Cormier: If I beat Mir, I should get a title shot

by Heidi Fang | source: mmafightcorner.com

“I would like it to be for the Strikeforce Championship because I’d like to actually put that  belt on my mantle too – if I’m lucky enough to beat Frank and retire as the last Strikeforce Champion. I think it should be for the Strikeforce Heavyweight Title. If they find it within themselves to make it for the belt, I’d be very pleased.”

Daniel added that when he does enter the UFC, his name should be near the top of the list for title contenders.”I want to throw my name into the hat, if I’m able to get past Frank Mir,” he said. Then he made sure to remind the UFC brass that he’s on his way to come make some noise in the organization. “Hey guys don’t forget about me over here. I’ve been chuggin along and if I get through this fight, that’s three top ten guys in a row. I should be in line for a belt. I should get a shot at either of those divisions.”

If Cain does beat JDS and ends up holding the heavyweight title, Daniel said he’d like to fight Jon Jones at light heavyweight, or in a super fight, depending on the circumstances. “A lot of it depends on the Cain situation,” Cormier said of the possibility he drops to fight at 205 and gets a title fight against Jon Jones. “Standing across the cage from that guy would be great for me. I’d love to do at some point in my career. Even if I am maybe the heavyweight champion and there’s a chance to make a super fight, we could figure something out him and I, because I would not back down from that opportunity.”

Shock Doctor Mouthguard Case

Shock Doctor Mouthguard Case

Shock Doctor Ultra Boxer Length Compression Short with Ultra Carbon Flex Cup

Shock Doctor Ultra Boxer Length Compression Short with Ultra Carbon Flex Cup

cheesesteak site profile image

8/14/12 9:09 AM by cheesesteak

No No No. Mir does not equal a title shot

Dong Johnson site profile image

8/14/12 4:28 AM by Dong Johnson

Mir actually beat Crocop and Nog. Barnett has always been a mental midget.

orcus site profile image

8/14/12 4:21 AM by orcus

"You know he may just be listening to the hype a little to much. I love watching him fight and i think he is a very special rare talent, however Mir is no joke and is a big big test."Mir might be more of a sub threat if he could get a takedown, but otherwise he is worse at everything than Barnett. How is Mir more of a test?

Rickson's Aura site profile image

8/14/12 2:39 AM by Rickson's Aura

Rashad is an undersized LHW and went 5 rounds with Jones. Add more size and strength to Rashad and you get Daniel Cormier. Daniel lifted a 240-250lb Josh Barnett and dumped him on the mat. Cormier showed toughness against a veteran. Taking into account how Rashad did and Cormier's power, chin, and wrestling skill I'd say he has a good chance against Jones.

ShaqNoob site profile image

8/14/12 2:07 AM by ShaqNoob

He could/should have gotten a title shot after winning the HW GP. Just had to do this one more fight at SF.

Dong Johnson site profile image

8/14/12 1:49 AM by Dong Johnson

Barnett is definitely a gatekeeper. Who has he beat in the top 10? On top of all this, he's been caught on roids 4 times.  Have you noticed roided athletes usually come back flat after being caught before?  Barnett could've been off of it.  He is not the same Barnett that was roided to the gills in Pride.  Even then he was a third tier HW.  He could never get by Crocop.

Farewell Brock site profile image

8/14/12 1:47 AM by Farewell Brock

Would love to see another big fight between the champion of the A league fighting the champion of the b league. It's worked out so well for strikeforce thus far.

Vulva Fabulous site profile image

8/14/12 12:47 AM by Vulva Fabulous

You have to be trolling.  Is Barnett a gatekeeper now?   Forget it, I see your join date.

MarcusRenatoBlackBelt site profile image

8/13/12 11:49 PM by MarcusRenatoBlackBelt

How does a champion get a titleshot WTF

stonepony site profile image

8/13/12 9:41 PM by stonepony

That's insane, if true. What was the HW SF tournament for then? DC did a lot more in SF than Overoids did.