Velasquez: dos Santos loss still eating at me

by Shaun Al-Shatti | source: mmafighting.com

It may seem like ages ago now, but in reality less than a year has passed since Velasquez crumpled on the mat under a hailstorm of punches, forfeiting his heavyweight strap to Junior dos Santos in a surprisingly anticlimactic performance on the biggest stage in UFC history. Everyone was expecting something short, violent, and spectacular. But not like that.

"It's been eating at me for a while," Velasquez admitted through clenched teeth at a recent media luncheon. "[The loss] definitely did happen, and it hurt. It sucked. I've been waiting for a while to get revenge back."

"It's just so easy to get hurt in this sport," Velasquez explained. "Whether it be cuts, your joints, bones, everything can mess up at any given time. The way that we train is just so much like a real fight.

"You definitely don't know (who's going to be on the card until fight night). Because guys, we're going to just be in the gym training our butts off, and that's it. We don't worry about getting hurt in the gym. We just don't. We go in, and we just try to get the best workout we can, compete against our teammates, because that's what we're doing. We're always trying to be the best even inside the gym. It's just so easy to get hurt."

Affliction Cain Velasquez UFC 166 Revolutionary Walkout Shirt

Affliction Cain Velasquez UFC 166 Revolutionary Walkout Shirt

Affliction Cain Velasquez Unity Shirt

Affliction Cain Velasquez Unity Shirt

rosario00 site profile image

11/9/12 3:35 PM by rosario00

^^ source for when Klit called JDS's boxing world class?

UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up site profile image

11/8/12 6:23 PM by UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up

I'm not trying to say anything jack ass. I am not the person you quoted. Pay attention.   Chin = ability to take a punch in that context just FYI a.k.a. beard/jaw

Warzone209 site profile image

11/8/12 6:21 PM by Warzone209

It makes no fucking sense since your trying to say he has a suspect chin like Arlovski when he's taking shots behind the ear not the chin...

UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up site profile image

11/8/12 6:07 PM by UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up

"chin" is a figure of speech jack ass.

SOO72 site profile image

11/8/12 6:01 PM by SOO72

Not saying you are wrong.. that said, it's equally amazing how many people are predicting a Cain win based on how he looked against Bigfoot. JDS and Bigfoot aren't even on the same planet so far as speed and athleticism are concerned, and Cain's chin can't take the kind of punishment JDS dishes out.It may go longer than the 1st fight but I still don't think Cain possesses the tools to beat JDS. He won't just sit there floundering like a big clumsy Ox as Bigfoot did, JDS is a completely different class of fighter.

rosario00 site profile image

11/8/12 3:55 PM by rosario00

Cain always comes in "flabby as fuck "

bhealthy site profile image

11/8/12 1:31 PM by bhealthy

CAIN WINS

bigdee1983420 site profile image

11/7/12 8:04 PM by bigdee1983420

If you know fighting you would realize that JDS is a bad match-up for Cain period. Thats not saying Cain is a bad fighter,its just JDS has a huge edge over him. There's a reason why JDS gave him his leg in the first fight. To prove a point,that dude you cann't take me down,but here's my leg to try. JDS is physically strong w/amazing balance/takedownD technique. There's a huge gap in striking/boxing skill level,that Cain cann't match at this time. There's a reason Vitali Klitschko,and David Haye said JDS's hands/boxing are/is world class. He is a Phenom,that has never been seen in HWT MMA as far as Boxing. The only guys imo,that will challenge him are world class strikers like Overeem or Mark Hunt. Not Wrestling base type fighters,because they cann't get him down to implement there game.

DoomFarmer site profile image

11/7/12 7:03 PM by DoomFarmer

Correct.That was one-sided, brutal domination.One doesn't have to be unconcious to be pulverized.Looked like a hog got slaughtered in the middle of the octagon.That was one of the few fights I have watched where the people watching around me were almost cringing.

Warzone209 site profile image

11/7/12 6:45 PM by Warzone209

i never knew the human chin was located behind the ear....an amateur boxer can ko someone easy if he lands behind the ear it rattles ur equilbrium.