Amateur MMA: Why It matters

source: MMAInsidetheCageTV

MMA: Inside the Cage is a nationally syndicated highlight/discussion show centered around mixed martial arts.

This is the pilot episode for MMA: Inside the Cage Unscripted. This more of a video podcast, where Casey Oxendine, Cyrus Fees can be more candid, with more time to elaborate on the stories of the week.

In this episode, ISKA Regional Supervisor Todd Murray joins the hosts, and discusses the state of Amateur MMA. You'll hear the pros, cons, and all sides of the amateur MMA discussion.

Combat Sports 8 oz. MMA Amateur Competition Gloves,Blue,large
Combat Sports 8 oz. MMA Amateur Competition Gloves,Red,large

Combat Sports 8 oz. MMA Amateur Competition Gloves

Item# csi-1153
$59.99
size: M, L

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

JAKKS Pacific Series 1 Evan Tanner Action Figure

JAKKS Pacific Series 1 Evan Tanner Action Figure

Hayabusa Tokushu 4oz MMA Gloves

Hayabusa Tokushu 4oz MMA Gloves

tags: Casey Oxendine   Amateur MMA   video

UGCTT_Roadkill site profile image

5/15/12 3:12 PM by UGCTT_Roadkill

I just had my 2nd ammy fight in OK and everything is the same (gloves and no shin pads) except we can't elbow to the head and we can't use a plum to knee the head. I definitely feel like it prepares me for my eventual pro debut. Our hotel and first meal is paid for as well as our gas to travel. Would be nice to get a percentage of ticket sales as well. I thought any money for any reason given to an amateur wasn't allowed though.

UGCTT_Roadkill site profile image

5/15/12 3:12 PM by UGCTT_Roadkill

oxvaletudo site profile image

5/15/12 8:38 AM by oxvaletudo

I appreciate everyone watching this week!!We are always looking for great fights, hard hitting knockouts, and anything interesting from the world of MMA.. Whether its from big events or the small show down the road, the only criteria is that it is exciting!So if you or anyone you know has some great footage that you think the world should see, email me about it at oxvaletudo@yahoo.com. We will take a look at it and try to get it up on a future episode. Remember that it must be original footage with expressed permission to use the material..

oxvaletudo site profile image

5/15/12 8:38 AM by oxvaletudo

TylerA site profile image

5/11/12 6:28 PM by TylerA

Truth. Didn't realize how much this crap costs until actually getting into it myself... you PAY hundreds of dollars to fight, lol. Almost seems silly... I agree, though, that there needs to be some sort of unified rules for amateurs across the board. It makes sense not having elbows, and knees to the face in amateur. No need for more ways to get cut open when you aren't getting paid. Bigger gloves, and shin pads seem a bit ridiculous though in my opinion.

TylerA site profile image

5/11/12 6:28 PM by TylerA

I<3BigfishBass! site profile image

5/11/12 1:39 PM by I<3BigfishBass!

No elbows or knees to the head for any ammy in GA. After 3 fights they allow punches to the head on the ground. Shin guards and bigger gloves still also

I<3BigfishBass! site profile image

5/11/12 1:39 PM by I<3BigfishBass!

BrandCarey site profile image

5/11/12 12:36 PM by BrandCarey

I respectfully disagree. I think amateur competition in any sport lets the guys work up to pro levels. I don't think you should instantly be subject to everything the sport has to offer. Muay thai and BJJ tournaments are no different. Lower levels have different rules for more safety.And AS Temp said above amateurs have to pay for their own care so making it safer is beneficial for everyone involved. As I said above(and so did Temp) I like the different levels of amateur approach. Similar to BJJ tournaments wehre different levels are allowed to do more. A 9-0 ammy fighter who has been training for years should be closer to a pro rules but I don't think and 1-0 or 0-1 fighter should be fighting the same way. My two cents anyways.

BrandCarey site profile image