Daley details split with Strikeforce

by Derek Bolender | source: mmajunkie.com

"(We were) just trying to get me a fight date while I was over at Strikeforce, and nothing was really coming back," Daley (29-12-2 MMA, 0-0 BFC) told MMAjunkie.com Radio.  "They (Zuffa) had nothing really planned out for me, so me and my management approached them and said, 'Look, if you've got nothing planned out for me, if you don't see some clear fights in the future for me, then I'd appreciate it if you let me go.'

"And they understood that. It was amicable. And they let me go."

Bellator Fighting Championships and CEO Bjorn Rebney wasted little time in securing the services of Daley, who inked a multi-fight contract.

"Bjorn's a very passionate guy about MMA, and I can see where he wants to go with this sport," Daley said. "I'm just happy he offered me the chance to be a part of it."

Daley, who has fought for more than 15 different promotions since his professional career began in 2003, knows a good opportunity when he sees it.

"I've been looking at Bellator while I've been with other promotions," he said. "I've been looking at the way they've been developing, and obviously with the Viacom acquisition, you can only expect more from the promotion."

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Frank Mir Action Figure

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Frank Mir Action Figure

MMAWarehouse Logo Hat

MMAWarehouse Logo Hat

tags: Paul Daley (detail)  Strikeforce   Bellator

3rdLion site profile image

6/25/12 4:59 PM by 3rdLion

Are you seriously putting Daley in the same category as Kimbo? Come on now, he has Kenny Johnson live with him for weeks on end for his training camps, it's not like he's not trying.

Shatcore site profile image

6/25/12 12:56 PM by Shatcore

This.

Chimonos Revenge site profile image

6/25/12 12:50 PM by Chimonos Revenge

Yes, he has improved his wrestling over the years. My contention with your post is the comparison to JDS who has never showed a glaring weakness in any aspect of MMA during his career. JDS trains with the Nogs, you know his ground game is going to be solid.There are differences between fighters who are good everywhere but prefer to keep the fight in the one aspect that they choose (JDS, Chuck, Anderson even)And fighters that are one dimensional because they dont have ability in the other dimensions (Daley, Houston Alexander, Kimbo, etc)

Acidic site profile image

6/25/12 12:44 PM by Acidic

Dont think you get what im trying to say. Youre nit picking it into detail when what i stated was pretty broad. Daley is like a Cro Cop and JDS. A striker with defencive wrestling. Simple as that. His wrestling is improving im not saying its at that level yet but obviously someone like Kos and Woodley who have wrestled all there life are going to take him down. In the Woodley fight last year you saw improvements in his wrestling. Did you mis his fight with Radev who is a wrestler? a lot more relevant then masvidal from 2 years ago

random_perv site profile image

6/25/12 12:37 PM by random_perv

But you took the time to post.

Chimonos Revenge site profile image

6/25/12 12:32 PM by Chimonos Revenge

Also, JDS has never displayed a complete helplessness to one aspect of MMA like Daley has.Daley had all he could handle keeping Jorge Masvidal (a lightweight) from taking him down, and was completely helpless against Woodley and Koscheck. Wrestlers have beaten Daley consistently througtout his entire career.Comparing JDS to that is an absurd notion.

UGCTT_Listen to Rush site profile image

6/25/12 12:32 PM by UGCTT_Listen to Rush

Lol this

Chimonos Revenge site profile image

6/25/12 12:24 PM by Chimonos Revenge

Well, at least he isnt being "tooken down"I think youre buyest.

Acidic site profile image

6/25/12 11:36 AM by Acidic

Daley is no longer one dimensional. Hes improved his wrestling to a point he can avoid almost anyone TDs. One dimensional is someone who relies on aspect to defend and attack. Daley relies on his striking for offence and avoid being tooken down with his TDD. If hes one dimensional then so is JDS

3rdLion site profile image