Sonnen dismisses critics of title shot

by Mike Chiappetta | source: mmafighting.com

"I keep hearing that I talked my way into a fight, and guys, it's true. But the word that I used was 'yes,'" he said on a recent MetroPCS video chat. "When the chance came and they said, 'Do you want to fight?' I said yes. Contrary to what it may look like on TV, [Jones is] pretty darn good, and there's not a lot of guys who want to fight him. And contrary to what the oddsmakers may say, [I'm] pretty good, too, and there's not a lot of guys who want to fight me.

"A lot of guys complain that I got the fight with Jon," he continued. "But not one of those guys said, 'Hey, I want to fight Jon.' Not one of them. And a lot of those guys complain that Jon's fighting me and we're going to be the biggest fight in UFC history, and you're stealing 2013 early. Guys, you didn't call me out? You want to complain that I'm fighting him, but you didn't want to fight me to get to him."

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

TapouT Chael Sonnen UFC 167 Respect Is Earned Shirt

TapouT Chael Sonnen UFC 167 Respect Is Earned Shirt

tags: Chael Sonnen (detail)

jimbonice site profile image

10/31/12 8:18 PM by jimbonice

Sonnen-the definition of lay n pray. I won't pay to watch this fight.

BispingsBritishWrasslin site profile image

10/31/12 7:34 PM by BispingsBritishWrasslin

Rampage said he doesn't want to fight Chael.

KboyFresh site profile image

10/31/12 7:30 PM by KboyFresh

Sonnen has to apologize to no one. He was offered a fight and accepted it. Anyone who has a problem with Sonnen getting a title shot, direct all criticism toward Dana And Lorenzo. UFC belts are meaningless, rankings and contender status are based on ticket sales and pay-per-view buys. I liked Sonnen/Jones to save an event but this is ludicrous. Hendo is getting the shaft. Typical Zuffa.

Bipolar site profile image

10/31/12 7:18 PM by Bipolar

"You want to complain that I'm fighting him, but you didn't want to fight me to get to him."Is Chael starting to believe his own hype of himself? 1) Who turned down a fight with Chael? 2) Why would anyone need to go through Chael to get to Jones? The thing about talking a lot is the more you yap, the more likely it becomes that you'll say something stupid.

Mix6APlix site profile image

10/31/12 7:17 PM by Mix6APlix

Hate to admit it, but Chael has a point.

Warzone209 site profile image

10/31/12 7:07 PM by Warzone209

This is the end of the line for Chael's MMA career. JBJ by hellbow Destruction.

epwar site profile image

10/31/12 6:57 PM by epwar

VTFU for truth!

The Nastyness site profile image

10/31/12 6:40 PM by The Nastyness

Pretty obvious they're making this match up to save TUF from bombing. No way in hell they'll be sticking around on FOX with these numbers, even for a Friday night.They'll be switching nights to a week night this time around I believe, so with that change and adding these two as coaches...we might consistently see double the numbers they're doing now, or more.As far as the fight itself...I could see it going about the same as the Bader fight.

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!