Teixeira: Maldonado fight stopped early

source: sportv.globo.com

At UFC 153 Glover Teixeira hit Fabio Maldonado so hard so often that fans of both fighters wanted it stopped. Mercifully, a cageside physician stopped it after the second round, against Maldonado's wishes. In an interview with OGlobo's SporTV, Teixeira said he also thought the fight should not have been stopped.

"It was a great fight. I knew that Maldonado was a tough guy, very hard. I was even surprised that he fall early in the first, but then I was also surprised he lasted so long and continued fighting on the ground... He's a guy I like, who I did not want to hurt either.

"I did not think the judges should have stopped it, it is difficult to say. I saw that he was hurt, a few times I saw the white of his eyes, but at all times he was fighting back, so he was not out."

Read entire article... (original Portuguese)

Maldonado recovered from the fight in a hospital bed.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Submission BJJ Belt

Submission BJJ Belt

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Rashad Evans Action Figure

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Rashad Evans Action Figure

UGCTT_buchu8oolong site profile image

10/18/12 12:01 AM by UGCTT_buchu8oolong

Voted up.Jesus, WTF is with people going ape shit with the down votes?

Jweinberg site profile image

10/17/12 11:48 PM by Jweinberg

haha!

Roy Batty site profile image

10/17/12 5:26 AM by Roy Batty

I'm glad Glover's a fighter and not a ref! The sport would be back underground after the first show he officiated.

DoomFarmer site profile image

10/17/12 3:55 AM by DoomFarmer

No prob, man.I actually was out of line by being so dismissive about it in the first place, I probably owe that other guy an apology.I was watching the fight with a buddy who overlooked the brutality dished out by Glover and all he could seem to talk about was that shot Maldanado hit Glover with and about how Glover was "almost knocked out", that coupled with Rogan's enthusiasm and the confident claims that Rampage will KO Glover with a left hook due to Glovers momentary lapse in that fight have just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Jweinberg site profile image

10/17/12 1:04 AM by Jweinberg

please tell me he didn't get cut.. I thought I saw a headline saying he did..  thx in advance.

OnlyTheStrongSurvive site profile image

10/17/12 12:45 AM by OnlyTheStrongSurvive

I'd agree with that, he was standing on one foot and had his hands at his waist it landed. Reminded him it's still a fight

145er site profile image

10/17/12 12:42 AM by 145er

Glover is the man!! Needs to stay protected at all times tho!!

sgotwalks site profile image

10/17/12 12:40 AM by sgotwalks

Alright, I digress on the tone. Lots of Yahoos out tonight with this Chael thing which has everybody all fired up, so I am blurring the lines with who may be civil and who is worthy of one of my juvenile verbal assaults.  However, I do not think it was blown out of proportion whatsoever. He got tagged right on the chin with a technically sound left hook from a solid boxer with KO power. Lets not forget, this guy knocked out 21 of 22 professional boxers in his former career, and regardless of the level of these fighters, that is an impressive feat. That wobble was not a result of a balance issue no matter what Glover has fooled himself into thinking. He was pulling back at the time and I think that is what saved him as it took away from some of the impact, so when he says he wasn't hurt, I believe him, but he was wobbled nonetheless, and sometimes the difference between a flash wobbling and a put you on your ass crushing left hook is a very, very small movement in the right direction. Maldonado was more than capable of catching him with a big shot, but he was too busy getting his ass beat most of the time to get off with his feet planted. All it takes is one though, and I have my doubts after what I saw that Texiera would have taken it as well as Maldonado did. Anyways, a vote up for you for responding with more dignity than I showed you.

Rahjai site profile image

10/17/12 12:38 AM by Rahjai

Glover trolling hard on this one