Bibiano Fernandes: Off UFC 149 with injury? I never signed with UFC

by John Joe O'Regan | source: fightersonlymag.com

A number of MMA news sites are reporting that Brazilian Bantamweight Bibiano Fernandes suffered an undisclosed injury and will not make his promotional debut July 21 in Calgary, Alberta, at UFC 149 against Roland Delorme, as previously announced.

However, Fernandes says he never signed a UFC contract to begin with.

Further, Ariel Helwani is reporting that he is instead looking at ONE FC.

Update on Bibiano: He says he never signed a UFC contract. I can confirm he was offered a better contract by ONE FC

Read entire Twitter...

Fernandes speaks, via Facebook.

“I would like to make perfectly clear the news concerning my involvement with the UFC," said Fernandez. "It was announced that I, Bibiano Fernandes have been contracted to fight for the organization at UFC 149 which will take place in the city of Calgary on the 21st of July. I would like to make it clear that I am not a UFC athlete as I did not sign any contract with the UFC organization."

“Negotiations between the UFC and myself did take place, however, we could not resolve the issues on the table and as a result we did not come to an agreement. The recent reports that have been circulating in the media are false, contrary to what is being said, I am not a UFC athlete.

“I am a family man before anything else and my profession as an athlete in this sport provides me with the ability and the necessary means to provide for my family. I did not find the terms set before me by the UFC beneficial to my family and as a result an agreement could not be reached and no contract was signed.

“It should be noted that the UFC is the largest MMA organization in the world however, my personal and professional obligations have brought me to the decision that I will not be a part of the UFC organization at this point in time. The day that an agreement is reached and the terms set forth are beneficial to both parties involved, I will have the most pleasure and satisfaction to fight for the organization while always representing my beloved country.

“In conclusion, I would like it to be known that I am still the Bantamweight Champion for the DREAM organization. Last but not least, I would like to thank God and all my fans and hope they understand my decision.”

Read entire Facebook...

Bill Mahood, Fernandes' representative with the BCMMAA management firm, on told MMAjunkie.com he could not comment beyond Fernandes' Facebook statement. He said he had not spoken to the fighter since before the statement was posted.

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

tags: UFC   DREAM   ONE FC   Bibiano Fernandes

HELWIG site profile image

6/12/12 8:28 PM by HELWIG

Best post Ive ever seen from you.

CindyO site profile image

6/12/12 8:14 PM by CindyO

I doubt DW even knows who this kid is or anything bout an offer from Joe Silva. Cindy

CindyO site profile image

6/12/12 8:13 PM by CindyO

Good Lord, another genius! Cindy

RKing85 site profile image

6/12/12 8:12 PM by RKing85

*grabs some popcorn, pulls up a chair, and waits for this to get good*

CindyO site profile image

6/12/12 8:11 PM by CindyO

If they have a monopoly then how the hell was there someone else, paying more, to go to??? Cindy

CindyO site profile image

6/12/12 8:05 PM by CindyO

I had to doublecheck the thread to make sure I wasn't posting in an old 2003 blast from the past. You are just acting dumb. Cindy

breakbeatbox site profile image

6/12/12 7:23 PM by breakbeatbox

Wow, UFC would be crazy not to pursue Bibiano further.

MMALOGIC site profile image

6/12/12 6:48 PM by MMALOGIC

as a brazilian bibiano is crazy not to sign with the ufc.  The UFC is huge in Brazil... the potential sponsorships alone would be worth it... brazilians are offering to fight for free. if Zuffa set up a fight for him, placed him on the website and sent him a contract... and he didnt sign it.  He will never get another shot again.

Roidie McDouchebag site profile image

6/12/12 6:36 PM by Roidie McDouchebag

That isn't an issue with Bibiano, he can make a good living running his own gym, which he has stated is his plan for the future.He also said he only wants to fight a couple more times in his career before retiring, so each fight has to pay well or it isn't worth it.

mikerobmma site profile image

6/12/12 6:20 PM by mikerobmma

All these people complaining about low balling sure do have fuzzy memories about what happens to all the orgs willing to pay these guys the money they think they "deserve." Both of these guys would make waaaaay more money long term if they were to join the UFC and simply win fights like they obviously think they would (considering the money they ask for). Even if they can't hack it, they'd still have UFC fighter as part of their resume which only increases their value.Whatever. The UFC business model seems to be very successful, and I'd prefer it to stay that way. With money from sponsorships, seminars, and teaching seeing a serious bump with a UFC contract, not to mention undisclosed locker room bonuses and pay increases for winning your damn fights and drawing in fans, I can hardly empathize with guys like Bibiano or Mamed. If I make it the UFC level, I guarantee that I will parlay that into income that will last me a lifetime. If these guys can't figure that out then it's their own damn fault.

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!