Cub Swanson: It is bull that Greg Jackson doesn't teach fighting to finish

by Kelsey Mowatt | source: fcfighter.com

While Cub Swanson will be gunning for his third consecutive win and a spot in the title shot mix against prospect Charles Oliveira at UFC 152, the established vet will also be looking to impress for his Jackson’s MMA squad. Of course, due to the well documented circumstances that prompted the cancellation of UFC 151, Swanson’s trainer Greg Jackson and his teammate Jon Jones have come under fire heading into the event.

“It seems like people sometimes take unfair shots at us and our gym,” said the 28 year-old Swanson, when asked if the criticisms that have been launched at Jones and the Jackson Team have provided extra motivation. “All it does is piss us off. It seems like all the talking that’s done takes place outside the gym. When we’re here we just train.”

“I’m excited that Jon’s on the card. Even if if it would have knocked me out of the main card, I would have been bummed out, but Jon’s a hell of a champion and a good person.

“I stand by him and I’m glad that I’m still on the main card fighting alongside him. It’s an honor for me. I’m excited to be with my teammates on such an awesome card.”

“I’ve been here over three years and he’s (Jackson) never ever told me to cruise it. He’s never said to try and last. It’s always been about finishing fights, train harder and push it. He’s never said to play it safe.”

“This is a guy, that when I was in the WEC, I broke my hand a week before the fight, and he asked ‘do you want to fight?’ When I said ‘yeah’, he said ‘alright, let’s do i. Didn’t try to talk me out of it. He supported me 100 %. He told me that if I didn’t throw that broken hand right away that he would be pissed at me; that he wanted me to go after the guy right away.”

“He didn’t want me going in there fighting dumb, scared and injured. That’s the kind of guy he is; so for people to say he’s the type of person to say play it safe, is bull. He’s a fight coach, and when it comes down to it, he wants us to fight. He wants us to finish.”

Read entire article...

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

Century CREED MMA Training Glove

Century CREED MMA Training Glove

tags: UFC   Greg Jackson

NotImpressedByYourScreenName site profile image

9/27/12 6:13 PM by NotImpressedByYourScreenName

Um, his fighters don't always win, despite the win at any cost (including losing your fans) strategy.Guida will never be seen the same way again and lost the fight. Condit got the decision but same thing, will never be viewed the same again.My biggest problem with Jackson is he lacks confidence in his fighters and makes them doubt there abilities. Like when Condit said in the post fight presser that if he hadn't employers that gameplan against Disz he definitely would have lost. That's horseshit. I'm a huge Diaz fan but Condit could have definitely won that fight employing his usual style - when has that ever failed him in the past? But no, Greg basically convinced him that Diaz was the better fighter and that he had to run and point fight. That's the biggest problem with Jackson - he doesn't empower his fighters, he enslaves them.Oh and he's a weasel faced, lying, sneaky, fame locking cock.

holly9000 site profile image

9/27/12 5:57 PM by holly9000

That's because many MMA fans have been fans a long time. Long before the UFC or Greg Jackson came along. We've seen the sport change for better and for worse, for richer and for poorer, and we've been there all along the way. Our heroes and legends have EARNED their status. Our derision or "hate" as some like to call it is founded in reality and reason. It's not (or at least it shouldn't be) a gut reaction to 1 bad call or fighter having a crappy night. I have no hatred for anyone in this sport. This is the golden age of MMA folks, we should be thankful we have so much to complain about.That said, I can't stand the whole "gamplanning", "pointfighting" thing that's happening these days. I don't hate Greg Jackson, I understand his role. I do not, however, care to pay for his brand of MMA. I would hope that in the future some system is instituted wherein fighters who avoid action or stall will be penalized, but until that happens, I'll continue to cast my vote with my wallet.

cheesesteak site profile image

9/27/12 4:38 PM by cheesesteak

Yay your back!

DamnSevern site profile image

9/27/12 2:21 PM by DamnSevern

Jones, Swanson, Noke    my god these boring jackson fighters ruining mma

BUFFGEO site profile image

9/20/12 12:49 AM by BUFFGEO

How can you people understand that his job is to "get fighters a W" but then bitch about the gameplan???Does his fighters WIN???.... YES.... well, then, the fuckin gameplan was right then wasnt it!!!!

cheesesteak site profile image

9/19/12 10:16 PM by cheesesteak

You just put that in a very intelligent way. I was just going to come on here and say my usual I hate that weasel faced bastard bit, till I saw your post!

Sal Penis site profile image

9/19/12 10:11 PM by Sal Penis

If Aldo were to join Jacksons gym, Cub would be singing a different tune.

OnlyTheStrongSurvive site profile image

9/19/12 10:03 PM by OnlyTheStrongSurvive

Just hope a better featherweight doesn't show up at Jackson's, Cub.

THP site profile image

9/19/12 9:54 PM by THP

When is he going to address the cub swanson haters? Because there is a lot of them.

Authority Figure site profile image

9/19/12 9:46 PM by Authority Figure

Once the "fans" decide they hate someone there is very little they can do to change that. We may be the most judgmental and unforgiving of all sports fans.