Parisyan opens up on career struggles

by Ben Fowlkes | source: mmafighting.com

If he was 35 and at the end of his rope, maybe. But not at 29. Not now, Parisyan said.

"I still have much more to prove, much more to give. It’s like, I got to the top. I was the number one contender. I did a lot of stuff in the sport, but nothing where I could say, yeah, I could retire today. ... One my reasons -- and you’re going to say this is a stupid reason, Karo, but to me it’s a big reason -- but one of the reasons I want to come back is to shut people up. To shut a lot of fricking people up."

And the pain meds? He’s not on those anymore, not that he ever thought he had a genuine problem with them. What he had was searing pain in the back of his thigh, where a chunk of muscle is missing, he said. What he had was the constant sensation of being stabbed in the leg. He didn’t have a problem with pain pills.

"For the record, I was never addicted to pain meds. I abused pain medications without knowing. When it hurt me, it was too late already. I had done too much damage to myself, mentally and physically."

Before the fight with Dong Hyun Kim, he popped a few the morning of the fight, he said. And before his fight with Thiago Alves, he pushed through the crippling panic and anxiety that would later force him to pull out of his UFC 106 fight with Dustin Hazelett.

"Anxiety will be there. Anxiety you can control. The physical panic attack is the one that hits and brings you to your knees. And whoever’s had a panic attack, I want them to, for a second, realize that when they were having a panic attack, the worst one, when they thought they were going to die, I had to walk out in front of 20,000 people and fight. When my friends were pushing me, [saying] ‘Get out there, Karo. Thiago Alves is waiting in the cage. You’ve got to go fight.’ I did that."

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Rashad Evans Action Figure

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Rashad Evans Action Figure

Submission BJJ Belt

Submission BJJ Belt

tags: Karo Parisyan (detail)

Posty Magee site profile image

3/27/12 1:32 AM by Posty Magee

ttt

Dougie site profile image

3/27/12 1:27 AM by Dougie

There are many ways to deal with dependence and addiction.12 step programs have the best success rate because so many people use them but there are other options.I would disagree that only 50% of people relapse when it comes to addiction. The number is far greater.As well, very few people do it on their own.Karo sounds like he has a concurrent or dual disorder of mental health issues as well as substance problems.I wish him the best of luck in finding his way to a healthy life.

erikmfx site profile image

3/27/12 1:17 AM by erikmfx

I've been a Karo fan for years.  I wish he would have fought BJ Penn back in the day.  Hey Karo if you're reading this, remember... (romo concept shamelessly stolen from Doctor Obviously)

Soup Nazi site profile image

3/27/12 1:16 AM by Soup Nazi

WAR KARO

Blubber Guard site profile image

3/27/12 12:37 AM by Blubber Guard

His interview with Ariel Helwani was great.

NicolasExitBJJ site profile image

3/26/12 10:51 AM by NicolasExitBJJ

definitely sounds like a drug addict in denial. not saying he is because obviously I don't know him but he sure as hell sounds like it. anyone who disagrees has probably never dealt with addicts.

shootfightermike site profile image

3/26/12 5:12 AM by shootfightermike

panic attacks are real bro

Jaybrone site profile image

3/26/12 4:44 AM by Jaybrone

I wish the man nothing but the best. I really do hope he can conquer his demons. There is no single way to beat addiction and different methods work for different people. But every addict who is now sober and are able stay that way has accepted that they did at one time have a problem.

A.Muradyan site profile image

3/26/12 3:10 AM by A.Muradyan

When u go from go from 0 to making $500k a year in very short time and everybody including celebs want to be around because ur face is on billboards its hard to consider urself lightly. Karo, imo is doing much better now that he is back with his old team; and soon u all will see not the "old Karo" but a "better Karo"

roperninja site profile image

3/26/12 1:58 AM by roperninja

Lol

MMA apparel and training equipment
MMA clothing and gear