Frank Mir: 'I still pose a very large threat to dos Santos'

by Shaun Al-Shatti | source: mmafighting.com

"I still pose a very large threat to dos Santos," Mir vowed.

"I still think it'll be an interesting cat-and-mouse game between me and Junior, because what I want to be able to impose on him, he's going to try to avoid, and vice versa."

"I'm sure he fights for his own reasons," Mir explained. "I mean, if he says that to sell pay-per-views, I'm sure it might be thrown out. But as far as deep down inside, when he's in the locker room getting ready to walk out to face me, when you're a fierce competitor like that, you don't really do it for outside sources.

"If you do it for any other reason other than what's inside you, the internal drive that you have to want to conquer this, it'll fall apart."

Ultimately, there's nothing wrong with pouring a little gasoline on the fire in the fight game, and no one knows that better than the former champ. So it was only natural for Mir to finish his thoughts by tossing a special caveat dos Santos' way.

"I do think though, it has to be a little nerve-racking that the guy that you roll with as a coach, got submitted by the guy you're about to face," Mir slyly chuckled. "That has to be a little bit in the back (of your mind.)"

Shock Doctor Mouthguard Case

Shock Doctor Mouthguard Case

Jaco Resurgence Fight Shorts

Jaco Resurgence Fight Shorts

behzad site profile image

4/25/12 8:07 AM by behzad

JDS / Mir80 / 20Everyone that steps in the cage has a chance.Mir just doesn't have a big one.

Blue Flame Special site profile image

4/25/12 7:55 AM by Blue Flame Special

I don't think he's necessarily got a terrible chin, but his ability to handle being punched is sometimes questionable if that makes any sense. We've not seen anyone really take him out with a one hitter quitter type shot and I don't ever remember seeing Mir waking up looking at the lights. It really comes down to how he handles big punches that keep coming. In several of his losses, he's gone down (or tried to grab hold) under pressure/punches and just covered up not able to effectively deal with it/defend adequately. In addition to Carwin, Brandon Vera and Pe De Pano both beat him this way although granted, his losses to the latter two weren't too far removed from his accident iirc. It's almost like Lesnar in a sense. His chin wasn't bad in the sense that he'd get ktfo, he just didn't deal well with being punched in the face. That's not to say Mir is scared of being hit, just that he has proved beatable in this way more than once. All his losses have come via tko like this.

Enae Volare Mezzo site profile image

4/24/12 11:30 PM by Enae Volare Mezzo

Very doubtful. Gonna be a nightmare for Frank.

MezcalMan site profile image

4/24/12 10:28 PM by MezcalMan

Id like to have JDS round out a 4 fight parlay... Mir has little to no chance in this fight, its gonna end quicker than the Cain fight... watch

MezcalMan site profile image

4/24/12 10:28 PM by MezcalMan

RandyDarsh site profile image

4/24/12 9:02 PM by RandyDarsh

... I think the point is that Shane and Brock may have ruined his chin.Him eating their hardest punches proves absooutly nothing but the fact that he was shit kicked fairly easily.

Juggernautt site profile image

4/24/12 9:00 PM by Juggernautt

When did mir start having a weak chin?He took multiple bungalows from carwin and lesnar before going out. Two serious heavy hittersBecause nog rocked him? Tellin me a 240 pound man doesn't hit hard?And nog rocked him, yet he had enough wits to take an arm home. so much mir hate, its unbelievable

Gnarls Gnarlington site profile image

4/24/12 7:37 PM by Gnarls Gnarlington

Mir might take home an arm.

TwoCanVanneDamne site profile image

4/24/12 2:15 PM by TwoCanVanneDamne

This

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!