Marcus Davis: I think time has caught up with me

by Kirik Jenness | source: facebook

Former UFC welterweight 'The Irish Hand Grenade' Marcus Davis returned to his spiritual home of Ireland to fight Mark Casserly for the ISKA Light Cruiserweight kickboxing world championship in Dublin Sunday night. Davis lost via first round KO from a right high kick.

The experiece has given him opportunity to reflect, via facebook. Among many others, Davis's son and manager respond.

Irish Hand Grenade
Sorry all.. Im just not pulling the trigger like I did even 5 years ago. I have days in the gym where i cant be touched but days where I'm lethargic. Consistency is key to being a professional fighter. My reactions have slowed. I'm not going to make my decision now until I am with my family but this wouldn't have happened 10-5 years ago. Time I think has caught up with me. I will be with my wife tomorrow and we will discuss my career. From the bottom of my heart I thank everyone who has ever supported me... God bless
Marcus

Duncan Davis
we all love u dad just hurry home back to us!

Joe Cav
Marcus theres nothing to be sorry about! You have been my good friend, a role model to me and my favorite fighter ever, you have accomplished so much and I have been blessed to be able to watch and come along for the ride. Keep your head up. We all love you win or lose... it doesn't matter! Talk to you when you get home

Read entire Facebook...

Davis is 2-3 over his last five MMA fights, most recently having recently lost a split decision to TUF veteran Chuck O'Neil at W-1 MMA 7 in Florida.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

TapouT Ankle Bar Athletic Socks (3 Pack)

TapouT Ankle Bar Athletic Socks (3 Pack)

tags: Marcus Davis (detail)  Mark Casserly   video

56sav site profile image

5/8/12 1:12 AM by 56sav

Work!All jokes aside I don't think it's necessarily time to retire but his days in the big leagues are obviously over.

Acidic site profile image

5/8/12 12:57 AM by Acidic

He never got much respect but he went 8-2 in the UFC racking up some pretty good wins, putting on some great fights and he's usually only lost to top fighters

CindyO site profile image

5/8/12 12:55 AM by CindyO

Bump... Cindy

InYourMomaCloset site profile image

5/7/12 4:16 PM by InYourMomaCloset

Damn, that does sound like a fucking nasty KO though. Hope he takes at least 6 months off after that if he's gonna continue.

John Wayne Pain site profile image

5/7/12 1:15 PM by John Wayne Pain

I watched on youtube this mourning. He seemed to be doing allright in the fight, then he got caught. It happens.

ajsr site profile image

5/7/12 1:13 PM by ajsr

I was there; it was an absolutely brutal KO and he didn't move for a long, long time afterward. At his age it is probably time to hang them up.

myjawhurts site profile image

5/7/12 1:04 PM by myjawhurts

TTT

buckshot44 site profile image

5/7/12 12:40 PM by buckshot44

Nasty kayo! Yowsers! Always enjoyed watching him fight. All the best Marcus!

Combat Sport Fan site profile image

5/7/12 11:56 AM by Combat Sport Fan

MArcus Davis is a great fighter....So many wars that i think they just caught up with him.Everyone he fought wanted to test their standup against a professional boxer. thing with Davis was he was a great ambassador of the sport because he was very vocal about the differences between boxing and mma and that pure boxing stand up is not the way to win in the sport. True athlete, many wars, and would have loved to see him get a crack at a world title

GSP24 site profile image

5/7/12 11:54 AM by GSP24

Marcus Davis is an inspiration. After losing at the TUF 2 finale he goes out and fights his way back and goes on a tear. Put on exciting fights and evolved from a boxer to a mixed martial arts fighter.Congrats Marcus!