Frank Shamrock: Dana White is bringing MMA down

source: bjpenn.com

Frank Shamrock recently appeared on BJPenn.Com Radio and covered a wide variety of topics, including Dana White, Jon Jones, and the UFC 151 cancellation.

White and Shamrock have engaged in a long and public feud, quotes from which form an encyclopedia of insults. Is there any chance of reconcilliation?

“I don’t see that being a possibility," said Shamrock. "I say that because I knew Dana before he bought the UFC. I knew what he was like and they made promises that things were going to be different and I didn’t sign with them. That made me a mortal enemy because I refused to sign with them. I have no intentions of going with those people who misled and tried everything to end my career.”

There will be little surprise to hear that Shamrock comes down firmly on the Jones' camp side of the UFC 151 cancellation.

“I don’t know if Jones made the right decision or not, but I liked the decision,” said Shamrock. “I personally don’t like Dana so I like that he stood up to him. Dana is just a big bully and a blow hard. It’s sad to see someone of Jones’ stature brought down by the President of the company. He was basically laid out and destroyed because he didn’t take one for the team. I feel bad for the fans, but fighting is fighting.”

“I definitely think it’ll be a negative factor in the long run. I mean these are our sport's heroes, guys we want our children to emulate. You got a guy like Dana who doesn’t care about the talent or the fans. He puts himself, his ego and his desire to make money in front of everything.

"He’s destroying Jones’ brand in the process, it’s not Jon’s responsibility to save the card. Dana White has $100 million, why didn’t he pay the fans back or the fighter’s salaries? Jones made a decision that was right for his family; it has nothing to do with the billion dollars the Fertittas are sitting on. It’s ridiculous in my opinion, the whole sport is ridiculous."

"MMA is being promoted as something cool to do on television,” Shamrock continued. “It’s not being promoted as the martial arts lifestyle and something that can enrich and better your life. It’s being promoted with hot chicks and guys with tattoos beating the heck out of each other in a cage. That’s cool and all, but there are a lot of shortcomings to that.

"I don’t want my family to see that, I don’t want them to hear Dana dropping F-Bombs. The guy who has made himself the star of MMA is the biggest douche bag and loudmouth on the planet and he’s bringing the entire industry down. If there’s no reason for us to be beating each other up than money then we should probably be doing something else. For me it was about surviving, helping people and sharing my knowledge. I don’t think Dana has that going for him, he’s not a martial artist!”

One thing Shamrock is positive about is Daniel Cormier.

“If there’s anyone that can beat Jones, Cormier definitely stands a chance,” said Shamrock. “Jones has the really crazy reach, it’s really scary. Cormier would be a major test for Jones because of his wrestling and how confident he is in the cage. The guy is an Olympian and he’s been through it all, but I also think he can do it all as heavyweight.”

Read entire article...
Listen to entire interview...

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

UFC Fine Gauge Jacquard Beanie

UFC Fine Gauge Jacquard Beanie

joker271 site profile image

9/15/12 11:19 AM by joker271

yes that was Frank Shamrock calling from 'wanting to stay relevant.' Coming up next its soul-finger by the bar-kays!

Chappie site profile image

9/15/12 4:03 AM by Chappie

Well said.

punchyone site profile image

9/15/12 1:08 AM by punchyone

How does throwing your champion under a bus help mma? Because he wouldn't take a ridiculous fight on 8 days notice? I also find it hard to believe that Hendo knew 3 weeks prior and suddenly Chael is a twitter join on JBJ. But Dana had no clue? If that was the case, 99% of all vitriol should have been aimed at Hendo for not being upfront WAY sooner.. Sonnen-JBJ is by all accounts a stupid matchup, does nothing to promote mma, other than saving a thin event. Fact of the matter is the UFC is overextended, and needs to reign in the amount of PPV, and gain new viewers with free fx, or fox fights. Maybe in a few years they would have enough relevant stars to pick the pace back up. I appreciate DFW, and all that he has done to build the sport, I really do. But shitting on the athletes that helped and continue to grow mma, is wrong.

Pilot201 site profile image

9/15/12 12:57 AM by Pilot201

Frank is now, and ALWAYS has been a pathetic twat. Met him a dozen times, most notably when ZUFFA first took over the UFC. He showed up uninvited to the press conference at the ESPN Zone in NYC. It was the announcement of it being back on TV. He tried to go in there and steal interview time from ZUFFA rostered fighters and walk around like he was in the "club". I believe he was asked to leave because he left abruptly and wasn't very happy. I was with forum member Droc and Semmy Schilt when it happened. Semmy and I looked at each other and made the "oh shit" face as Frank was walked out by a couple of suits.

RyannVonDoom site profile image

9/15/12 12:35 AM by RyannVonDoom

Watching the ultimate fighter... Dana is shittin on people for "boring" fights.. Lol

Wasa-B site profile image

9/15/12 12:31 AM by Wasa-B

"Red Stuff - Dana's success in promoting mma does not make him immune to criticism.These aren't two sides that you have to choose who to root for."Yup.

Wasa-B site profile image

9/15/12 12:31 AM by Wasa-B

What does that even matter at all?

te reo M?ori TeHuna site profile image

9/15/12 12:14 AM by te reo M?ori TeHuna

Frank would kick Danas ass, that's all that matters.

Megatherium site profile image

9/14/12 10:43 PM by Megatherium

Time to replace Dana White with a new pitchman, it's getting stale. Bring on Vince Offer (ShamWow!,Slap Chop, Schticky), he'll breath new life into the franchise and he won't shit on the greatest fighters in the sport doing it!

MMA apparel and training equipment
MMA clothing and gear