Marquardt: I'll fight GSP if it comes to that

source: mmamania.com

After his victory, Marquardt declared that he indeed is the best welterweight in the world. Though there are certain 170-pounders in the UFC who may have something to say about that, specifically division kingpin Georges St. Pierre, whom Marquardt has trained with down at Jackson-Winkeljohns Mixed Martial Arts. When asked if he would ever have a problem facing "Rush," Marquardt said if it came down to it, he would have no issues stepping into the cage with him:

"I have competed everywhere in the world and I know my skills and abilities. Of course, I have to prove that I am the best, but I truly feel that I am the best. You got believe you are the best if you are the fighter. If you don't believe you're the best, then why are you doing it, you know? I got to believe that, and of course I believe I am better than everyone else, so. It's not a shot at Georges, personally. You, know, we have talked about it, but we will have to cross that bridge when we get there. It's, we know it is a possibility so. Yes, if that's, how it has to be, then so be it."

transcribed by MMAMania.com...

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Rashad Evans Action Figure

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Rashad Evans Action Figure

FreakDaddy site profile image

7/17/12 1:35 PM by FreakDaddy

GSP would wreck him, but I get that he has to believe he could win......

SoupCan site profile image

7/17/12 1:33 PM by SoupCan

Not to bash Nate but how was his WW debut in the UFC?isnt there some kinda problem that is standing in the way of him fighting GSP? Something kinda major, something that makes even talking about that fight useless

bhealthy site profile image

7/17/12 1:16 PM by bhealthy

zuffa can call this event "TOTAL DOMINATION"nate by viciuos KO or sub

JeffersonDArcyChoke site profile image

7/17/12 12:31 PM by JeffersonDArcyChoke

GSP can't even be bothered to watch Strikeforce much less fight a guy from there. Any SF guy mentioning a UFC champ is like a local band saying they'd love to open for U2. Yes, they would. Will they?When U2 plays the Bottle and Cork.

dustin dustin site profile image

7/17/12 12:29 PM by dustin dustin

GSP would beat every middleweight in the UFC. From stann to anderson, they all are 2 dimensional. The whole divi sucks. The mw divi just isnt up to par with the other weightclasses....the ww divi especially. Gsp>any mw. But Thats just my opinion...... :D

kungfugrip site profile image

7/17/12 11:14 AM by kungfugrip

of course he will fight GSP...he's fighting for a job right now. Once he establishes a place back in the ufc, we will see if he's singing the same tune

Authority Figure site profile image

7/17/12 10:31 AM by Authority Figure

You must have forgotten his fight with Anderson Silva. Nate can get a takedown. (and we don't have to worry about GSP going to elbows from the bottom, that would be too risky for him)And unlike everyone else GSP has fought, Nate may actually be fast enough and strong enough to put a stop to all this "careful fighting" on GSP's part.I'm not saying he would win, but I think he has an excellent chance. Better than most.

hanthorn site profile image

7/17/12 7:53 AM by hanthorn

he will lose if it comes to that.

Dookieshoes site profile image

7/17/12 7:26 AM by Dookieshoes

Georges div. is and always was a stacked div. Georges has defeated everyone set before him. Nate has nothing for GSP!