Guida likens UFC 147 booing crowd to Jersey Shore crowd

by Chuck Mindenhall | source: espn.go.com

Until this weekend, you could count on a few sure things in life: Death, Taxes, and Clay Guida having exciting fights.

Following the UFC on FX 4 headliner between Clay Guida and Gray Maynard during which "The Carpenter" debuted a new Jog n Jab style, for once, UFC President Dana White did not hold back his thoughts. “The fight sucked," explained White.

The crowd was if anything more upset, moving from being clearly pro Guida to lustily booing as Guida sought to evade Maynard's bombs, in an unsucessful strategy (Maynard won a Split Decision victory).

In a post fight interview, Guida expressed no regrets, said he like the Jackson's MMA crafted strategy, and criticised the MMA fans in attendance.

“It motivates me even more [to hear the boos],” Guida said later when asked what he thought of the crowd turning on him. “We’re on the Jersey shore, and I think there’s a misconception of what mixed martial arts is. Yeah, it motivates me even more than anything. The boos motivated me, and I was just getting into my groove. Three rounds is a warm-up; five rounds [and] I was still bouncing around.”

But given the turncoat nature of the fans on hand, ESPN.com asked Guida the question: If knew the crowd would turn on him going in would he have stuck to his game plan? Would he have changed anything?

“I’d stick to my game plan,” he said, his left eye swollen shut. “The game plan that they’re used to, just going in there and playing Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em robots and get my head kicked off and get punches in the face? No. I stuck to a smart strategy and wasn’t there for big punches. I liked my game plan.”

Read entire article...

Century Versys VS.3 Fight Simulator

Century Versys VS.3 Fight Simulator

Affliction Gracie Fighter Shirt

Affliction Gracie Fighter Shirt

tags: UFC 147   Clay Guida (detail)

cheesesteak site profile image

6/26/12 11:25 AM by cheesesteak

Guida, the guido's are right this time. never thought i'd agree with a bunch of jersey guidos. But you fought like a girl.Someone posted this in a different thread, it's hilarious.blue namer pleaseGuida and team Jackson leaving the arenahttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgCq7oQ-dZE

GeoDim site profile image

6/26/12 11:18 AM by GeoDim

Dancer bashing, IMO

redenstein site profile image

6/26/12 10:17 AM by redenstein

Good for you Guida, keep sticking to that same game plan. Of course, you won't be fighting in the UFC anymore but at least you'll be sticking to your game plan.

3 Sided Square site profile image

6/26/12 5:10 AM by 3 Sided Square

Guida has a lot of nerve saying the Jersey Shore crowd has no idea of what MMA is. I have never, I mean NEVER! seen more affliction shirts in one area than when I am getting my GTL on at The Shore.What he said is borderline fighter bashing as some of the guys with the best knuckle games hang out in those nightclubs.

Johnny Tightlips site profile image

6/26/12 4:54 AM by Johnny Tightlips

Lol Greg jackson has some of the most exciting fighters and best finishers in his camp. Just because a couple of fighters had a bad performance people start blindly pointing the finger at Jackson.

bobby boulders site profile image

6/26/12 4:49 AM by bobby boulders

Lol@ him blaming the boos on it being in Jersey. Most people everywhere that watched that fight are in agreement that his performance sucked ass... Even his own boss.

Braziliant site profile image

6/26/12 3:41 AM by Braziliant

I guess the Jackson camp really do ruin MMA fighters. That was just an absolutely disgusting strategy. It worked with Condit, so it will automatically work with Guida? Fuck off, Greg. If it was a smart strategy, it wouldn't have lost him the fight. Mixed Martial Arts isn't exact science, just because it worked once, it's not always to work. When you have to get warned by the referee to stop acting like a little girl, you know something about what you are doing isn't just. To the people that say what he did was part of MMA, really? Using unorthodox footwork that a 10 year old can do instead of intellectual technique is part of MMA? No, it's garbage that finds its way onto MMA is what it really is. Maynard could have done the same strategy, but he's an MMA fighter ;)

Jaybrone site profile image

6/25/12 11:01 PM by Jaybrone

He had some boring clay n pray fights long before ever going to Jackson's.

Jaybrone site profile image

6/25/12 10:51 PM by Jaybrone

Go back and watch most of those FOTN performances they are great gifts because he takes a beating and still keeps coming.

MMA apparel and training equipment
BLACK FRIDAY