Miesha: Rousey didn't have a lot to do with getting WMMA off the ground

source: mmaweekly

Former Strikeforce women’s champ Miesha Tate was recently interviewed by MMAWeekly Radio, and reminded listeners that Ronda Rousey may be the face of Women's MMA today, but she didn't start it.

“It’s not just Ronda, it’s not just myself, that’s for sure," said Tate. "If Ronda’s coming over to the UFC obviously there’s going to be a division around that, it’s not just Ronda. I know Ronda’s getting a lot of the credit and what not, but she didn’t have a lot to do with from the ground up."

“We’re at the top of the mountain now that’s kind of how I feel anyways, with this accomplishment coming into the UFC, we’ve kind of reached that final goal. But we had to start at the bottom and a lot of the pioneers Tara, Marloes, Molly Helsel, the girls that were really fighting back in the day before we were making any kind of money, or there was any kind of publicity, or much acceptance of it.”

“We were fighting for this, right here, right now. She’s getting a lot of the credit and the limelight, but people who follow the sport understand there was a lot more getting to this point. I hope people can recognize that and give all the women that have worked really hard some credit."

“Our rivalry is very real. I know a lot of people don’t believe that Ronda can’t be beaten, that’s she’s just untouchable, but I beg to differ.

“If I do get that rematch in the UFC, it’s going to be one hell of a fight.”

Read entire article...

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

YouCantHandleMyRiddum site profile image

11/15/12 4:49 PM by YouCantHandleMyRiddum

Of course plenty of female fighters paved the way for Honda, but the reality is that Honda is the one that came in and revolutionized the sport. For example, Michael Jordan did it for basketball. Gretzky did it for Hockey. Yes, these two are considered the GOATS of their respective sports but Honda has the potential to join them. I wouldn't mind seeing Honda vs Tate 2 in the UFC.

fapout site profile image

11/15/12 2:25 PM by fapout

I'd love to see Gina and Ronda fight.

TheKidAintMine site profile image

11/15/12 1:53 PM by TheKidAintMine

This is correct.No Rousey = No WMMA in the UFC.Gina Carano got WMMA mainstream media attention and Rousey is getting WMMA into the UFC and to the next level.

GriffinQ site profile image

11/15/12 1:47 PM by GriffinQ

Rousey might not be a pioneer for WMMA... But I don't think she's ever claimed to be. What she is is an Olympian, a marketable champion, and the daughter of a pioneer for women's combat sports in the US.Miesha, sorry, but you just don't stack up, especially because you're the farthest thing from a pioneer yourself

Shogun of Harlem site profile image

11/15/12 1:40 PM by Shogun of Harlem

This is the truth. Ronda is only a pioneer in being the first woman in the UFC. Other than that she is competing in in WMMA because of the people Miesha mentioned. And WMMA is semi-popular because of Gina.

Feesha site profile image

11/12/12 1:32 PM by Feesha

Well put, Tate definitely didn't start from the bottom and shouldn't have put it that way. Tate played a role in promoting that rivalry, and still does. Some say she’s bitter, but she is getting attention. Maybe in your eyes Tate is just a pawn in the game, but every piece plays a part :-) I see the progression that happens on a smaller scale too… the small names who compete in local shows matter too, because for a lot of people, those local shows might be the first time they paid attention to women’s MMA.

Racer X site profile image

11/12/12 1:24 PM by Racer X

Has Rhonda CLAIMED to be a pioneer of WMMA? If not, what is the problem? Did I miss an interview where Rhonda said things that are in dispute, or is Miesha just saying she was doing it before Rhonda was? Griffin and Bonnar weren't pioneers either, but their epic brawl brought a lot of attention to the sport. Someone tell me what actual problem with history that Tate has here. What is the actual beef? I can see if she's saying this for attention, but make it about fighting in the cage, not being bitter about who get's credit for what. It's going to be a different answer for different people forever.  Somehow I think trying to diminish someone who beat you in competition isn't the path to elevating your own stock.

timmyboy1233 site profile image

11/12/12 1:22 PM by timmyboy1233

Sub

BuyTheTicketTakeTheRide site profile image

11/12/12 1:08 PM by BuyTheTicketTakeTheRide

Gina, imo.

duckhuntgangsta site profile image

11/12/12 12:55 PM by duckhuntgangsta

No need to hate on Gina. Gina was a legit kick boxing fighter and MMA fighter. I think Rhonda might be more of a fighter at her core but let's not diminish what Gina accomplished. She was the first person to prove that there could be mass appeal in WMMA.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!