At Strikeforce: Rousey vs. Kaufman, prelim card fight between Keith Berry and Adlan Amagov was stopped at 0:48 of the first round, when Amagov side kicked Berry in the knee and followed up with strikes.
A highly respectful but adamant Berry came on The Underground, and made the case that the stoppage was premature, and that the critical kick was illegal under the interpretation of the Unified Rules that is in force in California:
§ 522. Fouls.
(a) Fouls in kickboxing and martial arts. The following tactics are fouls in both kickboxing and martial arts and are forbidden. Use of these tactics shall result in a warning and loss of points as determined by the referee.
(2) Striking downward using point of the elbow.
(3) Openhand attacks to the eyes or throat or eye gouging.
(4) Striking at that part of the body over the kidney or spine or chopping or striking the back of theneck or head.
(5) Spitting, or, in the referee's discretion, slapping.
(6) The use of abusive language in the ring.
(7) Any unsportsmanlike trick or action that causes any injury to an opponent or referee.
(8) Attacking on the break.
(9) Attacking after the bell or gong has sounded ending the round, or when the opponent is out of the ring.
(10) Intentionally pushing, shoving or wrestling an opponent out of the ring with any part of the body. (11) Linear kicks to the front or side of the knees.
(12) Continuous dropping of mouthpiece.
(13) Intentional evasion of contact.
(14) Hair pulling.
(15) Attacking or obstructing the trachea.
(16) Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh or grabbing the clavicle.
(17) Pulling or holding uniform below hipline.
(18) Holding ropes or fence.
(19) Small joint manipulation (e.g. twisting of fingers or toes).
(20) Groin attacks.
(21) Fish hooks.
A lot of people are messaging me on twitter (@kokid951) and Facebook about my fight Keith Berry vs Adlan Amagov.
First I'm so sorry about the outcome. I wanted to slug it out and have a good fight. I finally got a fight with a great striker at my natural weight class (185).
I came out circling and feeling him out so it threw him off. I was then hit with a sidekick to the knee which hyperextended my knee pretty bad causing me to do a weird back roll. But I was totally fine and was trying to work back up. The whole time Herb was concerned I blew my knee and asked me to say if I'm ok and I was trying to say yes and he kept asking me so I yelled while being punched at "I'm Fine!" and tried to do a thumbs up.
Then the fight was stopped, I thought he was going to separate us and take a point cuz of the kick but he called the fight. It was just a miscommunication with me and Herb.
He's been such a great Rref to me in the past so I know this wasn't like him. But also people have been asking about the knee strike and it being legal or not. And I know it's not legal but not illegal in Nevada, but in California we aren't allowed to wear knee pads at all so any strikes directly at the knee is illegal completely. And the stoppage was very bad because I was only touched by one grazing shot.
I would have never verbally submitted even if my knee was blown out so sorry again and I'm working on getting it overturned by the Commission for the illegal strike and bad stoppage because of miscommunication.
Sorry again to everyone who wanted to see a good fight
Thanks guys it's just a bad feeling when you get a call like that! If anyone has the video please post it so everyone can see what I'm talking about. If you look at the punches thrown and look at me I was blocking and dodging them while talking to Herb lol it was hard to multitask but I was never hurt I hardly got hit!
I do want a rematch and it overturned as well, we will see what happens. Sean Shelby is a awesome guy and stuck to his word in giving me that fight so I hope he will get us a rematch ... Adlan is a great fighter and nice guy but he's from Russia and doesn't speak too much English I'm not sure he even knows it was illegal. But I know you can't strike directly at the knee at all. You can hit above or below it but not directly at the knee cap. All refs say it in all rules meetings at every CSAC sanctioned fight
“This is the official website of the Mixed Martial Arts llc. Commercial
reproduction, distribution or transmission of any part or parts of this website
or any information contained therein by any means whatsoever without the prior
written permission is not permitted.”