White: Jones/Sonnen not just to boost TUF ratings

by Kevin Iole | source: yahoo.com

Now, with Jones unable to go until April and thus, not available to fight Henderson on Feb. 2, White had to adjust. The irony of the situation is that if Jones had taken the fight against Sonnen at UFC 151 when it was offered, he likely wouldn't have injured his arm and wouldn't be hurt now.

"This wasn't where I was going," White said. "But when this happened and Jones was going to be out for so long, it made sense. I understand completely [about Sonnen not having won a fight at light heavyweight], but it's a fight people want to see."

White, though, insisted he was not asked by Fox officials to put Jones and Sonnen on the show and that it wasn't done as a means to boost ratings. He said the show is doing what it is supposed to do.

"That's what the word is, that TUF needs the help?" White asked in response to a question whether the decision was driven by a desire to give the show a boost. "People love to speculate and talk [expletive], but the truth of it is, they don't know what the [expletive] they're talking about. I have all the answers. The Internet does not. We built this company and we know what we're doing. That had nothing to do with it."

UFC Elite Series Open Face Headgear

UFC Elite Series Open Face Headgear

UFC Fine Gauge Jacquard Beanie

UFC Fine Gauge Jacquard Beanie

TheJudge site profile image

10/18/12 2:20 PM by TheJudge

ugh, what an awful choice. a man with no charisma and a man with only charisma. Won't watch the season or the fight.

WallaWalla site profile image

10/18/12 1:25 PM by WallaWalla

Insert didn't watch gif here.... "it's not only for the ratings, but this also will pad my pocket book even more!"

buckshot44 site profile image

10/18/12 1:03 PM by buckshot44

TUF may be in a ratings slump, but I still haven't missed an episode.. ever.

ssj site profile image

10/18/12 1:02 PM by ssj

"Chael Sonnen makes no sense. I know that it sounds fun 'YEAH! Throw Chael Sonnen in there!' But if you really look at the thing, Chael Sonnen just lost to Anderson Silva. You know what I mean? ... at 185 so that gives him the opportunity to move up to 205 and fight a top pound-for-pound fighter in Bones? In what f*cking universe does that make sense? I can tell you this, not theoretically, Sonnen and Jones won't happen."

TARRat site profile image

10/18/12 12:50 PM by TARRat

As far as my overall lack of interest in TUF goes, I'm basically sick of so many guys acting like (or just being?) douchebags to get attention. That, and it seems like very few fighters have the cardio that they should have. 2nd round? Gassed.

Big Pun site profile image

10/18/12 12:37 PM by Big Pun

I'm a hardcore fan, but my interest in TUF waned long ago. I can't really put my finger on why. I think it has to do with a couple different reasons. I don't believe about half of the guys on the show are even close to UFc caliber is part of my problem. Then they are thrown in with coaches and teams outside their own true coaches and teams. I just don't feel like I am seeing the real fighter unless he is doing his regular prep. I can live without all the drama, but sometimes it is the only interesting part so it's a catch 22. I was excited about live fights, but for whatever reason that was kind of stagnant as well. I will say I am glad they are constantly trying to find something new and progress the product. I will have to start flipping over and checking it out again or at least catching it on my DVR so they get credit for a viewer. I wish I knew why I got disinterested in TUF, but I really don't know. Alot of others are in the same boat with me.

TARRat site profile image

10/18/12 9:26 AM by TARRat

WikiTheWalrus? VTFUYes, a big part was DEFINITELY the guys hosting UFC parties. That's how I got into it. A buddy of mine hosted the one - I don't remember the # - where Mark Coleman made his debut and won the tournament. I didn't become a hardcore fan right after that - I don't know that I'd call myself one, now - but I was definitely a fan.Let's see... FX is moving the day (and maybe the time) of TUF, and LHW Champ JBJ and Mr. Mouth (for no discernible reason other than people tend to be interested in what comes out of said mouth) have been cast as coaches. Nah... This isn't about ratings and saving TUF at all... smh

PointyShinyBurn site profile image

10/18/12 6:37 AM by PointyShinyBurn

The 'cost' to the network is that there are probably several things they could put in that slot that would draw many more viewers.The opportunity cost of using up the air time is the major concern, not the production costs.

PointyShinyBurn site profile image