Varner: I could have beat Lauzon in a boring fight

source: insidemma

“With my fighting style, I fight with reckless abandon," said Jamie Varner reflecting on his UFC on FOX 4 loss to Joe Lauzon Saturday night. "I think that’s why I got Fight of the Night. I think that’s why people enjoy watching me fight. It’s because I don’t stop. You live by the sword, you die by the sword, unfortunately. Because I fight so hard and I scramble a lot I put myself in bad positions and I do get caught. And it sucks, but like I said, I’d rather fight hard and have people enjoy watching me fight than just always go out there and fight not to lose.”

“I could’ve beat Joe Lauzon with a jab. I could’ve ran, thrown the jab, thrown kicks, kept him away, and won a boring fight; won a boring decision. I could’ve done that in the third round too. But no, I wanted to put pressure on him. I wanted to be exciting. I wanted to go for the finish,” he explained. “I’m always looking for the finish. And unfortunately I got caught.”

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

MusclePharm Sportsline Shirt

MusclePharm Sportsline Shirt

JediJitsu site profile image

8/10/12 10:30 PM by JediJitsu

Joe's boxing is crisp, I'm not sure if serious.

ausgepicht site profile image

8/10/12 10:29 PM by ausgepicht

Member Since: 2/27/12

tsunaminw site profile image

8/10/12 6:02 PM by tsunaminw

came to box, got grappled.Varner never takes responsibility for his performance, and it may be one reason why he hasnt grown or become a fan favorite at least for heart. Hes a whiner, an excuse maker, and as unlikable as koscheck

THP site profile image

8/10/12 4:49 PM by THP

MMA fans crave a tizzy. Varner is just stating the obvious, which is that he fights to entertain both the fans and his opponent. What if Varner had fought Lauzon as Stout fought Lauzon? He probably could've won the decision. Thank god that BOTH Joe Lauzon and Jamie Varner NEVER fight like a Sam Stout or Clay Guida. Joe could EASILY say the same thing as Jamie and he has made similar comments, not about a specific fight, but of the overall attitude of the division and how his fighting style is a much funner one to watch. This is why both these guys earned FOTN, possibly FOTY. They both went out there and fought their asses off.

Sketchd site profile image

8/10/12 4:42 PM by Sketchd

lol what? joe has good boxing

Boptrotme4u site profile image

8/10/12 4:41 PM by Boptrotme4u

I agree with VarnerIf they were to fight another ten times Jamie would win with stand up aloneJoe has awful hands

ausgepicht site profile image

8/10/12 4:20 PM by ausgepicht

I'm not really a Varner fan, but he's probably right. He's saying he could have beat Joe with the jab and run tactice used by Bisping against dangerous opponents, not say he WOULD HAVE, just that he could have.

bhealthy site profile image

8/10/12 4:11 PM by bhealthy

TTT for entertainers that want to entertain the people that pay to see them.

MarcusRenatoBlackBelt site profile image

8/10/12 2:09 PM by MarcusRenatoBlackBelt

Jsmie Varner is totally right, I understand his point , so much butthurt in this thread

French Fries Malone site profile image

8/10/12 1:27 PM by French Fries Malone

New fan #1

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!