Rebney: Spike still known as the home of MMA

source: mmajunkie.com

"We haven't based decisions based on wild expectations or wild conjecture," Rebney said. "We've made them based on real numbers."

And also real opinions. Rebney said his promotion has conducted over a dozen focus groups at live events and estimates he's done eight more aimed at getting opinions from television viewers.

"We're consistently doing every type of empirical study that you can do to get a better handle on just who's watching, and not just where they want to watch, but most importantly what they want to watch," he said.

In the past year, MMA programming on Spike TV, including re-aired UFC events and the original talk show "MMA Uncensored," consistently has drawn ratings that match or exceed live UFC programming shown on FOX-owned networks FX and FUEL TV (although the latter is available in less than half the homes of Spike TV).

"It's been almost a year now since there's been any live content on Spike network," he said. "My anticipation is that it will play itself out very nicely because of how the consumer base and the hardcore demographic views Spike as the home of MMA."

Bellator-ceo-says-hardcore-fans-still-associate-mma-with-spike-tv.mma" target="_blank">read entire article...

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Contract Killer CK Long Sleeve Rashguard

Contract Killer CK Long Sleeve Rashguard

RYU Signature Tee LE

RYU Signature Tee LE

tags: Bellator   Spike

PrettyBoy site profile image

11/1/12 7:47 PM by PrettyBoy

Hopefully they put together a better product with better production now. Strikeforce production was better than UFC right before the buyout. If Viacom goes all out for Bellator it could turn into something.

Mit site profile image

11/1/12 6:55 PM by Mit

I only watched a couple shows passingly aside from UFC. I would live to see UFC back on spike.

JeffersonDArcyChoke site profile image

11/1/12 5:22 PM by JeffersonDArcyChoke

There is a big difference between Spike and Fuel. 1. People actually get Spike in their homes. 1. The fight fan demographic is perfect for "Ink Masters", "Bar Rescue" and anything else on Spike. Spike has way more advantages than we wish to acknowledge.

RICKYB site profile image

11/1/12 4:20 PM by RICKYB

Same

Hungry4Stink site profile image

11/1/12 4:19 PM by Hungry4Stink

Being in HD will help. The MTV2 broadcasts looked like shit.

DanasDaddy site profile image

11/1/12 4:03 PM by DanasDaddy

Love great fights no matter what the promotion. I hope Viacom finds a new front man as Rebeney has proven himself to be incompetent many times over. Under his leadership the brand has lost millions & millions forcing the sell to a qualified bidder. Time to find a new man for the job! Best of luck and success to Viacom!

Lessphilling site profile image

11/1/12 9:01 AM by Lessphilling

UFC should get on Apple TV, I'd rather just pay for all their programming. Cancelled traditional cable b/c I just can't afford (nor want) the truckloads of other garbage out there.

Mit site profile image

11/1/12 8:51 AM by Mit

All I know is that the effort I have to go to to watch UFC since it moved from Spike is much greater. I just don't have a cable package that allows me to see it so I have to hit the torrents for TUF and FOX shows.

radiobaby site profile image

11/1/12 8:36 AM by radiobaby

Agree. I don't know anyone who would watch anything simply because it's on spikeTV. I'd watch it on a channel that was just static 24/7 except for the 2 hours they're on a week. Same goes for ufc cable live shows. Frankly I'd prefer that to being smacked in the face by a million commercials aimed at d-bags.

Priest Driven Ambulance site profile image

11/1/12 7:30 AM by Priest Driven Ambulance

I think they will do really great numbers on spike tho. But very true, hardcore fans love any MMA, casuals love the UFC.