Dan Henderson: I've got the impression Jon Jones isn't 'genuine'

by Luke Thomas | source: mmafighting.com

"I'm sure you can answer that question, too. Why do you suppose that is?", the former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion rhetorically asked Ariel Helwani today on The MMA Hour.

When pressed further for his take, Henderson offered a theory. "I think it all has to do with being genuine and the fans sense that: when you are and when you're not. I'm pretty much who I am all the time and I don't know if they get that impression from him."

That may be what the fans are thinking, but what about Henderson himself? Does he get the impression Jones is genuine in his personal interactions with others? "Not really," Henderson confessed. "I think he was a little bit better after his fight with Rashad than he had been in the past, but I haven't got that impression from him, no."

Henderson isn't suggesting Jones is entirely putting on a public act. The top light heavyweight contender isn't exactly accusing Jones of being an actor. But if Henderson detects anything, it's that the polarizing effect the light heavyweight champion has on fans is as consequence of Jones having something manufactured about what he shows the public. "His whole attitude sometimes. It's not completely not genuine," Henderson clarified. "But I think that's what the fans are turned off by."

"I don't know him personally, so I can't really say if it's genuine or not. It's just the impression that I think fans get."

Clinch Gear Pro Series Fire Shorts

Clinch Gear Pro Series Fire Shorts

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

HunterB site profile image

4/25/12 9:42 PM by HunterB

I hope this fight gets a little bit of trash talk going... it always seems as if Hendo brings it just a little bit more when there is some bad blood.

Headkick420 site profile image

4/25/12 8:46 PM by Headkick420

plus fucking one

UnderTheClock site profile image

4/25/12 7:50 PM by UnderTheClock

"henderson is 1/16 native american. i am 1/32 native american. we are both white" You are hereby rejected as white. Seriously, does anyone really think people act the same in the media as they do in their private life?

Silverball site profile image

4/25/12 1:48 PM by Silverball

Who even knows what being genuine means when discussing an MMA fighter? Hendo was responding to question posed to him by Ariel Helwani, and he was reluctant to even answer it at first, but we all know what a trouble making shill Helwani is.Joking, kind of, but if I cared more about Jones' image, then I'd advise him to stop trying to correct his behavior. Just be yourself. You choke Machida out and drop him to the ground, then you walk away. Oh, but Greg Jackson wants you to walk over and say something to him to get some fans!? Fuck that. Later in your career you can pick up opponents when you really mean it, and everyone will praise you for your growth as a person and a martial artist.

runster site profile image

4/25/12 10:39 AM by runster

Jon Jones gets hated because he is the best by far. that's about it.

Out To Lunch site profile image

4/25/12 8:42 AM by Out To Lunch

He sure seems that way. Some guys seem to get defensive if you merely give your opinion on how the guy comes off.

Floppy Divac site profile image

4/24/12 9:03 PM by Floppy Divac

This has been one of my biggest problems with him is that he's just totally disingenuous.  Other fighters have said this about Jon Jones too, dude's fake as fuck.

bhealthy site profile image

4/24/12 8:55 PM by bhealthy

translation: "he gets his gear from the same Doctor i do"

MPA site profile image

4/24/12 8:53 PM by MPA

Is he genuine? A better question to ask yourself is "Can he kick my ass"?

Choken Necks site profile image

4/24/12 8:52 PM by Choken Necks

I think the main reason Jones has haters is because he destroyed Shogun and Machada.Its only going to get worse after he smashes the shit out of Hendo.