Roy Nelson: I do Shaolin Kung-fu every day

by Kirik Jenness | source: ufc.com

Mixed Martial Arts is the application of the scientific method to fighting.

Ask a Question: What are the most effective fighting techniques in each martial art?
Do Background Research: What martial arts potentially have effective technqiues and are willing to test them?
Construct a Hypothesis: By having exponents of various martial arts fight against each other, over time the differences between the individuals will become unimportant, and the effectiveness of the style's techniques will become apparent.
Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment: Fight in a cage.
Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion: Boxing, wrestling, BJJ, and Muay Thai are among the martial arts with the most effective fighting techniques.
Communicate Your Results: It is the world's fastest growing sport.

Lost in all that is the more subtle value in other martial arts. In part two of Countdown to UFC 146, Roy Nelson details the benefits of his decades long Shaolin Kung-Fu practice.

"The Lohan school of Shaolin, I actually got started in my Sifu's garage," said Nelson. "I think I was 15 1/2, 16. Kung-fu is the root for I would say 95% of all martial arts. I practice it every day."

"(With Sticky Hands) basically you're just working with their body movement, where you're feeling their energy, and just trying to manipulate that to your advantage."

"Working on the wooden dummy you can work on some striking, and you can also work grappling, like grabbing the leg, pushing the hips away."

"Meditation can help make you more mentally strong, especially during a fight. It slows everything down so that you can control the chaos."

Fear the Fighter Roy Nelson UFC 166 Walkout Shirt

Fear the Fighter Roy Nelson UFC 166 Walkout Shirt

Fear the Fighter Boxing Club 2013 Shirt

Fear the Fighter Boxing Club 2013 Shirt

tags: video   UFC 146   Roy Nelson (detail)

uniquetechnique site profile image

5/26/12 3:18 AM by uniquetechnique

Mike Bland?

uniquetechnique site profile image

5/26/12 3:18 AM by uniquetechnique

Mike Bland?

mongo54 site profile image

5/25/12 4:08 PM by mongo54

yeah, I was in and out, mostly using the training for law enforcement programs I developed. I try and tell people about all the big names that came through John's gym then and there are so many I forget alot.

mongo54 site profile image

5/25/12 4:08 PM by mongo54

uniquetechnique site profile image

5/24/12 9:51 PM by uniquetechnique

Yes I think it was 808. He had ads in the Black Belt and Kung Fu magazines with different shirts. 2001, I was the teaching just a little bit there...then I decided not to. I was the Purple belt (4 stripes) from Fabio Santos at that time. Then when Laimon moved to hie Backyard...it was Spank,Beiri,Me,Sim,Sonny,Country,Uly and I forgot 2 of the names.lol

uniquetechnique site profile image

5/24/12 9:51 PM by uniquetechnique

Filo_Beto site profile image

5/24/12 8:44 PM by Filo_Beto

The roy nelson port of that video had to be a joke?Because there is nothing that roy nelson does in that cage that reflects kungfu. What he resembles is something closer to a bar fighter then a kung fu martial artist.

Filo_Beto site profile image

5/24/12 8:44 PM by Filo_Beto

mongo54 site profile image

5/24/12 6:35 PM by mongo54

Wasn't it 808?  we must know each other, I was training with John then also

mongo54 site profile image

5/24/12 6:35 PM by mongo54

Wasn't it 808?  we must know each other, I was training with John then also

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!