Disabled grappler wins the crowd in Brazil

by Ben Thapa | source: bloodyelbow.com

Seeing a disabled athlete go this far for the Love of the Game is extraordinary. Seeing other athletes respect that in full is tears of joy-inducing.

Patrick Santos of Gama Filho Team (black gi) grapples with someone named Alan, who may have cerebral palsy, in the first round of a BJJ tournament in Brazil.

Venum Giant Amazonia Red Short Sleeve Rashguard

Venum Giant Amazonia Red Short Sleeve Rashguard

Storm Supreme Gi

Storm Supreme Gi

tags: BJJ   video

DiscipleDojo site profile image

7/17/12 11:20 AM by DiscipleDojo

"You don't stop training BJJ because you get old...you get old because you stop training BJJ." Keep it up, Ocean6. I was at Renzo Gracie Academy last month for their promotion ceremony and a guy got his Black belt from Renzo who was in his late 60s (or possibly early 70s!). He'd driven 3 hours each day for class for years. It was incredible.

Ocean6 site profile image

7/17/12 10:06 AM by Ocean6

Just wanted to thank the OP and this young man again for the inspiration.I am still in class at a Rickson lineage school and loving it!My teacher is very cool, makes class fun and interdasting, and the other students all have great attitudes.Sure, I got some 45 year old man aches and pains, but I am getting stronger, losing weight, feeling more flexible, enjoying the cardio, and sleeping better!

Built Like  A Fedor site profile image

6/29/12 4:36 AM by Built Like A Fedor

ttt

shootfightermike site profile image

6/29/12 3:41 AM by shootfightermike

ttt

Ocean6 site profile image

6/27/12 9:03 PM by Ocean6

2nd class tonight.I'm hooked.Bump so that maybe a few others will be inspired!

UGCTT_xxzygotexx site profile image

6/26/12 6:25 PM by UGCTT_xxzygotexx

Fantastic video...

Ocean6 site profile image

6/26/12 6:18 PM by Ocean6

HAHA! Thanks Man!To answer your question, even though I am fat and out of shape, I always was one of the best athletes in grade and high school, so I wasn't really too nervous.Also, I just DECIDED it was going to be fun, and I don't know how they normally act(being a Rickson school, I was a bit worried they might be a little uptight...) and so, I went in with a smile, shook everyone's hand, was self effacing and my normally funny self, and just had a good time.I do admit to a very small amount of nervousness while waiting for the class to start, but once we got going, it was just...awesome!The teacher was cool, and helpful. They also put me with the highest ranked belt in the class, so that he could temper my ... noobness a bit.I hope you start back soon too Motivated Penn.I have a couple of Gracie frineds, daughter and grandaughter of the 1st, Carlos. They have shard stories and info with me, we've watched UFCs together.They suggested I take classes, but I just couldn't see myself doing it until....this vid.Someone thank this young man for me, if you know him.Also, I want SFM, who lives here in the same town as I do, to join this class and get moving with me!!Someone page him to this!Thanks again, I can't tell y'all what this means to me!

Motivated Penn site profile image

6/26/12 4:52 PM by Motivated Penn

Awesome, Ocean6. It takes balls to join a martial arts school at 45, did you feel a little out of place? I mean, being 45 and, I assume being a complete beginner? I'm just curious.Cus I joined an MMA gym when I was 27, I am 6'3" and weigh 270, so I am vastly overweight and everybody else where was like 170 and 17-21 so haha. I have never had a problem with that though, I just came to learn how to fite (sic).I think that's just so awesome that the video spurred your joining starting BJJ. People who have never done grappling can't understand the feeling. I recently watched a video about this elite offroad biker, who said he needed 100% focus while doing this, there isn't room for anything in his mind, except focus on what he does. I think BJJ is a little bit the same. It's a perfect activity to release all tension and stop worrying, while doing BJJ you can't be anything other than a grappler.I cannot WAIT until I can go back and start rolling. Been out of class for.. almost a year now, will be past a year, once I return. Injury. I am a white belt so I will start fresh, even though I have been doing stuff for about 2 years, my body is a wreck haha.Oh, and Ocean, I think it was a good idea to not yell out that you trane UFC, even though, technically, we all know you are obviously traneing UFC.

Ocean6 site profile image

6/26/12 4:41 PM by Ocean6

Class last night was JUST what I was looking for!Laid back attitude. Solid Hickson Gracie basics designed for self defense, cool people, cool teacher, got a great sweat on.And I decided not to scream out that I trane ufc! LOL!I am sore today but going back for more and will be joining this school. Thanks again for posting this incredible video. It has changed my life.

cheesesteak site profile image