Roddy Piper: The two things going wrong with MMA

source: fighters.com

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, legendary pro wrestler and namesake for "Rowdy" Ronda Rousey, is a big believer in MMA. His son Colt was an undefeated amateur out of Matt Lindland's Team Quest. But he offers the sport some respectful words on two things that he thinks are going wrong.

"Two things, in my honest opinion." said Piper. "They got guys that are opening up MMA gyms, and just teaching anybody, and if you got a guy that is even half an athlete and practices under good coach for a year, he is going to have some kind of skill. Then that same idiot is getting drunk in a bar, and using those skills. And that's the mistake that has been accidently made."

"The second thing that I think they're doing wrong, and they're doing so much right, I'm really picking here, because I've got great respect for them, is that when they training for a fight they train with no head gear on. The amount of punishment they're taking trying to train for the fight it's killing their longevity. But nobody has a handbook on it, and they're all guys just trying to do the best they can."

Roddy Pipper Whats Wrong with MMA2

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

JAKKS Pacific Series 1 Evan Tanner Action Figure

JAKKS Pacific Series 1 Evan Tanner Action Figure

Hayabusa Tokushu 4oz MMA Gloves

Hayabusa Tokushu 4oz MMA Gloves

tags: Rowdy Roddy Piper   video

RyannVonDooDoo site profile image

11/9/12 1:22 PM by RyannVonDooDoo

Ttt

notsobigmike site profile image

11/9/12 12:34 PM by notsobigmike

The thing is, at most of the legit places I've trained, the faux-tough guys just wanting to learn how to scrap are the first ones to drop.You can teach someone all the best techniques in the world, but actually getting in there are doing it against someone who knows what they're doing is a whole different ball-game.Part of learning martial arts is through live sparring, and no matter who's teaching you, the beginning is going to be an ego check because you're going to be getting owned by dudes right and left.

RyannVonDooDoo site profile image

11/8/12 11:55 PM by RyannVonDooDoo

Owned

PeterIrl site profile image

11/8/12 9:22 PM by PeterIrl

Boxing experience, judo experience, learnt "hooking" of wrestling.Also, They Live.

MarcusRenatoBlackBelt site profile image

11/8/12 9:06 PM by MarcusRenatoBlackBelt

I think UFC has a great passionate and caring fan-base. Everyone on this forum picks on "the Tapout wearing douche" with hair gel.I think that MMA fans are great people. I never had a problem in a crowd, and to the contrary, I get along great when attending events and have good conversations with other fans at bars etc.

JeffersonDArcyChoke site profile image

11/8/12 8:38 PM by JeffersonDArcyChoke

I agree with the whole teaching everyone everything is bad. My first weeks in a boxing gym were to check my ego and why I was there. After that I was told it was so rough because too many guys were coming in and outright saying they wanted to learn "how to fuck someone up". The gym was in a gang area in an inner city so you had good kids with no parents learning boxing and thugs wanting to get their hands good to be better in bar/on street/etc. With MMA, a lot of gyms offer 30 days free and if you are willing to pay you can have access to as many classes as possible and as much potential advancement. I get it though when gyms are a business and there are more mohawked "let me bang bro" guys coming in willing to pay 218 a month but not as many insurance salesmen who just want to respectfully learn the craft and get in shape.

UnderTheClock site profile image

11/8/12 7:30 PM by UnderTheClock

Great guy, but as far as training methods, being coked up for 15-20 years wasn't the best either.

bhealthy site profile image