Kampmann: Win over Hendricks should make me number one contender

source: sherdog.com

“If I win this fight, I am the No. 1 contender,” Kampmann told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “ No doubt. Nobody’s got the same resume I do in the UFC in the welterweight division. I’ve beaten the best guys. There’s no other welterweight that’s coming on the same streak that I have.”

Kampmann has won three straight since dropping controversial decisions to Jake Shields and Diego Sanchez. This year he has finished both Thiago Alves and Jake Ellenberger.

“There’s other guys coming up with a bunch of hype behind them, but really who have they fought? They haven’t fought anybody tough,” Kampmann said. “They haven’t fought anybody good, but they’re getting the hype train behind them. Look at the guys I’ve fought and compare that to anybody in the welterweight division. I’ve fought some of the best guys in the division.”

“I want to put it in my own hands,” he said, “and the way I’m going to put it in my own hands is by knocking out Johny Hendricks.”

Venum Electron 2.0 Vale Tudo Shorts

Venum Electron 2.0 Vale Tudo Shorts

Venum Venum Tribal Boxing Gloves - Nappa Leather

Venum Venum Tribal Boxing Gloves - Nappa Leather

knuckleballs site profile image

10/23/12 1:28 PM by knuckleballs

I think Chael should get it.

Cann site profile image

10/23/12 1:06 PM by Cann

<blockquote>OnlyTheStrongSurvive - <blockquote>Cann - Chris Weidman is saddened by this thread. Kidding aside, Kampmann is the true #1 contender either him or Diaz if Kampmann wins this fight.</blockquote>You can't compare Weidman's resume to Kampmann's imo. He has wins over Carlos Condit, Paulo Thiago, Rick Story, and Jake Ellenberger. Add Diego to that as it's pretty obvious he deserved the win, and just barely lost to Shields. There isn't a contender in any division with a resume like his.</blockquote>I agree, his resume is no where near what Kampmann's is. I was surprised a few months ago Weidman really thought he was getting the shot, but I didn't think he earned it yet. Edit: Oops, two different weight classes, I forgot Kampmann dropped to 170. Nevermind! sigh.

OnlyTheStrongSurvive site profile image

10/23/12 1:01 PM by OnlyTheStrongSurvive

Fly Rodder site profile image

10/23/12 1:00 PM by Fly Rodder

Kampmann is one of my favorite guys to watch fight, though, at times, he does some dumb shit in the cage that makes me shake my head. Strong hands, good-to-great ground work.The loss to Diego was bullshit.

Cann site profile image

10/23/12 12:54 PM by Cann

Gokudamus stole my name site profile image

10/23/12 9:09 AM by Gokudamus stole my name

Rick Story outwrestled Hendricks. And we saw what Kampmann did to him. Besides Hendricks doesnt want to be on the ground with Kampmann. Shields who is ten times the grappler had problems with him on the groundEither Hendricks lands a big left early and wins or Kampmann will proceed to pick him apart piece by piece.

TARRat site profile image

10/23/12 9:02 AM by TARRat

Can't really argue with the Hitman's logic.If he wins, who else is there? Sanchez? Eh. Diaz? Won't have fought (due to suspension, duh...) in a year. Fitch? Eh.

Macbody site profile image

10/23/12 5:39 AM by Macbody

Truth - or at least a four fight streak.Diego got a lucky decision - and Martin messed up against Shields.However he cleanly lost to Marquard, and that is basically his only untainted defeat.

BIGLuke site profile image

10/23/12 5:21 AM by BIGLuke

No, Kampmann's wrong. Sonnen will get the title shot. Chael will get all the title shots. He skews really well among the 18-34 demographic, and his appearance on UFC Raw garnered a 2.1 share. Fuck sport, this is business.