Overeem: I think JDS is afraid of me

by Alfredo Reyes | source: mixfight.nl

The scheduled fight between Alistair Overeem and UFC champion Junior Dos Santos never happened as Overeem notoriously tested positive for elevated testosterone and was suspended from the sport by the Nevada State Athletic Commision for nine months.

Since then, dos Santos has stated numerous times that he doesn't believe Overeem deserves an immediate title shot upon his return from suspension, but that he would love nothing more than to knock him out.

In an extended interview with the ever excellent mixfight.nl, Overeem discussed that, and much more.

Mixfight.nl: Dana White recently said you are still the number one contender so is your next fight against the winner of Cain vs JDS?

Alistair Overeem: I hope so but hopefully everybody understands that there fight at the end of the year and therefore it’s not going to be clear when they are available to fight again. In this sport there are many variables, a lot of things are uncertain so if I can choose between waiting for my turn for the title or fight as soon as possible I would choose to fight as soon as possible, I just want to fight.

MF: JDS said recently that he don’t think you deserve a title shot and the UFC now prioritize fights that will sell well and that you are doing the same as Chael Sonnen and trying to talk you way into a fight.

AO: Well Junior Dos Santos says all kind of things that don’t really make sense. First he begged to Dana White he wanted to fight me, so as a fighter I accept such a challenge right away. Now he’s saying that I don’t deserve a title fight. He has to make up his mind as he’s changing his story all the time. The same stuff he was saying about me going to the school of Chael Sonnen. I never made the fight between us personal and I never bad mouthed him, the only thing I said was that I think he’s afraid of me which I think he still is haha. When I signed with the UFC I could of easily go for the title shot right away but I chose to fight Brock Lesnar so in no means I’m talking myself into a title shot. If the UFC wants me to fight for the title I’m available and if they decide to let me fight someone else first I’m also fine with that. I’m a fighter and I will get my chance sooner or later.

MF: Bigfoot Silva recently told the media that he wants to fight you if you don’t want to wait for the title.

AO: Well if he said that, then that’s great news as I’m open to fight whoever the UFC gives me. Bigfoot is a good fighter and we were supposed to fight each other in the Strikeforce tournament anyway so it’s like unfinished business.

MF: In that interview Bigfoot said he would fight you even if you were created in a lab and that where he’s from their supplement of choice is molasses and their attitude, sounds he’s taking a shot at you.

AO: He can say what he wants, in the end what happens in the cage is what matters.

Read entire interview...

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

No Mas Pride Beanie

No Mas Pride Beanie

Nick Fury site profile image

11/4/12 6:38 AM by Nick Fury

A motivated and angry JDS is a scary thing.

LBH_RN site profile image

11/4/12 4:25 AM by LBH_RN

He's not even remotely close. He's a walking steroid, and nothing more. Roy will beat him. Frank will beat him. Cain, Shane, Stephan. And there are about 5 other names on their way to being added to that list. Overcheats won't be able to keep a UFC contract...Shane has been linked to steroids. Mir admits to using TRT. Keep it real, don't act like Reem is the only guy who's ever cheated. And LOL at Struve or Roy beating him.

Ryan Black site profile image

11/1/12 10:14 PM by Ryan Black

I will postpone my pontifications until he's standing in the cage ready to fight.

HenryO site profile image

11/1/12 8:37 PM by HenryO

NotImpressed is seriously rattled by Overeem

ajl416az site profile image

11/1/12 7:12 PM by ajl416az

LOL @ Overeem's technique being lackingseriously loli'm sure overeem is not scared of some leg heavy boxer who drops his handsand steroids don't increase your chin. if you think fighting heavyweights only takes muscles, shut the fuck up because you're a dumbshit.

hogh20 site profile image

11/1/12 5:12 PM by hogh20

Reem Scared??? He took on Brock in his first UFC fight, finished with only 7 strikes. Begged for JDS. Destroyed Duffee in a prior event. Duffee is no joke. Ragdolled Brett Rogers. A guy who is huge, and Reem threw him around the cage. Scared? I do not understand people who get on forums and say that a fighter is "Scared" of another fighter. Especially when said fighter is rolling through huge and talented competitiors like they are nothing.

RoyMunson site profile image

11/1/12 4:30 PM by RoyMunson

The only thing JDS is scared of is being poor again.

NotImpressedByYourScreenName site profile image

11/1/12 2:35 AM by NotImpressedByYourScreenName

Fightharder, your post suggests that JDS is saying Reem is scared of him. Reminder: it's the other way around!Reem is the one who should keep his mouth shut. He's the one who took steroids. He's the one that got suspended. He's the reason the fight hasn't happened already. So for him to say JDS is scared of him is beyond ridiculous. It's like calling someone from a nuke-proof bunker and saying "come and punch me" then saying theyre scared when they don't.The ONLY reason Reem hasn't had his jaw wired shut by JDS already is because he got himself suspended for taking steroids. JDS did NOTHING to stop that fight from happening.As for Reem taking steroids being ok because "everyone does it", well maybe a lot do but not to the extent that Reem has. By his own admission he has put on 40lbs of muscle and gone from a mediocre LHW to a big HW.If Reem wasn't scared of EVERYONE, including JDS, he wouldn't take that many steroids and hide behind his suit of armour like most steroid heads. He'll get exposed.Final nail in the coffin is that JDS is obviously as clean as a whistle.

UGCTT_mousetrap site profile image

11/1/12 2:20 AM by UGCTT_mousetrap

This

TenOfSwords site profile image

11/1/12 2:10 AM by TenOfSwords

Can't wait for JDS to shut this cheat's mouth once and for all.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!