Sonnen: The knee hit me in the face, AND it was fair play

by Shaun Al-Shatti | source: mmafighting.com

Chael Sonnen appeared recently on UFC Tonight, and admitted Anderson Silva's controversial knee did actually nail him in the facet.

"The knee got me in the face ... and when he hit me with it I remember thinking for an instant, 'oh, ref's going to step in and probably take a point or do something,'" Sonnen carefully explained. "But this is not my message, I want to pick my words very carefully. This is not my message to say this. The knee landed where the knee landed. The result is the same, and I do not dispute the result.

"I would never appeal a loss. The referee's decision is final. Those are the rules that I agreed to prior to the event. I agreed to play by certain rules, and that's one of them. So no, I would not (appeal) it. The knee is not illegal. The knee hit me in the face, you can't knee a guy in the face, I understand that argument. But please understand, that is superseded by, it's a referee's judgment call, and when he makes the call, we don't do instant replay. I don't want this sport to have instant replay. And I don't want anyone to shed a tear for me. I have done plenty of things in the ring in the heat of the moment, and if one goes against me, that's fair play in my opinion."

Read entire article...

War Wrap Ez Rip Sports Tape

War Wrap Ez Rip Sports Tape

Elevation Training Mask 2.0 Matrix Sleeve

Elevation Training Mask 2.0 Matrix Sleeve

Stache site profile image

7/14/12 9:47 PM by Stache

De Nile.

DanGold site profile image

7/14/12 8:43 PM by DanGold

If the thigh is dangol legal, I hope we see some legdrops in future events man.

leifdawg site profile image

7/14/12 8:38 PM by leifdawg

Reminds me of Ricky Bobby:Mr. Dennit, with all due respect, and remember I'm sayin' with all due respect, that idea ain't worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin gettin' it on.

yabadaba site profile image

7/14/12 12:19 PM by yabadaba

It looks like some people misunderstood Sonnen's comments and thought the video evidence (which obviously shows the point of the knee hitting the chest) contracted what he said. It was implied/stated that Sonnen was lying. I assume these are 'idiots' the poster you quoted was referring to.

ranier wolfcastle site profile image

7/14/12 11:26 AM by ranier wolfcastle

heres a hypothetical: what if chael had been knocked unconcious by the thigh to the chin?though the knee appeared to be aimed at the chest, where it connected, the fight woulda been stopped by a ko that at least 1 ref says is illegal. "u cannot use the thigh" i dont wanna sound like i m making excuses for chael, i was rooting for ando

unclehulka13 site profile image

7/14/12 11:13 AM by unclehulka13

What does being in a fight have to do with clearly seeing no part of the knee, the part of the body not the action hits his face. It's already been deemed legal. You're grasping at straws sonny.

ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun site profile image

7/14/12 10:50 AM by ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun

Regardless of intent of the rule, guys get away with loopholes all the time. I think he would have a valid case based on the wording of the rule

roperninja site profile image

7/14/12 10:07 AM by roperninja

This. Can't believe there will be anymore debate to be honest.

SavageNationFan site profile image

7/14/12 10:03 AM by SavageNationFan

Can you strike the head of a down opponent with the thigh?

junon site profile image

7/14/12 9:59 AM by junon

for some reason i dont think the Chael fans feel adamantly the same about the Rampage/Arona fight.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!