Serra: I would pick Hughes at Madison Square Garden for my last fight

by Eric Holen | source: yahoo.com

"As of right now I have nothing on the radar, and there's nothing planned, and I'm fine with that. But if I could choose my last fight it would be against Matt Hughes at Madison Square Garden," Serra said. "That would be a beautiful thing. He (Hughes) has expressed interest in that fight on Twitter so I was like, 'Let's do this.'"

Serra is absolutely right. A tilt between him and Serra would be a beautiful thing, as a fight between two all-time greats would be interesting for the fans, especially here in New York.

Serra, a former UFC welterweight champ, is easily the most popular New Yorker to ever enter the octagon, and New York fight fans would love to send him off into retirement with a hometown match against one of his all-time greatest rivals, Matt Hughes.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

Venum Skintex Sparring MMA Gloves

Venum Skintex Sparring MMA Gloves

JeffersonDArcyChoke site profile image

7/9/12 5:21 PM by JeffersonDArcyChoke

It would serve the UFC right to stack the first MSG card only to have injuries render it like UFC 149. I'd love to see if Claude Patrick would then tell the fans it's still a great card or if the voice of NYC would drown out even the most ardent supporters.

HULKSMASH site profile image

7/9/12 2:31 PM by HULKSMASH

^^^What Mark Hunter just said..

Mark Hunter site profile image

7/9/12 1:46 PM by Mark Hunter

junobeachMember Since: 4/18/12

blacksamurai site profile image

7/7/12 3:11 PM by blacksamurai

Man JBJ is not even the most popular New Yorker in his family and Serra is a legend in Long Island before the UFC

junobeach site profile image

7/7/12 2:39 PM by junobeach

Suspect all you want but they're both well past their prime, UFC nepotism will not allow them to fight below co-main event meaning they would ruin another miserable card, and Matt Serra was never particularly good to begin with.Why anyone would want to see serra vs hughes again is beyond me

Chimonos Revenge site profile image

7/7/12 2:31 PM by Chimonos Revenge

I suspect you never have actually seen them fight in the UFC.Fucking '12er

ophusker site profile image

7/7/12 2:27 PM by ophusker

The decision in the first fight was fine. It was close but someone has to win and someone has to lose you are never going to satisfy everyone with a decision in a close fight. If the decision had gone the other way hughes would have a very real grip about the headbutt not being scored as such. Take that away and Hughes won the first round he took Serra down and tok his back after he recovered from the headbutt.

Nick Fury site profile image

7/7/12 1:49 PM by Nick Fury

"Serra, a former UFC welterweight champ, is easily the most popular New Yorker to ever enter the octagon"I think Jon Jones would say differently.

junobeach site profile image

7/7/12 12:37 PM by junobeach

I dont wanna see either guy ever fight again in the ufc