Tito: 'If you need TRT, you need to stop fighting'

source: fightersonlymag.com

Fighters Only: As you mentioned Overeem, let’s touch on the scandal that is presently threatening to engulf him. He failed a urine test administered in March and now the theory is that he will be claiming he was undergoing Testosterone Replacement Therapy, explaining his elevated levels. What do you think of all these fighters that are suddenly claiming to be testosterone-deficient?

Tito Ortiz: You know I don’t know much about it at all. I have been fighting for 15 years and there have been trainers that tried to push that on me and I’ve said that if I have to do that kind of stuff, I am done with the sport, I wont compete any more because I want to be a natural athlete.

And I have - for fifteen years I’ve competed and taken my drug tests, random drug tests, and passed everything because I am a true athletle. A lot of these guys are taking these supplements to make themselves more impressive or whatever, to become the fighters they want to be.

That’s their choice - my recommendation is don’t do it. If its against the law or against the sport, don’t do it and if you do have to do it, don’t fight anymore. That’s just my take on it… I will leave it there, I wont go into it any further.

UFC-dominance ">Read entire interview...

Punishment Athletics Hexed Shirt

Punishment Athletics Hexed Shirt

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

tags: UFC   Tito Ortiz (detail)

46and2 site profile image

4/12/12 9:06 PM by 46and2

LMAO @ any idiot who believes Tito has been clean his entire career. YEAH, OK Tito. Big Tito fan here, but I'd bet my left nut that he is one of those who wrote the book on off-season cycling in MMA. And that doesn't take away from him as a fighter IMO. Roids don't give you talent or work ethic.

Jons Forsberg site profile image

4/12/12 6:43 AM by Jons Forsberg

you two have no clue on what you're talking about.

Vincanni site profile image

4/12/12 6:16 AM by Vincanni

I know I'm in the minority, but I have nothing against 40 year olds using HRT to have test levels equal to that of a 25 year old. Let skill dictate who wins a fight not biology.Granted I support HRT giving people no more than a 4:1 edge at best, this 14:1 shit Overeem practiced is fucking retarded.

Death Beast site profile image

4/12/12 5:55 AM by Death Beast

I'd like to see the commissions or UFC say something like-"Ok, you can't reach regular levels without TRT right? Regular levels are 1:1, so you don't get that leeway of 6:1. Yours is completely controlled and there should not be any issue going over 1:1 since you naturally can't even get to that. You just need to limit what you take so you don't go over that either"Maybe let them get a 2:1 max, but I don't see any reason to give them the same leeway you'd give to someone who might just be producing too much naturally. If someone really needs it then they'd accept those conditions. If not then they'd probably choose another way to boost test that allowed them to keep coming in at 6x the normal levels.

Farewell Brock site profile image

4/12/12 5:45 AM by Farewell Brock

I agree with this to a point. Fighters should not be able to test higher than the normal for at least 6 months prior to a fight.

Silverball site profile image

4/12/12 2:44 AM by Silverball

Tito on the TRT would be awesome. Rampage is even doing it now.

FingerorMoon site profile image

4/12/12 2:25 AM by FingerorMoon

Tito seems tired and grumpy ...some TRT will fix that!

adamscheulen site profile image

4/11/12 10:19 PM by adamscheulen

Ttt

TexasBadAss site profile image

4/11/12 10:02 PM by TexasBadAss

Everybody overlooks the fact that he could easily get the exception and fight with it now. I'm not a Tito fan by any stretch but what he's saying is dead on. And look at his head size as a kid. Not sure how he stood up.

swany site profile image

4/11/12 10:01 PM by swany

Say what u want about Tito but the dude is a true athlete , having been a key contributed to this sport and come from as high as he was to the lows he has reached through injuries and ange and never having turned. To peds u have to give him all the credit in the world

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!