Women in UFC a huge leap for women's sports?

by Mike Chiappetta | source: mmafighting.com

In short, they have been nothing but fair. They have given the women a fair shake, and that's all that can be asked of them.

At some point soon -- maybe it will take months, maybe a couple of years -- White says he will pull the women to his octagon as his next drawing card. That means the opportunity to potentially make huge money for the few who can break through as headliners. Many have mused about what a Rousey-Cyborg fight would look like on pay-per-view, and with the proper buildup, there's no doubt it would do a huge number, one that could potentially offer each participant a seven-figure payday.

That would be unprecedented in the world of combat sports, and would immediately put both among the highest-paid female athletes in the world.

As of right now, these are only possibilities and conjecture. There is no real timeframe for a move, as all of Zuffa's female fighters are locked into the Strikeforce/Showtime deal. It's also possible that White changes his mind. Or that Rousey fizzles out. Or that something unexpected happens that scuttles the plan to bring women to the UFC.

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

War WMMA

supersonic site profile image

10/31/12 5:49 PM by supersonic

Sure man

SlyStallowned site profile image

10/31/12 4:45 PM by SlyStallowned

^ Bullshit.Once women are allowed to fight in the UFC, it will only be a matter of time until teenage boys all over America will start hanging posters of Roxanne Modafferi and Kelly Kobold on their bedroom ceilings.

supersonic site profile image

10/31/12 4:34 PM by supersonic

I have very low interest in woman's mma although a cyborg Rousy fight I would glady watch Certainly not paying for it however. The only few female sports I believe that have similar interest levels to the public as the mens version is tennis and soccer (USA)The first is a beautiful game and one that lends itself to the finer sex. Couple this with the telegenic qualities which includes many cute and athletic girls in good gear and its a win.National Soccer in the USA also is as popular as men for many of the same reasons as tennis with the addition of the soccer mom demographic. Chicks in corn rows, rash guards , busting each other up isn't going to sell to a large enough market to ever be really sustainable. No matter what the enlightened crowd wants to think

DiscipleDojo site profile image

10/31/12 2:35 PM by DiscipleDojo

You're right, man. I'm throwing in the towel on this one as well. Good to know there are others out there who appreciate true martial arts and recognize top-level skill regardless of whether or not it has a wee-wee.  :)

dangerboy12 site profile image

10/31/12 1:07 PM by dangerboy12

If you don't think men are more athletically talented than women, then you either don't know the definition of talent, or you just want to be PC.For the record, I am not against WMMA at all. I like all MMA. I just don't want to pay for it, just like I don't like paying for men who aren't top level fighters. If a woman can come in there and compete against top level men and succeed, I will be quick to pay to see her fight. There are no rules preventing women from fighting in standard divisions that I am aware of. Hell I've been to grappling tournaments where women competed in men's divisions and did OK. Just like there are no rules prohibiting women from the NFL, NBA, MLB, EPL, etc. Women have to have their own leagues because of a lack physical talent compared to men at the pro level. It has nothing to do with skill. Women can be just as skilled as men. MMA is a sport just like every other when it comes to this, it is no different, it is not apples and oranges. Just look at sports like golf and billiards. Top female golfers have putting and short game stats that rival the top men golfers. They just don't have the driving and long iron abilities men have. Women can compete very closely with men in billiards, they just have a lower breaking average.I think what separates me from a lot of you is the fact that I am a sports fan first, MMA fan second. I look at MMA as a sport, I don't look at it as entertainment. Most women's fights are more entertaining than men's, but that's just not the main reason I watch.I'd bet a lot of you so in favor of WMMA being on PPV rarely watch any other female sports. What makes WMMA different? Why should I care more about WMMA than I do women's tennis?

UGCTT_El Pescadero site profile image

10/30/12 3:58 PM by UGCTT_El Pescadero

Give it up my man... I did a few days ago... Look at his screen name... Your talking to a child. I agree 100% with you and can't believe that anyone in this day n age would claim women are inferior to men... These are the same people who will always struggle with relationships and always make tasteless jokes about a women's place in society! Hahaha they should be in kitchen... Duh... How make octagon a kitchen.. Ah duh... Girls to do the dishes and clean up my room ... Uh duh.... I wan Pooosy but can no gets, mus be women fault, surely not my! Go tell Army Staff Sgt. Jackelyn Walker who competed against a man in the finals of there combat tournament that women are inferior ...Chica is tough as shit and proudly serving our country.... Bet she would really appreciate it! Doesn't matter what anyone thinks WMMA is here and is going to be around for a long time! No big deal if a few so called fans are so turned off that they no longer watch PPv's there will be many more new fans taking there place.

DiscipleDojo site profile image

10/30/12 3:29 PM by DiscipleDojo

"They can have technical striking, great grappling, good defense, know all the techiques etc, but they are slow, weak, have cardio problems, and a glass jaw."   No, this is not a "fact" at all. It's an ill-formed opinion based on lack of firsthand knowledge.

dangerboy12 site profile image

10/30/12 3:22 PM by dangerboy12

Skill and talent are 2 different things. Very different.A person with zero MMA training can have tons of natural MMA talent, but no skill. They can have power, quickness, stamina, chin, etc, but not know how to properly throw a punch or anything about grappling.A person with years of MMA training can have tons of skill, but little to no talent. They can have technical striking, great grappling, good defense, know all the techiques etc, but they are slow, weak, have cardio problems, and a glass jaw.Women as a whole are less talented than men in MMA terms. It's not an opinion. It's a fact.