anticipated it could happen. After weeks of trash talk, challenger Ronda Rousey sunk an armbar on champion Miesha Tate. Tate refused to tap until the elbow gave way.

Would Tate have tapped earlier to any other opponent?

"It's possible," Tate admitted on Monday's episode of The MMA Hour.

"Obviously I knew going into that. It didn't catch me by surprise. A lot of people like Bryan say, ‘you're crazy. How did you not tap to that?' I think because I was prepared for that mentally. Not that I was ever planning on being there, but I knew that if I got into that position, it was a realistic possibility, and so I was prepared.

"I felt my arm go in, and I was like, ‘you know, I don't want to tap. And I didn't. So I felt my hand touch the back of her thigh and I knew everything was really bad. I just didn't know at that point. I didn't feel there was a way out of it. I had idea how much longer there was on the clock and it just felt like things were getting worse and worse. And I was like, ‘I just don't know how much of this my arm can take.' I think that's when common sense started to settle in, rather than pure stubbornness."

"I, personally, would love the opportunity to have a rematch. I think at a high level, it takes one mistake. Anyone can make a mistake at any moment and someone's able to capitalize on that.

"I don't feel that Ronda proved anything other than what she's already (proved) -- that she has one thing that she's great at. Really phenomenal at. But everything else, I could beat her. Give me another shot. I think it was competitive. I think for the most part I was probably winning. And I think at a competitive high level, one day one person could beat the one person, and the other day the other person would beat the other person."

"I wanted to go out there and I wanted to make a very bold statement. I'm not just a cute girl. I'm not here to be cute for the camera. I wanted to show that women's MMA is legit. We come out there and we fight very, very hard.

"We can definitely carry the main event. We can definitely draw the numbers. We can definitely entertain, and we're also really skilled. And I think that, in the big picture, we accomplished that."

Strikeforce/2012/3/12/2865825/miesha-tate-recounts-ronda-rousey-finish-rematch-strikeforce-mma">Read entire article...

Jaco Women\'s Patriot Crew Shirt

Jaco Women's Patriot Crew Shirt

TapouT Women\'s Everyday I Fight Shirt (Breast Cancer Awareness)

TapouT Women's Everyday I Fight Shirt (Breast Cancer Awareness)

tags: Strikeforce   Ronda Rousey (detail)  Miesha

Remmz site profile image

3/13/12 10:20 PM by Remmz

http://s18.postimage.org/hgse5jw09/tate.jpgblue anyone?

Thingading site profile image

3/13/12 10:08 PM by Thingading

I'm pretty sure Rampage had Jones right where he wanted him. Rematch.

Zionist Zodiac Zephyr site profile image

3/13/12 5:48 PM by Zionist Zodiac Zephyr

Tate can get a rematch after Cyborg sends Judo Jane back to the jungle floor.

Elite Alkemist site profile image

3/13/12 5:40 PM by Elite Alkemist

Yes thats the word. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that lol

JIUJITSUFOREVER site profile image

3/13/12 3:37 PM by JIUJITSUFOREVER

She must of loved the pain of her arm being bent in ways it shouldn't! What's the word for that, masochist?

MTH site profile image

3/13/12 1:43 PM by MTH

^^This. I'm absolutely down for a rematch--and so are all of you, even if you don't know it--but there needs to be (1) some rebuilding for Tate, (2) more dominance from Rousey, and (3) some more fights between other competitors with Rousey/Tate sitting ringside and commenting in the media.The major problem facing WMMA today is that lack of credible figthers. It's tough to stock even a single weight class with well-rounded girls. Tate and Rousey fit the bill as does Kaufman and so on . . . but there aren't many others.Tate and Rousey (largely through Rousey's mouth) became a fight folks were INTERESTED IN. People are still talking about it. Let the two of them use their portions of the limelight to get some recognition for other fighters--at this point, a match involving either of them would get significant media attention, especially if the girl on the other side is up for some fight-hyping.In two or three years, I'd like to see Tate having strung together a win streak establishing she's the number one contender, Rousey having defended her title a few times, and some other competitors (some that Tate/Rousey beat in the interim) that people are actually starting to recognize fighting for a place in line behind Tate.Heck, at that point there may even be enough footage on Rousey to really start thinking about how to actually beat her, and Tate may have raised her game enough on account of this most recent wake up call to actually pose a threat. The result could be another big fight for WMMA and a division full of fighters to handle the fallout, rather than a repeat of what we just saw.

Russ site profile image

3/13/12 1:19 PM by Russ

Kaufman is a smarter fighter i think she will do way better against Rousey than some think.i'm not saying she will win but if it goes past the first round i lean more to Sarah taking the fightas for a rematch with tate i say let her heal give her Davis then if she wins why not

kostello site profile image

3/13/12 12:54 PM by kostello

I'm not interested in a rematch.I'm not interested in ANY rematches.When did all of these rematches come about... are there not enough fighters?If you lose, go to the back of the line. Bellator has it right.

Zamiel site profile image

3/13/12 12:41 PM by Zamiel

I don't see why everyone's in such a tizzy about the whole rematch thing. Of course she wants one, if she doesn't, she should just ask Scott Coker for her pink slip (respect to Chael). Also, Miesha is one of the top girls, by the time she heals, returns, and picks up a win (definitely needs one or two in the absence of a successful title defense), it'll probably be the best match out there...so, hate the game or something.

easyrhino site profile image

3/13/12 12:20 PM by easyrhino

no need for a rematch imo.the problem rousey now faces is that with cyborg out for a year and carano doing movies, theres nobody really left for her to fight that is of any interest.ill bet they try to hype up a rematch just to fill seats.i highly doubt the outcome of a rematch is much different than the first.

MMA clothing and gear