St-Pierre agrees with criticism, wants to finish more fights

by Marc Raimondi | source: nypost.com

Georges St-Pierre has heard people's gripes that he doesn’t finish enough fights. And one of the best MMA fighters to ever grace the cage isn’t just OK with them.

“I agree with the criticism,” St-Pierre told The Post by phone Wednesday. “I want to do better. I want to give more entertainment to the fans.”

“'Ive been training to jump more on opportunites that are open to me,” St-Pierre said. “I’m still gonna fight my fight, but I’m going to be more opportunistic.”

St-Pierre, 31, says it bothers him that people keep talking about a potential fight between him and pound-for-pound king Anderson Silva. Silva’s camp has repeatedly harped on that fight sometime next year and UFC president Dana White said it is a real possibility if St-Pierre beats Condit.

“I hate that,” St-Pierre said. “They talk to me about the next fight and I’m not there. Like I’m supposed to win easy, like it’s a joke. Carlos Condit is a dangerous guy. I always respect my opponent. My life is on the line.”

Affliction GSP Team St. Pierre Shirt

Affliction GSP Team St. Pierre Shirt

Hayabusa Limited Edition Georges St. Pierre 16oz Gloves

Hayabusa Limited Edition Georges St. Pierre 16oz Gloves

CLINTK9 site profile image

10/26/12 12:19 PM by CLINTK9

I think because Fedor was never palying safe or fighting for a decision or points or just trying to hold top position. not saying GSP doesnt do anything, but Fedor was trying to take those guys heads off at every chance he got. unfortunatly, those 2 were 2 of 3 of the BADDEST HW's/Men on the PLANET at that time!

StratTone site profile image

10/26/12 11:49 AM by StratTone

Oh yeah it was the shields fight. My bad my comments go toward the Shields fight. lol

StratTone site profile image

10/26/12 11:47 AM by StratTone

I agree totally with this. I have never understood the critisim for this fight. If your hurt you have to be safe and use what tools you have based on your injury. GSP has been controling for wins for a while but the KOS fight I understand.

Smith1234 site profile image

10/26/12 8:38 AM by Smith1234

I always wondered why Fedor gets no criticism for not finishing Nog in any of their fights, and not even coming close to finishing Cro Cop. But GSP gets a lot of criticism. Double standard IMO.Both are fighting great fighters and cant always finish. At least GSPs best wins against legit greats (Hughes, Penn) are finishes. Fedors are not.

xXJayRobXx site profile image

10/26/12 3:26 AM by xXJayRobXx

He's gunna need to make a statement in this fight to show that he's back and better then before. Also If he was to fight Anderson next it wouldn't hurt to get a finish against condit just to make the fans believe that the superfight would be a competitive match.

WWETopTeam site profile image

10/26/12 2:51 AM by WWETopTeam

I think Shields won that fight easily , he dictated the fight and out-struck Georgy easily. Since Shields lost to Ellenburger and Ellenburger lost to Kampmann, Kampmann is the Linear Welterweight Champion.

CLINTK9 site profile image

10/25/12 11:18 PM by CLINTK9

why before ufc100? because he was exciting and took more chances? thats all we want from him. not bashing him. be that exciting fighter again. consistant winning is awesome, but if its decision after decison, not so much.

UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up site profile image

10/25/12 9:39 PM by UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up

It should have been stopped if the Dr. felt Kos could not see properly. Kos said he could see, and followed the Dr.'s finger test. The damage could only be seen via X-ray.

Il Duce site profile image

10/25/12 9:24 PM by Il Duce

That fight should have been stopped and the damage later revealed proves it.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!