Joe Lauzon discusses MMA injuries

source: The Underground

From: Joe Lauzon's Stats">Joe Lauzon
Edited: 06/27/12 10:59 AM
Twitter, Director of Awesome
Member Since: 1/1/01
Posts: 14413

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Fighting in the UFC is a dream come true. I get to wake up and everyday I have the luxury of focusing 100% on improving myself as a fighter. The pressure is always on to perform but I thrive on that pressure. There is no denying that while I love my job, it can be stressful at times. For months, I get beat up everyday in the gym in hopes that it will pay off in the end and I will win when it counts... on fight night. Seems a little backwards, right?

Unfortunately, sometimes injuries sustained in training are sometimes too great and we don't all make it to fight night.

Injuries have been plaguing the UFC as of late. Joe Silva, the UFC's Matchmaker, has been putting together some AMAZING fights but the fighters aren't quite making it to the cage. It's not that fighters are suddenly becoming diva's or choosing not to fight in hopes of exploiting the UFC's semi-new accident insurance. Fighter's are training really hard to be at their best so they push themselves to their limits... and in some cases beyond.

Today after one of my workouts, I checked my phone and had a missed call and voicemail. "Mr Lauzon... it's Joe [Silva], I don't usually have good news... give me a call back." And just like that, I scream a few obscenities at my boxing coach because I know. Terry Etim is out of the fight.

We spent a LOT of time breaking down tape, working VERY specific things for Terry Etim... for the second time. Terry and I were supposed to fight once before at UFC118 in Boston... but he broke his ribs in training and was forced to pull out. For whatever reason... Terry and I are just never going to fight. I wish him a speedy recovery and hope its nothing too serious.

I think we have a replacement, but I am waiting to hear back on exactly who it will be. I don't want to let the cat out of the bag because nothing is finalized... but as soon as I can announce it, I will.

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

MusclePharm Sportsline Shirt

MusclePharm Sportsline Shirt

tags: UFC   Joe Lauzon (detail)  Terry Etim

GSP24 site profile image

6/28/12 1:27 PM by GSP24

Why in the fuck was this fight not scheduled for UFC 149?!Fuuuck!

UGCTT_Fillthy site profile image

6/28/12 1:22 PM by UGCTT_Fillthy

Joe by sappmission

funkjoker site profile image

6/28/12 5:22 AM by funkjoker

joe, against jamie varner, will you come to grapple or will you come to fight?

UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay site profile image

6/28/12 5:20 AM by UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay

Sub'd

Farewell Brock site profile image

6/28/12 3:47 AM by Farewell Brock

Kick some ass joe, get that strap.

Sam Soul site profile image

6/28/12 3:46 AM by Sam Soul

Just to add, these are the injuries that you hear about. Speaking for myself and seeing dozens of other guys at various schools, fighters, martial artist sometimes or rather a lot of time won't complain and "work" through an injury which just makes things worse.Honestly its good to hear that people are pulling out, I think its a good sign for martial art culture to see people actually taking the time out and listening to their bodies to let them heal.If only this somehow curbed pain killer addiction or other short cuts to speed up healing. Then I think one demon of the sport could be put to rest.

Sam Soul site profile image

6/28/12 3:45 AM by Sam Soul

World Peace's Left Elbow site profile image

6/28/12 3:37 AM by World Peace's Left Elbow

Ttt

Herbish1 site profile image

6/27/12 11:50 PM by Herbish1

I vote for Jim Miller, that'd be a bad ass fight. Of course I'd have to root for Jim, but that's no disrespect to Joe, he's one of my favs. I think the fans would definitely be the winners in that fight.

World Peace's Left Elbow site profile image

6/27/12 10:46 PM by World Peace's Left Elbow

I say Varner because it's a step up in competition from Barboza and Varner is going to be wanting to do everything he can to jump back into relevance.

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!