Sherk: I'm still one of the best

by Dave Doyle | source: mmafighting.com

"I'm not ready to walk away," said Sherk. "I consider myself still one of the top fighters in the world, I just want to get the right fight, get the right fight for my legacy."

The 38-year old Sherk has been competing in combat sports since age seven, with a decorated career as an amateur wrestler before making his mixed martial arts debut in the pre-Unified Rules era in 1999. And while he's been lucky enough to go as long as he has without suffering a serious injury, the cumulative effect from three decades of scrapping was his reason for taking an extended break.

"It's just normal wear and tear," said Sherk (36-4-1). "I've been competing in wrestling since I was seven years old, for 13 years, and I've been fighting professionally for 12 years. My first fight was in ‘99, so, you know, it's been a long road. I've always trained hard, my goal was work hard in the gym so I wouldn't have to suffer defeat, wouldn't ever have to get tired, wouldn't have to watch my opponent get his hand raised. Obviously over time, that stuff adds up."

MusclePharm Battle Fuel XT (160 capsules)

MusclePharm Battle Fuel XT (160 capsules)

MusclePharm Assault

MusclePharm Assault

tags: Sean Sherk (detail)

sevenwithcheese site profile image

5/12/12 5:39 PM by sevenwithcheese

I hope they catch all of them, but I'm not willing to just condemn the entire sport. I loved baseball and watched PEDs ruin it, so I understand how big the problem is, it's just up to the journalists and drug tests to expose that, not me.

HELWIG site profile image

5/12/12 12:44 PM by HELWIG

"Please sign for a fight soon, Sherk. And get back to the guard passing + wrestling monster that you used to be!" Exactly. He was ALL OVER Franca with the perfect strategy. Sherk's only shot at this point is to get inside, put guys down, pass and beat them up. Its a brutal and fast game these days.

BshMstr site profile image

5/12/12 12:13 PM by BshMstr

i'd like to see Sherk fight again, as long as he fights smart.he's got decent boxing, wrestling and sub defense, and insane conditioning.BUT, he tends to do dumb things.... as mentioned before, he tends to box guys he shouldn't, instead of integrating his all-around MMA game.i don't think he'd do well against BJ again, but it might be interesting see him fight with a different strategy.

Loxly site profile image

5/11/12 9:54 PM by Loxly

uppity 11'er

UGCTT_ZJJitsu705 site profile image

5/11/12 9:46 PM by UGCTT_ZJJitsu705

Loxly is a faggot.

inf0 site profile image

5/11/12 9:37 PM by inf0

Sherk needs to use one of these to wipe his butt..................

Loxly site profile image

5/11/12 8:48 PM by Loxly

i was told by a mod no one cares what i think. i also did not associate injuries to steroids, i simply put since testing positive for steroids he has encountered many injuries, and has not fought in a long time. younger fighters would be rusty after a long layoff, let alone 38 year old fighters who as you put, smashes and has smashed for a long time. he only wants to fight top guys, and he will get a couple more fights against top guys but i think he will have a tough time against the top guys in lightweight. some people wanna gets angry cause i don't want to hug the same nuts you hug, i don't mind.

THP site profile image

5/11/12 8:29 PM by THP

Yes, let's accredit his injuries to steroids and not to age or the fact that he gets smashed and smashes for a living. The poster above is a fine thinker.

Loxly site profile image

5/11/12 7:57 PM by Loxly

you don't like that i feel he should of lost to Dunham, that's fine...let's look at truth then -he is 5-3 in his last 8 fights, -he has been caught for steroids -he has sustained many injuries since busted for steroids -he has not fought since Sept 2010 -he is 38 turning 39 later this year in recap -thread title says Sherk is still one of the best lightweights -me, being the uppity 11'er - disagree with that statement and i have to said why -i have not discounted that Sherk has been champion, and has a great overall record -i am not saying don't give Sherk another fight in the UFC -i am not calling Sherk or any other member a loser which you, being a mod have done and i disagree with that

Elias Cepeda site profile image

5/11/12 7:26 PM by Elias Cepeda

So you want to not count fights he had before you started watching (they were far from the early days as well, btw), including a world title fight, as well as his last win because you don't agree with the decision - then you want to take up that entirely made up record and judge a fighter based on that?  No one cares who you think is "in the mix" or not based on your admitted limited viewing of the sport and made up records.  Who is and is not relevant in the sport is determined by the fighters in the ring, not by losers outside of it making stuff up.

MMA clothing and gear