Shogun: I want my title back, Jones easier to study now

source: sports.yahoo.com

Former PRIDE 2005 Middleweight Grand Prix champion and UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Mauricio Rua recently participated in a Kevin Iole hosted live chat at Yahoo! Sports, and said his sights are set squarely on Jon Jones.

Jones took the title from Shogun 18 months ago at UFC 128, and since then kayoed Forrest Griffin at UFC 134, and narrowly lost to Dan Henderson at UFC 139 in what may be the best MMA fight of all time.

He fights Brandon Vera this Saturday at UFC on FOX 4. A definitive win there could earn him a title shot, and this time he says there is more time and tape to study.

Kevin Iole: I am going to ask a question for Shogun. How long did it take for you to recover from your injuries in the Dan Henderson fight.

Shogun Rua: That was a very tough fight but after a week or two of resting I was okay. Some people said I have some broken bones but I didn't, that wasn't true. It was a brutal fight and it took more time to recover mentally than any injury.

KI: What skills do you have that Brandon Vera doesnt have?

SR: It is difficult to look at opponents now and look at one skill over another because everyone is well rounded. I think, skill wise, maybe I have better BJJ than Vera.

KI: How do you think a rematch with Jon Jones would play out?

SR: That's the fight I want. I want my title back. I think he is much easier to study Jon Jones now... last time the guy was a brand new style in the UFC. Now we've seen him fight other guys and have more information what he's going to do in the Octagon. I am working towards beating him in a rematch.

KI: Who's hit you the hardest in your career?

SRJon Jones for aggression and Dan Henderson has the heavier hands.

KI: Why did Dana say you would rather be cut than fight Glover? Where did the disconnect between your camp and the UFC come from to mix the story up that badly?

SR: I don't know where the information came from. Right now, Glover isn't well known or ranked and has a long road ahead of him. With all respect, a win over him wouldn't have got me closer to the belt and getting the belt back is my only focus.

KI: Dana said if you look impressive, you get the next title shot. What is your response to that?

SR: I was very excited to hear that from Dana. From what I understand I have to be impressive and that is very motivating for me to put on a huge victory and beat Brandon Vera.

KI: Do you expect a muay thai battle with Vera or do you think he'll try to take you down?

SR: It will be a great Maut Thai war!

KI: What keeps you motivated after tough losses to Jones and Henderson??

SR: I think the fight with Henderson should have been a draw but, that's okay. It was close. But I really want a rematch with Jones because I can do so much better than i did the first fight.

KI: what is your opinion on Alistair Overeem and his evolution since you fought him 5 years ago?
(Ed note: Shogun knocked Overeem out, twice, both in the first round)

SR: He always has good kickboxing and wrestling. The biggest difference is the size of his body...

KI: At this point in your career, what are you most afraid of?

SR: No. I'm not afraid of anything or anyone.

KI: How much longer do you see yourself continuing to fight?

SR: Another six, seven years I think.

Read entire interview...

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

Venum Shogun Signature Hoodie

Venum Shogun Signature Hoodie

tags: UFC   Mauricio Rua (detail)  Shogun   Jon Jones (detail)

SOO72 site profile image

7/31/12 2:28 AM by SOO72

Neither of them is getting a title shot, it's just BS from the UFC to make the next card more appealing and to motivate the fighters to actually perform after that last shitfest of an event.

Idgetmyasskicked site profile image

7/31/12 2:23 AM by Idgetmyasskicked

Jones could not takedown Rashad and had trouble taking down lazy Rampage. JDS smokes JBJ.

epic hero site profile image

7/31/12 1:54 AM by epic hero

This. None of them train or compete they just sit behind the computer with a mountain dew in their hand and talk shit about legends of the sport, I'm sure they do it with a smirk on their fat faces. And everyone they walk past a mirror, they see themselves and remember how worthless they are.

newjack900 site profile image

7/31/12 1:43 AM by newjack900

What are you guys talking about 'how does a win over Vera get him closer to a title shot?' - - Dana White came out and said an impressive performance will get him another shot at Jones.. So in the end, Shogun was right. It makes no sense ranking wise, but somehow a win over Vera gets him to his goal. LHW needs some fresh talent asap.

Sal Penis site profile image

7/31/12 1:10 AM by Sal Penis

Fuck these tuf noobs like drunkard. Im in socal, say it to my face, home slice.

RyannVonDoom site profile image

7/31/12 1:00 AM by RyannVonDoom

Because Zuffa has no established rankings, they can make whoever the fuck they want #1 contender. it's like the WWE in that sense.

DeusEx site profile image

7/31/12 12:40 AM by DeusEx

This is the difference between a Champion like Shogun....and a loser like you guys.He won't quit after getting beat.On the other hand...You UGers will quit like the pussies you are.Thats the difference between a real man....and you.

Acidic site profile image

7/31/12 12:29 AM by Acidic

Yes i do know that im speaking to a little bitch ass punk.  Let me guess you think Chuck was the GOAT LHW huh? another Pride hater with no recolection of the past. Youre not an MMA fan and pretty sure downplaying and stating opinions as facts makes you a fucking retard of the highest order.  I didnt realize being a fan would make me a nut hugger maybe the facts i state hurt you blind hating faggotty ass.

Jons Forsberg site profile image

7/31/12 12:29 AM by Jons Forsberg

agree with everything except the last sentence. First off Shogun is 30 years old now so time is no longer on his side as his style is based on speed agility and reflexes. Also he's had 3 knees surgeries and If the rumors I hear are to be believed he doesn't have the cleanest life style either.

MPA2000 site profile image

7/31/12 12:24 AM by MPA2000

Rua, what do you hope to achieve that the guys after you were destroyed by the champ couldn't?It will be a boring more of the same destruction, with you once again tapping from strikes.Just like Anderson Silva, everyone has a plan until they step in the ring with Bones.