Gurgel: I feel 'spit on' by Bellator

source: mmafighting.com

"For my own promotion to kind of diss me like that, it's like, wow. It just puts the icing on the cake," an exasperated Gurgel admitted on The MMA Hour.

"I wasn't very happy about it. I kind of knew that they were going to do or say something, whatever they had to do to promote the fight. But to throw me under the bus like that, the way most people have said, it just wasn't very nice, and it wasn't very professional in my eyes."

Of course, this isn't really anything new for Gurgel. The 28-year-old has heard the criticism and snubs from the beginning, when she dropped down from 135 pounds to join Bellator's 2010 strawweight tournament.

Despite her size advantage, Gurgel was never supposed to win against world-class opposition like Fujii and Aguilar. And though she ultimately did, defeating both women via highly contentious split decisions, Gurgel feels like she still hasn't gotten the credit she deserved, from both Bellator and fight fans.

"It's been drama from the beginning," she explained.

"I won. I beat them both. And to not get any sort of recognition, to be pretty much spit on, it was like, wow. I could not believe that.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

TapouT Ankle Bar Athletic Socks (3 Pack)

TapouT Ankle Bar Athletic Socks (3 Pack)

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

tags: Zoila Gurgel   Bellator

CindyO site profile image

5/25/12 4:23 PM by CindyO

Exactly!  Ha! I should have read a bit more- would have saved myself from making my last post=) Cindy

CindyO site profile image

5/25/12 4:20 PM by CindyO

If this was Zuffa instead of Bellator people would be bitching about how Zuffa sucks for STILL not paying a fighters medical bills 6 months (or more) later, no??? And it wouldn't matter that the fighter in question is a known pan-handler. They wouldn't have cut Zuffa a bit of slack. Cindy

Vancouver BJJ site profile image

5/25/12 1:22 PM by Vancouver BJJ

thehenriques site profile image

5/25/12 12:05 PM by thehenriques

VTFD YOU USELESS SHILLS

Caught by Quick site profile image

5/24/12 5:03 PM by Caught by Quick

VTFU!Quickie!

Son of Neckbone site profile image

5/24/12 11:28 AM by Son of Neckbone

If there is nothing suspicious about this thread title, then why do I have a boner?Also the snub is because of obvious gift decisions. It isn't fair for fans to dislike her b/c of how her fights were judged, but it is a reality.

Chris27 site profile image

5/24/12 10:27 AM by Chris27

If you say so. If this exact situation happened in the UFC I would bet you'd have a different take on it.If the UFC said they would pay for something and didnt, if Cruz had a closer fight with Faber and everyone thought Faber won, Cruz gets hurt, out for a while, gets taken out of the rankings, Faber/Barao rogan calls the two best, they completely forget about Cruz, never mention him. If Dana said he would help him out but never did and then nobody from the UFC ever calls Cruz to see how he is doing, what's going on, when will you be back etc I have a feeling even those who hate Cruz would be siding with him.You know thats the truth.

DucksnDoubles2 site profile image

5/24/12 10:20 AM by DucksnDoubles2

She is Jorge Gurgel's wife that should answer your question. I believe he won the 2011 award for biggest douche on the planet...

Hired Gun site profile image