Weidman: Anderson Silva is ducking me

by John Morgan | source: mmajunkie.com

"I just feel like some way or another, Anderson Silva is not fighting me," Weidman told MMAjunkie.com. "I honestly don't feel like it's going to happen."

"He can downplay me all he wants," Weidman said. "He can say whatever he wants about me, but I beat two top-5 guys in the world. Nobody has ever done that in the history of the UFC. Now I'm set to fight Dec. 29 agains Timt Boetsch, and that's going to be three top-5 guys in a row if I'm able to beat him. There's no one that's ever done that.

"I took a lot of risks to get where I am this short into my career. It's not like I just got here magically. I beat some good guys. I put myself in short-notice fights against top guys in the world. It's not easy, and I was hoping it would pay off and get my shot against Anderson, but he's ducking me."

"I know I can beat Anderson," Weidman said. "I got into this sport, and he was the champion at 185 pounds. He looked just as impressive then as he does now. I got into this sport knowing I could beat him from day one. I think I'm a terrible, terrible matchup for him. I think everybody knows it.

"I'm not getting my hopes up. I got my hopes up when they offered him the fight and they decided he wanted to wait until 2013 and not fight me. I'm just focused on Tim Boetsch on Dec. 29, and whatever Anderson Silva is going to do, he's going to do. I just hope the stars align and he accepts the fight when the time comes."

Elevation Training Mask 2.0 Matrix Sleeve

Elevation Training Mask 2.0 Matrix Sleeve

War Wrap Ez Rip Sports Tape

War Wrap Ez Rip Sports Tape

squirrel516 site profile image

10/17/12 11:16 AM by squirrel516

Weidman believes he can beat Silva. It's been his goal since he joined the UFC. He is doing what a contender should do, which is try to get a fight with the champ. The fact that Anderson Silva trains in the Matrix should concern Weidman, but it doesn't. He acknowledges how good Silva is, but that doesn't worry him. He's a fighter. A real fighter.Along the way he will continue to fight whoever the UFC asks him to fight as he hopes to get the call to fight Silva. Whoever said Chris Weidman ducked Vitor Belfort is mistaken. Chris had been announced as the #1 contender by Dana White. He thought he was getting the next shot. Then he even offered to take the fight against Jon Jones on super short notice, even though it was above his weight class. When none of that worked out, he went for surgery to correct a nagging elbow problem. Fighting Belfort was never an option given him during that time. If the UFC asks him to fight Belfort after Boetsch, he will. Fans usually like fighters who are ready and willing to fight anyone under any circumstances. The same kind of fighter DFW always looks for. Chris Weidman is that kind of guy. He's proven it with 3 short notice fights in the UFC. He proves it constantly as he attempts to fight Silva.I like fighters like that. I hope he gets to fight Anderson soon.

Stephen Holder site profile image

10/16/12 2:50 PM by Stephen Holder

I definitely agree that Weidman needs a few more impressive wins against top middleweights before expecting a shot at the strap. The thing is if Anderson is now saying he wants to fight GSP and then maybe only a few times after that I'm not so sure I blame Weidman for mouthing off (esp. of Silva is saying the fight will never happen.) Actually, everyone at 185 should desperately be trying to get a fight with Silva by whatever means they can because once hes gone and he vacates his belt the legitimacy of the 185 champion thereafter will be questioned and that stigma will linger for a long time.

bhealthy site profile image

10/16/12 2:04 PM by bhealthy

WEIDMAN NEEDS TO WORRY ABOUT MOUSOASI AND FRANKLIN, BELFORT

InspiritMick site profile image

10/16/12 12:43 PM by InspiritMick

This. Anderson is almost retired and has earned the right to do what he wants. Hopefully that means a couple of super fights

UGCTT_Winnson site profile image

10/16/12 12:33 PM by UGCTT_Winnson

Weidman's a beast and could give AS a super really bad time.Why in the world would AS want this no money fight though? He wants to fight big names for big money. Weidman has a chance, but still has to make a name for himself. One or 2 more fights.

Rival School site profile image

10/16/12 12:27 PM by Rival School

Hahaha so true

sjameson6969 site profile image

10/16/12 12:04 PM by sjameson6969

I think Bisping would certainly beat him, everyone is all over him after that Munoz fight, Munoz looked awful in that fight! Totally out of shape, is everyone is forgetting the Maia fight????

ssj site profile image

10/16/12 11:54 AM by ssj

I think Belfort Bisping and Belcher are all fighters above Weidman and could probably derail his title ambitionsimo

ender852 site profile image

10/15/12 10:41 PM by ender852

Weidman's top 5 middleweight rankings:1. Anderson Silva2. Tim Boetsch3. Chris Weidman4. Mark Munoz5. Demian Maiarolls eyes

Jaybrone site profile image

10/15/12 8:38 PM by Jaybrone

I like Weidman's desire for this fight but he needs to worry less about Anderson and focus on the guy in front of him who is a legit threat.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!