Nate Diaz: Gil Melendez #1 at 155

source: sherdog.com

Nate Diaz talked with Jordan Breen Tuesday night in Northern California, where the UFC lightweight No. 1 contender has already returned to work.

"I’ve been training with Gilbert and Jake (Shields) for years," said Diaz. "They’ve shown me a lot. These are guys I look up to. Me and Gil been battling it out in here for years.

"There’s no one better than him. There’s no doubt in my mind he’s the best 155′er on the planet and I think he deserves to be right there in the UFC holding the UFC belt. He’s the man."

UFC President Dana White has said he’ll get the next shot at the UFC lightweight belt if he’s willing to wait. Melendez, meanwhile, is set for a third fight with Josh Thomson on May 19.

Read entire article...

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

tags: video   UFC   Strikeforce   Gil Melendez   Nate Diaz (detail)

BuyTheTicketTakeTheRide site profile image

5/11/12 2:03 PM by BuyTheTicketTakeTheRide

Where did anyone say Edgar beat Benson?The point was that it was a close fight.

cool ya self site profile image

5/11/12 1:23 PM by cool ya self

Would they fight each other? I doubt it. I guess they can both get a shot at Bendo.

Krypstonite site profile image

5/11/12 11:36 AM by Krypstonite

This. Frankie is great. Its amazing how some people rate fighters after 1 loss. From the best of the best to just plain garbage over night. If Frankie is not that good, and he beat Gray. where does that put Gray, Just outside top 10...?

Jsteven site profile image

5/11/12 10:42 AM by Jsteven

The old super motivated, trained by the marinovich brothers, not eating burritos, and wearing the gi bj would murder them

Paradiso site profile image

5/11/12 8:26 AM by Paradiso

It is Showtime that won't allow Strikeforce to transfer fighters to the UFC. Strikeforce's new deal with Showtime only allowed HWs to be transferred over, everyone else had to stay.

NJstileNJ site profile image

5/11/12 8:23 AM by NJstileNJ

Youre a fuckin retard... And I can't wait for Melendez to get to the ufc so all this bullshit can stop of course he's the best because he's hot in the ufc...He would lose to Bendo, Nate, Maynard, and Edgar.

unclehulka13 site profile image

5/11/12 8:21 AM by unclehulka13

Edgar beat benson how? By catching leg kicks and being punched right after?

smac 2.0 site profile image

5/11/12 8:00 AM by smac 2.0

lol @ him getting "smashed" by Bendo, lots of people, including the president of the ufc think he won. calling that smashed is just hating. the first fight with bj was close - he knocked him around in the second one and he knocked maynard out.also lol @ him being overrated. he's 14 and 2 with wins over bj, maynard, sherk, franca, and miller among others. he has one of the best records at lw, and against top competition.

Farewell Brock site profile image

5/11/12 7:07 AM by Farewell Brock

I honestly don't get where all the Edgar love is coming from. I mean he's a good fighter but I honestly think he is very much over rated. He should have list the first bj fight, then going 1-0-1 vs gray. And getting smashed by bendo... I don't see Frankie in the top 3 in the UFC. Let alone adding Gil to the roster

RandyDarsh site profile image

5/11/12 2:51 AM by RandyDarsh

Haha not vs Nate or Gil ...